Leave No Trace - How to make it happen?

Cheesey

This was the scene in Wicket Family Camping on Monday afternoon - pretty good effort I reckon! (The messy part at the top is a different field - Lime Kiln)

IMG_20150629_150248.jpg

Outside Wicket Ground was the usual disgusting mess:

IMG_20150629_144503.jpg

It seems to me that the Leave No Trace campaign just isn't working, but I'm not sure what else can be done.

We found several tickets in the abandoned tents while looking for anything worth salvaging. It would be trivial to ban these people from ever attending again. That would be a start at least...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In some festivals in Europe there is a rubbish bag deposit attached to the ticket:

1) You pay an extra amount on the ticket (let's say £10)

2) At the entry gate you are given a token and a large bin or recycling bag

3) When you leave you hand your bag, and the token back and you receive your £10 note back. 

Whilst it won't go all the way, I think this would help a fair bit to at least clear up the site and encourage people to recycle. 

Some of us were sat around til around 1pm, wasn't looking too bad round our way.  The rubbish and recycling pens seemed to work well, compared to the random piles that usually build.  

I felt that, while there is still a long way to go the litter was much better than in previous years.  One of our campers was from California and had previously only been to Coachella, he explained that it took him a couple of days to get used to the filth and then he "got it" and will be returning with friends. 

Much respect to the people at West Holts this year, that field has been a shit tip in years gone by but it was pleasant the whole time this year.  The message IS getting through.

Someone had a flag up in their campsite that said "LOVE THE FARM, GET OFF YOUR FACE". Sums it up I think.

I saw one saying " Hello, is it pills you're looking for" up the back of the pyramid.

The E25 campervan site was spotless when we were leaving but I know that's not the same as the campsites.

You look at the family and campervan fields and it just smacks of being older and more responsible. Is that a harsh assumption?

I think its more to do with people setting a trend in those fields. Camped in the bottom of Pennards and a few adult family groups nearby left all their stuff. Age doesn't seem to be much of a factor from what I can tell.

People still think that tents left behind are donated to charity. I spoke to some people who were leaving their tent behind as they thought they were doing a good deed.

This.

It's still one of the the most damaging rumours in festival history.

It's definitely something that could be used to create a powerful film to be played at the stages

Edited by Alcatraz

We were in wicket and there wasn't a thing left. A camping crew fella was telling me that they have the cleanest field every year without fail. He was also the oldest serving camp crew guy so I reckon he knew what he was talking about.

Festival we are going to this weekend give you a bin bag with your wristband and take a deposit off you. They then snip a bit off your wristband when you take the rubbish back and give you your money back. There are only 2500 folk there but something along these lines could maybe be developed at Glastonbury.

Folk who are willing to leave their shit everywhere probably won't give a toss about a deposit but atleast that way everyone gets some face to face encouragement at the start.You sense that if nothing is done they will move to more pre erected tent fields.

You look at the family and campervan fields and it just smacks of being older and more responsible. Is that a harsh assumption?

I think that's unfair - the groups I've been with in the past have never pissed against fences or left shit around. It's an attitude rather than an age thing. To be honest I'm not sure I could afford to leave a perfectly good tent on site and buy a new one every year anyway :lol:

People still think that tents left behind are donated to charity. I spoke to some people who were leaving their tent behind as they thought they were doing a good deed.

Maybe a publicised tent donation area of sorts? People wanting to donate perfectly fine tents rather than chuck them is a good thing, but obviously doing the above isn't acceptable. 

This.

It's still one of the the most damaging rumours in festival history.

It's definitely something that could be used to create a powerful film to be played at the stages

Is it my imagination or didn't the festival itself say one year that tents left behind would be collected by the local scout group, or something similar? Maybe around 2005 or so

Please to say Disabled campsite (spring ground) was clear of abandoned tents, sadly tho chairs and various bits of camping stuff including duvets and air beds were left by the bins :( we took everything home including a broken camping chair and made sure no litter was left around our camping spot.

Surely it's not difficult to take things home, you are carrying less than when you came in.

Is it my imagination or didn't the festival itself say one year that tents left behind would be collected by the local scout group, or something similar? Maybe around 2005 or so

Yes they did cant remember the year though. Not sure if it was actively promoted or one of Michael's ramblings that as ever was as ever misquote and then propagated by the media. Either way a major mistake in hindsight as people do genuinely believe they go to charity not landfill.

Edited by Splatt

Surely it's not difficult to take things home, you are carrying less than when you came in.

Exactly and well said.

It is easy if you can be bothered.

We took tent down in the dark by torch light and made sure every peg was out the ground and every little bit of litter put in a bag and taken to the bag place.

Yes they did cant remember the year though. Not sure if it was actively promoted or one of Michael's ramblings that as ever was as ever misquote and then propagated by the media. Either way a major mistake in hindsight as people do genuinely believe they go to charity not landfill.

I think it was in 2007.  It was one of the wettest, muddiest festivals of all time, so a lot of people just couldn't be bothered to pack up their stuff, and left in the belief that it would be donated to charity.  What wasn't made clear was that you were still supposed to pack your tent up and leave it in a designated area.

I think the festival has been paying the price for this ever since.