Kanye West

seumasbeathan

• Replies 908
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole "don't vote" business.

It's only worth condemnation if you're following it by way of bullet points. Watching his Trews show and the explanation he was giving, both before and after, it seemed perfectly reasonable to me. Here's a guy who understandably feels that the current political dynamic doesn't give us anything worth voting for, but that within that dynamic there are much better options than others, so when push came to shove, he picked one. I don't see the problem personally.

It's only worth condemnation if you're following it by way of bullet points. Watching his Trews show and the explanation he was giving, both before and after, it seemed perfectly reasonable to me. Here's a guy who understandably feels that the current political dynamic doesn't give us anything worth voting for, but that within that dynamic there are much better options than others, so when push came to shove, he picked one. I don't see the problem personally.

His initial "don't vote" thing was a tenable position on its own, not one I agree with but can appreciate the thinking behind it. His subsequent position that there are one or two cool cats about worth voting for amidst the shit, but ultimately we need to vote to keep the Tories out made a lot more sense to me and is largely the way I think. But the way he just switched his position one day made him look like an utter helmet that doesn't think things through, especially as he said it after voting registration had closed.

I went and watched the Mothership that night, drank cider and felt like I was at a big party.

I wasn't bothered about Kanye West playing, not into his music, but happy to be seeing a headliner on another stage. For those of us lucky enough to have Glastonbury tickets there were plenty of chances to have a good time.

After the Mothership finished, we bumped into the crowd leaving the main stage (as Kanye had finished) and was struck by a lot of the crowd not looking very happy (with a few exceptions - there were a couple of people with big smiles on their faces). Maybe its just a different experence to a sing along headliner?

Anyway just watched Kanye's performance on TV (I like to record all of Glasto). Thought it looked like an exciting start and it looked like he played quite a few of his hits ( even I knew a few songs). I think overall though it was a set for his fans. Kanye playing under those lights, singing mostly on his own was quite intense and there wasn't anything to look at other that Kanye ( just the way Kanye wanted it maybe). I also thought the set sagged in the middle (so did the Who's set, but I did enjoy their set a lot).

Anyway to summarise my thoughts - there were a few mistakes, but there looked like plenty for his fans to enjoy and others who were chemically induced for a Kanye West good time ( Rusty I'm thinking of you). Glad for those of you that enjoyed it and feel sorry for those who went along hoping for a good time and were disappointed, hope some of you came over to the West Holts stage instead, there was some legendary dance moves by me ( thanks to the cider) :-) . Wish I was back there now, instead of having to go to work in a bit.

Edited by Boopickledaddy

Bohemian rhapsody.

A new low for Glastonbury festival.

A self proclaimed superstar don't know the words?

Honestly lost for words. The worlds greatest festival got that?

Suede were great though

:D Of all the things to nitpick at.

I'd say you played right into his hands. Yeezy successfully trolled you.

Watching that on iplayer.. I don't think he did troll people. He just roughly knew the words and went with it.

I think if he had have let it build it up... Then when the "headbanging" bit came in, one of his tunes kicked in, it could have been absolutely fantastic. The crowd were singing, but then it all just stopped. That's the only issue I had with it. Not the idea, just how it ended.

From the reports, I expected a car crash at that point. It wasn't, you can tell by the crowd's sing a long. He should have just carried on with it.

looks like the Canadians are getting into the Glasto "spirit" and trying their best to stop any future Prince gigs in Toronto...

the Pan Am games are a much-maligned sporting event only about 4x more important than the Commonwealth Games..

https://www.change.org/p/toronto-pan-am-games-don-t-have-kanye-west-perform-the-closing-ceremony-for-the-toronto-pan-american-games

:D Of all the things to nitpick at.

I'd say you played right into his hands. Yeezy successfully trolled you.

Interesting. You think that Yeezy was being deliberately bad to make a point? Like Les Dawson's  piano playing?

Except Les was funny.

I didn't watch much (not really my thing) he was so flat even the very obvious auto tune couldn't correct it. But hey that's just Yeezy! What a guy! You got annoyed? He got ya there!

Kerching!!!1

He wasn't trying to cover Bohemian Rhapsody though. He was leading a singalong and it worked though that might not come across on the TV coverage what with it being so heavily centred around the act. It was one of the few touches that were especially for Glastonbury so fair play.

Also, he's not trying to hide his autotune. He's using it as an instrument and, again, it's worked time and time again.

That's as maybe, but he wasn't even playing any instruments up there - there were dozens of bands on any number of other stages all strumming guitars and suchlike. What makes Kanye so special that he doesn't think he has to do the exact same thing as everyone else does?

Meanwhile on the Other Stage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqvUr_0DZYw

Surprised nobody's mentioned this so far yet (well I haven't seen anyone), it takes the whole meaning of "doing nothing on stage" to a new level. I love it

Edited by jonodillieono

Deadmau5 was brilliant though - more than delivered what the crowd wanted and a great show. Everyone was loving it, I've not heard a bad word and the crowd only got bigger

That is surely a better measure than whether it's music you enjoy or one track gets to play out as the original remix (?)

Deadmau5 was brilliant though - more than delivered what the crowd wanted and a great show. Everyone was loving it, I've not heard a bad word and the crowd only got bigger

That is surely a better measure than whether it's music you enjoy or one track gets to play out as the original remix (?)

I was wondering what people's thoughts of him where, my friend went on his own Gillespie'd and he said it was the act of the weekend but in the state he was in I wasn't willing to trust him. He said the crowd was tiny and he judged that by "being able to leave the crowd half way through to get some water and then get back in 6 rows from the front with no hassle"