Who is the next dividing headliner Glastonbury could book?

Matt42

So after two years of two very dividing headliners with Metallica and Kanye West, who else in the future could Glastonbury realistically book that might receive some similar backlash?

I would expect if Glastonbury are gonna book acts like Rihanna... But I'd imagine Ed Sheeran might receive some backlash too? Biffy might get criticism for not being big enough... But it's just interesting to think if there are still acts out there that could relieve the magnitude of backlash as Metallica or Kanye?

Post your thoughts!

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Headliners are always going to divide if you ask me. All 3 of them this year have done so... I can't get my head around how the who can headline after only doing it fairly recently... It's not like they're an up and coming act who have grown in the last 5 years. Then you get the Florence / Mumford / Biffy lot who people claim aren't big enough to headline.

Going forward I think someone like Adele could cause a bit of a stir?

Surely Foos are nailed on for next year.

Sheeran would be a divisive choice on these forums but with the crowds he'd go down an absolute storm. that field would be packed out for sure

a pop act like Swift or Rihanna or anything like that would get a pretty mixed reaction. Take That as well (although as just a threesome now it seems they may have lost their chance). just anything that isn't your standard Glastonbury 'rock and roll' headliner. rap? nah. metal? nah. Hawaiian trip hop? nah

Take That!

I agree, but then a second question must be asked.. In that would Glastonbury ever book take that? ;)

I'm trying to think of realistic headliners that could happen very soon. The only one that immediately springs to mind is the likes of Rihanna / Taylor swift / Katy Perry / gaga. But I don't think Perry or Gaga will ever do it personally..:

Wu Tang Clan?

well yeah any act who isn't nearly big enough to headline is going to be divisive. in terms of other hip hop acts who could headline, at this moment in time i don't think there are any. don't see the festival ever going for Drake, and Kendrick's at least one album away from reaching those heights (though probably wouldn't be booked for a long while after that)

Going forward I think someone like Adele could cause a bit of a stir?.

Surely not? I can only see Adele being welcomed with open arms. I won't testify to being a big fan but the global success she has had cannot be argued against. A British female singer-songwriter on her scale headlining could only be lauded couldn't it?

Surely not? I can only see Adele being welcomed with open arms. I won't testify to being a big fan but the global success she has had cannot be argued against. A British female singer-songwriter on her scale headlining could only be lauded couldn't it?

Agreed, no-one would bat an eyelid if Adele was announced.

We've had pop in the form of Beyonce and she wasn't all that controversial, so Taylor Swift wouldn't be that much of a big deal. At a festival where Lionel fucking Richie gets the biggest crowd, pop acts aren't going to divide opinion anymore, at least not for the majority. Kanye was controversial because he is controversial as a person, Metallica were controversial because people fear what they don't know. Another metal band would still be controversial, but another hip hop act would need to be a controversial figure themselves to be controversial, Kendrick wont get a petition once he's big enough.