Who is the next dividing headliner Glastonbury could book?

Matt42

Let's be real, the way it goes every single name in the world of music could easily be mentioned as a dividing headliner, for all sorts of reasons, valid or not.

What's much more difficult is to name an act that would have no divisive comments and welcomed by all. Doubt there is one.

No one really gave a shit when the Foos were announced. Maybe they weren't welcomed by all, granted, but they're certainly a headliner which has made the most sense over the past few years - going strong for 20+ years, never played near the headliner slot, etc...

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love Green Day to do it. Love a bit of pop punk and a lot of fun live.

In terms of dance headliners, Calvin Harris is an act that is definitely big enough and popular to headline these days and wouldn't cause any controversy, but I don't think he will. I'd say they'd be more likely to put him as Other headliner.

That and his show nowadays is awfully disappointing. When he was on at Isle of Wight last year, you can't even see that he's doing anything on stage other than having pressed play, or that it's even him. He's got the tunes, for sure, but was better when he actually had a live band.

Any of that crowd of guff like Calvin Harris, David Guetta, Aviici, Hardwell, Swedish House Mafia, Martin Garrix or similar offensive nonsense would be a travesty, on any stage.

But they are sliding in that direction on The Other Stage 

Let's be real, the way it goes every single name in the world of music could easily be mentioned as a dividing headliner, for all sorts of reasons, valid or not.

What's much more difficult is to name an act that would have no divisive comments and welcomed by all. Doubt there is one.

Even Radiohead will result in a massive thread winging about how their new album is too weird.

would've kind of made sense ten years ago (and then again ten years before that) but their last trio of albums was an absolute car crash commercially (and critically) and i don't think there's much interest in them right now. pop punk is barely represented at Glastonbury, anyway

I'm intrigued FloorFiller. Would you be pro Green Day at Glastonbury or not? 

I'm intrigued FloorFiller. Would you be pro Green Day at Glastonbury or not? 

nah, not really. even when they played Reading in 2013 i recall people thought it was a bit of an anti-climax and a bit too late, so for them to play Glastonbury now would be odd. unless they have another huge revival in success like they had with American Idiot, i can't see them being booked to headline many major UK tests again any time soon

nah, not really. even when they played Reading in 2013 i recall people thought it was a bit of an anti-climax and a bit too late, so for them to play Glastonbury now would be odd. unless they have another huge revival in success like they had with American Idiot, i can't see them being booked to headline many major UK tests again any time soon

Mm. Seen em 3 times live live and been thoroughly blown away! They are a band who make me feel so bloody good.

Shame as they smash it if given the chance by EE  and ME but unfortunately wouldn't be likely at all to get it. I do think that the Reading demographic suits them to a tee.

Would:

Green Day - Prince - Radiohead

sound like a strong trio to you?

Edited by willutalk

Them, Biffy and Foos would be an ideal headline trio, subbed by Rise Against, Quiet Riot and Cannibal Corpse.

Them, Biffy and Foos would be an ideal headline trio, subbed by Rise Against, Quiet Riot and Cannibal Corpse.

what festival are we talking about here?

Mm. Seen em 3 times live live and been thoroughly blown away! They are a band who make me feel so bloody good.

Shame as they smash it if given the chance by EE  and ME but unfortunately wouldn't be likely at all to get it. I do think that the Reading demographic suits them to a tee.

Would:

Green Day - Prince - Radiohead

sound like a strong trio to you?

aye Reading/Leeds is the only UK fest i can really see them being booked for these days, and considering they only did it in 2013 it won't be for a while now

Green Day - Prince - Radiohead is obviously a strong trio, but i just don't think Glastonbury would ever go for Green Day. as i said, pop/punk isn't a genre that's very widely (if at all) represented at Glastonbury - it's pretty much left for Reading/Leeds

Anyone said Kendrick yet? That could be a moment.

i don't see it happening for a good few years (it took long enough for them to book both Jay Z and Kanye) but when/if it does happen i don't think there'll be nearly the same uproar as there has been for the other two - he won't be the first hip hop act headlining which was the main problem with Jay Z, and he isn't (yet) a controversial figure like Kanye is

i just don't think Glastonbury would ever go for Green Day. as i said, pop/punk isn't a genre that's very widely (if at all) represented at Glastonbury - it's pretty much left for Reading/Leeds

Even if they did decide upon pop/punk as the next 'barrier' to be broken, surely they'd go for Paramore before Green Day. Relevant and female-fronted.

Even if they did decide upon pop/punk as the next 'barrier' to be broken, surely they'd go for Paramore before Green Day. Relevant and female-fronted.

i'm kind of surprised Paramore were never booked when they were slightly smaller - say mid-Other level. think they would've gone down pretty well. now that they're at headliner level, again, i don't see it ever happening

i don't see it happening for a good few years (it took long enough for them to book both Jay Z and Kanye) but when/if it does happen i don't think there'll be nearly the same uproar as there has been for the other two - he won't be the first hip hop act headlining which was the main problem with Jay Z, and he isn't (yet) a controversial figure like Kanye is

He's definitely not as controversial as Kanye or Jay Z, but if he was given a bump up to headline, I could see there being a massive furore about it. "Is he big enough!?!?" etc... I can envisage a similar thing happening when Foals are given the inevitable bump up too. 

In terms of controversial genres, I don't know what else would prove to be controversial. Electronic, pop, hip-hop, metal; it's all been done. 

think Foals will definitely be given the bump up by Reading/Leeds first, so by the time they do headline Glastonbury (probably the fifth album cycle) it'll seem like a natural fit

but yeah if it does ever happen with Kendrick, i don't think it'll be for at least another five or so years when he's got a couple more albums under his belt

Surely not? I can only see Adele being welcomed with open arms. I won't testify to being a big fan but the global success she has had cannot be argued against. A British female singer-songwriter on her scale headlining could only be lauded couldn't it?

Yeah, Adele definitely has the feeling of universal acclaim to her. I mean I don't really like her music but I appreciate her credibility as an artist (as pretentious as that sounds) and I think if there really is one festival that she would do then it'd be Glastonbury. If the rumors are true of her being there as a punter this year then I reckon she's definitely on the cards for a Friday headline slot. Plus that means 2 female headliners in a row which yet again sets the festival apart from all the rest.

Yeah I went, thinking it'd be good fun based on what I'd read on here. It was dull as shite, and even their supposed best album which they played in full all sounded like one song. Was soaked as well, having watched Frank Turner, Deftones and SOAD in torrential rain beforehand. Wish I'd left to see CHVRCHES and Crystal Fighters, but I felt so devoid of all energy that I couldn't be arsed fighting my was out of the crowd.

I thought people were exaggerating the "AYYYY OHHHHHH" thing. They weren't.

When Foals played 2013? I think it was, didn't Yanis greet the crowd with 'it's good to be home?' or similar? If they feel that way about G then if G want them to headline I'd say they'd choose them over R and L.

They probably would choose Glasto, but I can't see Glasto offering them a headline slot next year, whereas I can see R&L offering them it.