Where do we start?

pinkmolly226

It's my boyfriends first time this year, arriving at 8am on wed. Once the tent's up and we've had our first drink where should I take him first? Maybe just grab a few beers and see where our legs take us? 

Ive been 3 times but I defo still don't think I've seen everything and couldn't get tickets the past 3 years so there maybe new stuff I don't know about ha! 

Sooooo excited to see his wee face when he see's the place :D 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, calcium_kid said:

Last year was my first time, and my friends who have been a few times before, just took we on a wonder around site on the Wednesday afternoon, was a really great way to start my festival, and it was when I first realised just how big the place was!

It's enormous! There was a group of us the past few times and they liked to hang about the tent a lot but just me and bf this year, we have no intention of being near the tent apart from sleeping lol. This is going to be the longest month of our lives now haha xx

26 minutes ago, pinkmolly226 said:

It's my boyfriends first time this year, arriving at 8am on wed. Once the tent's up and we've had our first drink where should I take him first? Maybe just grab a few beers and see where our legs take us? 

Ive been 3 times but I defo still don't think I've seen everything and couldn't get tickets the past 3 years so there maybe new stuff I don't know about ha! 

Sooooo excited to see his wee face when he see's the place :D 

Which gate, and which camping field, are you heading for? And, to my mind, the first job is to find the nearest loos, water supplies and bins. Then take your Glasto maps with you and work outwards from where you're camping - being sure to stop regularly for a drink or two while having a good look around to get your bearings and to people-watch! Exciting!

29 minutes ago, pinkmolly226 said:

It's enormous! There was a group of us the past few times and they liked to hang about the tent a lot but just me and bf this year, we have no intention of being near the tent apart from sleeping lol. This is going to be the longest month of our lives now haha xx

I still regret spending too much time at my tent last year, went a bit too hard the first couple of nights, and by Sunday I could barely stand up. Learnt from my mistakes, and now even more excited than last year to go. Will be my Girlfriend and Mums first year this year, and first ever festivals, both pretty daunted by it all, but I know they are both going to love it. 

32 minutes ago, JanieM28 said:

Which gate, and which camping field, are you heading for? And, to my mind, the first job is to find the nearest loos, water supplies and bins. Then take your Glasto maps with you and work outwards from where you're camping - being sure to stop regularly for a drink or two while having a good look around to get your bearings and to people-watch! Exciting!

I'm not sure, we're getting the coach down and usually camp at the other stage but maybe change it up this year, need to decide before we leave lol. We'll be pissed before we even make it half way round lol.

29 minutes ago, djdavejohnson said:

I always try and cover as much ground as possible on the Wednesday whilst things are at their quietest. Great opportunity to explore the site and get your bearings. Don't forget the efests meet in the evening (that's also a reminder for myself!).

Aww yeah that's right I seen that thread, very good place to start, lots of ppl to meet! 

@pinkmolly226 I'll always be grateful for the plan insisted upon for me, by the people I camped with last year at my first festival. They were adamanat that that is how I should start my Glastonbury relationship and I can't imagine doing it any other way.

After pitching up by Wednesday lunchtime, we headed straight to the top of the Park and climbed the hill to the Glastonbury sign. During the walk up, I was strictly not allowed from turning around at all! We got to the top, I gave the 'G' a little kiss and then, and only then, was I allowed to turn around...

WOWSERS!

Having been to many festivals, nothing had truly prepared me for the truly extraordinary vista that lay before me. A city, no less, of colour and noise and diversity and people and happiness and community. Pictures show me beaming with the biggest smile and I'll never forget that moment. I repeated it a number of times during the festival, including on my own during one of the nights, when looking out peacefully over the fully illuminated night-time of the festival was equally incredible.

If that works for you guys, do it. It''l blow his mind and give him a life-long memory of his first Glastonbury.

:)

Ben

I always like to take a stroll up the hill behind the ribbon tower in the park on the Wednesday afternoon Great view from there and some good people watching over a few initial beers. Then stroll across to the stone circle and down through the greenfields area. Gives a nice journey through the more chilled side of things before the music etc kicks off. 

15 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

@pinkmolly226 I'll always be grateful for the plan insisted upon for me, by the people I camped with last year at my first festival. They were adamanat that that is how I should start my Glastonbury relationship and I can't imagine doing it any other way.

