Booking "luxury accommodation" at Worthy View

glastogirl88

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going on my own for the second year in a row, and going by coach, is making me strongly consider booking Worthy View.  Packing up a muddy tent and dragging it across the site was exhausting last year.  Does anyone know what the Bellepads and Cloud Houses are like? I quite fancied a Podpad but they look quite small and closely packed in.

23 hours ago, OBface said:

Never understand people's complaints on the hill/distance from the site however. They're really not that bad.

Either are the campervans but if you're near the back of the CV field/WV, the extra walking each day adds up to a massive waste of time over the 5 days. 

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Though you're less likely to pop back to your tent or van to grab something or for a nap, so you you're not necessarily losing out.

This is true but unless you're going wind assisted it can be difficult to make it from 10am into the wee small hours without a pitstop. 

Was quite refreshing this year staying in a tent again. Finally got the missus around to that and her mates too for 2017. Nothing better than making it from the tent into the pit for ZZ Top in 6 minutes. Think that was the clincher. 

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I never go back to the tent, unless it's to crash out for the night.  Always too much of a hike, even when I'm in the vicinity (i.e. up at the Park).

Think I've only ever done it once, to change footwear.

Likewise, I never go back to the tent once I'm out. I pack a bag with everything I need for the day - sun cream, beers, water, snacks, rain poncho, a jumper for later - and then I'm out for the day.

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 11:22 AM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Demand for all of these pre-booked options seems to just increase year on year.

That's what the festival wants though isn't it to reduce on the tents left behind. It does seem each year they are giving different options for  pre-erected tents in different areas of the site

There are all sorts of societal shifts which will also increase the popularity.  Fewer young people own cars now compared to the previous generation, so a pre-booked tent is a handy way of cutting down on the amount of gear you have to bring with you - to say nothing of the fact that people arrive onsite far earlier now than they ever used to, so you skip having to queue overnight on the Tuesday to bag a decent space.

Despite enjoying my stay in Worthy View last year I have to say I am looking forward to returning back inside the fence next year. I like the idea of Camplight to save me the hassle of lugging my accommodation down to the Farm but as I am going solo this year I may well just chance my arm and see where I end up on the wednesday.

I'm considering booking a tent at WV for myself this year. I'm going by myself and I'm thinking about a 2-man Yurt. I'm the first to admit I'm a c**t but feel free to remind me, so I know whose company I share.

I've been to Glasto twice before (2014/2015) and the second time was from Australia, where I now live. I had an amazing time, but the whole thing was quite exhausting and I'm looking for ways to make things easier. Having a tent to arrive to and not have to pack up at the end would make a big difference, I think.

But, I've never done WV before. Previously I've camped at Pennards and haven't ever had an issue (yes it's noisy but by the time I'm ready to sleep, I'm ready to sleep. Arcadia won't keep me up). I'm torn about whether it's worth spending so much money and I'm interested in the experience of others who've stayed there before.

Here are my preliminary thoughts about the upsides and downsides:

PROS: Tent ready on arrival and I can leave it behind; quieter camp space

CONS: Feeling 'away' from the main site; a long walk from PGA;

The other factor is that I've always arrived at the PGA queue really early, and the wait has been a really enjoyable part of my experience. I love the taxi at 4am from where I'm based in Frome and hanging around with tired, excited people. I'd still want to do that, but obviously when I'm in, I'm no longer racing to a camp site, but merrily making my way to WV.

I guess what I'm asking is: is this actually worth it, given what I'm looking to avoid?

I've just found myself looking at a website called Cap Kerala at Glastonbury, and i've just had to stop to vomit. That's the sort of greed and overindulgence that's fucking spreading it's disease throughout society. Prices start, for 2 people, from £8,225 for 5 nights, yep, EIGHT THOUSAND 

:blink:

16 minutes ago, kalifire said:

There's a shuttle bus from Gate A up to Worthy View.

No idea frequency and journey time, though - folk who arrived with us that were staying there opted just to walk it, as by the time you're up to the top of Pennards it's only another 7 or 8 minutes hike.

1 minute ago, kalifire said:

I'm considering booking a tent at WV for myself this year. I'm going by myself and I'm thinking about a 2-man Yurt. I'm the first to admit I'm a c**t but feel free to remind me, so I know whose company I share.

I've been to Glasto twice before (2014/2015) and the second time was from Australia, where I now live. I had an amazing time, but the whole thing was quite exhausting and I'm looking for ways to make things easier. Having a tent to arrive to and not have to pack up at the end would make a big difference, I think.

But, I've never done WV before. Previously I've camped at Pennards and haven't ever had an issue (yes it's noisy but by the time I'm ready to sleep, I'm ready to sleep. Arcadia won't keep me up). I'm torn about whether it's worth spending so much money and I'm interested in the experience of others who've stayed there before.

