M83

mike86

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, neil_hill_1 said:

does anyone know what they are like live, worth a go? they could either be drab and boring or beautiful and atmospheric (like sigur ros). answers on a post card x

Quite energetic, didn't play anything particularly dreamy on the HUWD tour, which is why...

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Absolutely brilliant on the Hurry Up We're Dreaming Tour.

... I totally disagree with this

1 minute ago, Tuna said:

Quite energetic, didn't play anything particularly dreamy on the HUWD tour, which is why...

... I totally disagree with this

That's fair enough.  The de-duoing of the band has led to a back catalogue split down the middle.  The later stuff can be thought of as a new band, since the dreamy side of it seems to have been pretty much discarded.

So, if you're looking for early, shoegazy M83, you are likely to be disappointed.

3 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

That's fair enough.  The de-duoing of the band has led to a back catalogue split down the middle.  The later stuff can be thought of as a new band, since the dreamy side of it seems to have been pretty much discarded.

So, if you're looking for early, shoegazy M83, you are likely to be disappointed.

They only did one album as a duo, well two if you count the M83 album, but they really gained any kind of public profile with Dead Cities, after that point it is all Anthony Gonzalez exploring what interests him.  Even on Dead Cities there are solo Gonzalez tracks.

Not listened to the new album yet, still making my way through SXSW bands... less than a thousand to go now!

1 hour ago, rzwodezwo said:

Am I the only one around that actually liked the new album? Do it, Try it; Solitude; Walkway Blues; Go!. So many good tunes! 

I like it.

It does go a bit cheese-80's-muzak in the middle, but there's enough in there to make me excited to see the songs played live. Do it, Try it is just hands in the air feel-good cheesy piano-house with a killer chord progression. That's going to make me very happy!

:)

Ben

setlist from Coachella

1. Reunion
2. Do It, Try It
3. Steve McQueen
4. We Own The Sky
5. OK Pal
6. Intro
7. Wait
8. Go!
9. Midnight City
10. Outro

would guess this is pretty close to what we'll be getting at Glastonbury i mean... only two songs from the new album which is good, but still a lack of old album material, and no Couleurs!

Edited by FloorFiller

2 minutes ago, Noeliam said:

They only played 45 minutes at Coachella!

I watched it on youtube, it was really good (then again i'm a big fan).

and I liked the new album :) Road Blaster, Laser Gun, Solitude, Go!, The Wizard...

oh really? well i'd expect we'll get longer than that - an hour at least - so no doubt a few more songs from Junk added

Disappointed as HUWD was my favourite album of theirs/his. And they're completely different I'd say, not that there's anything wrong with that, but Junk just hasn't been my cup of tea so far, hopefully I get it sooner or later. I like the look of that setlist if we're looking around the same time at G, although unlikely I'd love to see Teen Angst, Lower Your Eyelids to Die with The Sun and Couleurs added in