After pitching up by Wednesday lunchtime, we headed straight to the top of the Park and climbed the hill to the Glastonbury sign. During the walk up, I was strictly not allowed from turning around at all! We got to the top, I gave the 'G' a little kiss and then, and only then, was I allowed to turn around...

WOWSERS!

Having been to many festivals, nothing had truly prepared me for the truly extraordinary vista that lay before me. A city, no less, of colour and noise and diversity and people and happiness and community. Pictures show me beaming with the biggest smile and I'll never forget that moment. I repeated it a number of times during the festival, including on my own during one of the nights, when looking out peacefully over the fully illuminated night-time of the festival was equally incredible.

If that works for you guys, do it. It''l blow his mind and give him a life-long memory of his first Glastonbury.

:)

Ben

Excellent start, I think this is the answer I was looking for. That is how we shall break in the festival :) 

12 minutes ago, rubenz said:

I always like to take a stroll up the hill behind the ribbon tower in the park on the Wednesday afternoon Great view from there and some good people watching over a few initial beers. Then stroll across to the stone circle and down through the greenfields area. Gives a nice journey through the more chilled side of things before the music etc kicks off. 

Yeah I was thinking stone circle myself. There's just so much to show him, we'll be needing good hiking boots for the first day! 

14 minutes ago, pinkmolly226 said:

Excellent start, I think this is the answer I was looking for. That is how we shall break in the festival :) 

That's great - glad to help!

It just seems like the 'natural' starting place to me. From there, you can choose your descent down into the rest of the site, and use the map to plan a little route, or just see where your noses take you. As @rubenz suggested above, going from Park, over to Flagtopia, past Strummerville and through to the Sacred Space is a brilliant way to see the sides to Glastonbury that other festivals can't deliver. Then maybe to Greenfields and Avalon and you've seen so much of the 'old' Glastonbury even before the music and mania think about starting!

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22

2 minutes ago, mungo57 said:

anyone know if they are getting the craft cider stalls back this year? Think they were Thatchers last year.... in fact almost certain they were..... that would be a good place to start your festival :D

I would have thought so.

Think they recently announced they'd extended their partnership with Thatchers so I'm sure the craft bars will be returning.

On that note, Thatchers Heritage is a lovely drop for those who haven't tried it!

Edited by JoeyT

Just now, JoeyT said:

I would have thought so.

Think they recently announced they'd extended their partnership with Thatchers so I'm sure the craft bars will be returning.

thats good, thanks mate.

Had Big Apple once in London and once in Torquay since the festival last year, but it was so nice at Glasto that I was counting on it being back this year. 

27 minutes ago, mungo57 said:

thats good, thanks mate.

Had Big Apple once in London and once in Torquay since the festival last year, but it was so nice at Glasto that I was counting on it being back this year. 

Had a couple of nice traditional Thatchers' on the walk between the Pyramid (right of the stage) to the Other stage, think I tried the Heritage and the Big Apple, both very nice but I wouldn't recommend having too many!

When I took my boyfriend for the first time, once I'd guided him to our camping spot & we had the tent up, I just told him to wander where he wanted to without giving him any pointers as I trailed along behind him, & let him explore it all for himself - it was amazing watching his face change as his mind got blown more & more by everything he saw!  

Personally I like to grab some bevvies from the Cider Bus and some munch and sit in the Pyramid field for an hour or so taking in the beauty of the stage and the sweep of the field, then head up towards the Park and see what happens.

But ultimately I can't think of anything you could do that wouldn't be enjoyable on Wednesday, as from my experience the whole site is full of punters bursting with excitement, smiles from ear to ear and trying to immerse themselves in the festival. I haven't been anywhere in the festival on the Wednesday without a spectacular atmosphere, everyone is fresh and ready to have as much fun as can be thrown at them.

I wouldn't even judge those who choose to stay at their tents as I imagine it's because they are getting to know their neighbours and making new friends, or catching up with old ones, at my first Glastonbury I spent the first hour after the tent went up playing beer pong a few feet away from said tent with newly introduced neighbours. (I was well impressed they had lugged in a wallpapering fold-up table - what dedication to the sport).