Mercury Rev

McCor

they still seem to play pretty heavily from Deserter's Songs in their recent setlist so i'd expect similar at the festival, with a few from their new'n and then one or two from the rest. expecting them to sub the Park myself but i guess there are a few places they could realistically take

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

they still seem to play pretty heavily from Deserter's Songs in their recent setlist so i'd expect similar at the festival, with a few from their new'n and then one or two from the rest. expecting them to sub the Park myself but i guess there are a few places they could realistically take

Yeah, I naturally assumed The Park. Haven't seen them in years. Fully expect their set to provide the peak of my emotional breakdown over the weekend. In a good way!

27 minutes ago, russycarps said:

bloody flaming lips wannabes! Though jonathan was there for a couple of their decent old albums.

Crap live. I quite like their records though. I'll give them another chance, clashes depending.

Haha, believe it or not I had the Glastonbury playlist on last night and the missus walks in and says "I've not heard the Flaming Lips in ages!"

5 minutes ago, kerplunk said:

Looking forward to seeing them for the first time at Lunar Festival in early June, or at least I was until someone said they're crap live - bloody buzz-killers! In some ways it's better to have low expectations I guess...

seems like they are inconsistent rather than crap, keep the faith!

I used to spend weekends at my dads when i was about 9 or 10. Would spend a lot of my time on Zelda Ocarina of Time. My brother who was 24 at the time used to play an album over and over while i played. For years i was oblivious to what it was.

In researching acts for this year, i thought id start at deserters songs. Found myself singing the words to songs like Holes,  Endlessly, Opus 40 and Godess on a Hiway. It all came flooding back to me. Truly a wonderful experience rediscovering music and memories like this and realising how entwined the two are.

I've also thoroughly enjoyed rediscovering these and hope to catch them, clashes permitting. Their UK shows late last year got positive reviews:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/nov/28/mercury-rev-oval-space-london-observer-review

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/whats-on/music/gig-review-mercury-rev-at-brudenell-social-club-leeds-1-7508837