Here are my preliminary thoughts about the upsides and downsides:

PROS: Tent ready on arrival and I can leave it behind; quieter camp space

The other factor is that I've always arrived at the PGA queue really early, and the wait has been a really enjoyable part of my experience. I love the taxi at 4am from where I'm based in Frome and hanging around with tired, excited people. I'd still want to do that, but obviously when I'm in, I'm no longer racing to a camp site, but merrily making my way to WV.

I guess what I'm asking is: is this actually worth it, given what I'm looking to avoid?

I stayed in WV for the first time last year. In my experience having pre-pitched accomodation not only lightened the load I had to carry but totally took away the stress of the wednesday travel chaos. I could sit back on the coach and know that it did not make any difference what time I arrived. Incidentally, whilst it is a long walk from PGA there is a shuttle service from the coach station to WV.

As for feeling away from the site, well sort of. The site is quiet and regimented so it definitely feels less buzzy than the regular camping fields. As for the location itself, It didn't feel too far away. Strummerville is right outside the gate, providing a nice stop on the way back up the hill. You get down the hill to the railway track in around 10minutes so the SE corner/Avalon/Glade/Other are all within fairly easy reach. Obviously a bit more a stretch to JP, SH and Pyramid. On the sunday morning I made it from the bell tents near WV entrance to JP for She Drew the Gun in around 30-35 minutes and this involved trudging through the mud.

For me the big plus was not having any stress on the wednesday. The tent itself, a 4 man bell in which stashed 5 people comfortably was excellent and very comfortable. The little bar/cafe area gives you a great view at the end of the night which was pretty nice.

As for the negatives, I think they oversell the toilets, there are limited posh ones, but portaloos in the majority of the field, I'd rather they'd have compost toilets. The queues for the showers looked massive in the morning but this was not really an issue for me as I adopted the traditional festival ablution method.

16 minutes ago, Hotchilidog said:

I stayed in WV for the first time last year. In my experience having pre-pitched accomodation not only lightened the load I had to carry but totally took away the stress of the wednesday travel chaos. I could sit back on the coach and know that it did not make any difference what time I arrived. Incidentally, whilst it is a long walk from PGA there is a shuttle service from the coach station to WV.

As for feeling away from the site, well sort of. The site is quiet and regimented so it definitely feels less buzzy than the regular camping fields. As for the location itself, It didn't feel too far away. Strummerville is right outside the gate, providing a nice stop on the way back up the hill. You get down the hill to the railway track in around 10minutes so the SE corner/Avalon/Glade/Other are all within fairly easy reach. Obviously a bit more a stretch to JP, SH and Pyramid. On the sunday morning I made it from the bell tents near WV entrance to JP for She Drew the Gun in around 30-35 minutes and this involved trudging through the mud.

For me the big plus was not having any stress on the wednesday. The tent itself, a 4 man bell in which stashed 5 people comfortably was excellent and very comfortable. The little bar/cafe area gives you a great view at the end of the night which was pretty nice.

As for the negatives, I think they oversell the toilets, there are limited posh ones, but portaloos in the majority of the field, I'd rather they'd have compost toilets. The queues for the showers looked massive in the morning but this was not really an issue for me as I adopted the traditional festival ablution method.

There definitely weren't enough toilets, wasn't too bad for men as we had urinals, but for ladies and blokes in need of a number 2 the queues were pretty bad. Mrs jass figured out is was easier in the morning to wait until we had got down and use the ones outside the entrance.

Shower queues weren't too bad, went down there at around 09.30 each morning and only really queued for about 15 minutes a time. Although when we were heading down into the festival at around midday they looked much bigger.

6 hours ago, The Nal said:

Either are the campervans but if you're near the back of the CV field/WV, the extra walking each day adds up to a massive waste of time over the 5 days. 

We were in the bell tents at the back so the furthest point at WV. Still wasn't too much of an issue for me. 

Point really was to say the hill is nowhere near as bad as some make out though. Less than 5 minutes I reckon.

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 4:43 PM, Seldom Seen Kid said:

Going on my own for the second year in a row, and going by coach, is making me strongly consider booking Worthy View.  Packing up a muddy tent and dragging it across the site was exhausting last year.  Does anyone know what the Bellepads and Cloud Houses are like? I quite fancied a Podpad but they look quite small and closely packed in.

Just so you're aware, there was a 2-3 hour wait each way for the shuttle to worthy view from Gate A, where the coaches drop you off. I'm not sure if its normally more frequent or if this was just due to the heavy traffic and mud though.

1 hour ago, Becks12 said:

Just so you're aware, there was a 2-3 hour wait each way for the shuttle to worthy view from Gate A, where the coaches drop you off. I'm not sure if its normally more frequent or if this was just due to the heavy traffic and mud though.

That's good to know. I usually arrive at the site at around 8am on the Wednesday , were the queues bad all day? 

I waited around an hour late afternoon about 5ish for the shuttle. After the 8 hour coach journey from Brighton I head reached a state of zen and was ok with the wait knowing my accommodation was waiting for me at the top of the hill.

So it did appear that the delays carried on long into the day, but how much of that was to do with the general traffic chaos that day I do not know.