Stage capacities?

ogriff

What is meant by "capacity"? If more than 115k came to the Pyramid would there be a plan in place to stop more turning up? (hypothetically)

I'm sure I remember them being ready with extra barriers near the main entrances to the field for the Stones. I suspect they would struggle to close it off completely, but probably have ways to restrict the flow of people entering.

I definitely remember them closing off the Avalon field one year (possibly for the Wurzels?), and them having security on barriers at the entrance of the Park (for Radiohead's secret set, whenever that was).

I'm sure I remember them being ready with extra barriers near the main entrances to the field for the Stones. I suspect they would struggle to close it off completely, but probably have ways to restrict the flow of people entering.

I definitely remember them closing off the Avalon field one year (possibly for the Wurzels?), and them having security on barriers at the entrance of the Park (for Radiohead's secret set, whenever that was).

Yeah, I remember the wall of security guards at The Park. Do they have cameras on the stage areas and estimate crowd size via density?

I have visions of somewhere there counting, going: "450, 451, 452....shit, i lost count. 1, 2, 3" :)

I definitely remember them closing off the Avalon field one year (possibly for the Wurzels?).

Not sure if they did for the Wurzels, but they definitely did for Bruce Forsyth. I wasn't interested in him, but was trying to get through from cabaret to greenfields, and they were doing a 'one out, one in' system. Much easier somewhere like Avalon than other areas, though!

I think they did close off at least the stage-right entrance to the Pyramid from the markets during the Stones. You could still loop up and approach it from the back though.

Yes, we tried walking from the meeting point to the pyramid just before the Stones and were turned away, so we just went round the back of the tent field at the back of Jo Bananas and ended up right in the middle of the crowd with plenty of space around us !

Pretty sure they said there were about 14,000 at Royal Blood. It wasn't full, but you couldn't fit nearly half as many again in there.

Correct, 20,000 in JPT would be seriously dangerous

Thankfully I don't see anyone this year attracting that kind of crowd or near it

What is meant by "capacity"? If more than 115k came to the Pyramid would there be a plan in place to stop more turning up? (hypothetically)

I remember watching them closing the railway track end of Avalon Field when Brucie played in 2013.  I'd assume they have similar contingency methods for other stages.

Mind you, this is all probably considered beforehand with other options on other stages matched up to keep people spread more thinly.

Brucie should never have been on the Avalon.  Acoustic would have been more suitable considering the crowd size and cheese factor.

100k seems to be the general consensus on Stones crowd, and the stage left entrance had signs saying 'arena full' and there were fences about so I guess they tried to stop or reduce the influx at one point. I got there about 20 minutes in though so I got in fine. 

100k seems to be the general consensus on Stones crowd, and the stage left entrance had signs saying 'arena full' and there were fences about so I guess they tried to stop or reduce the influx at one point. I got there about 20 minutes in though so I got in fine. 

Was Dolly's crowd bigger than the Stones. I was quite close for the Stones so couldn't really get a feel to how packed it was. But for Dolly we came from West Holts after seeing PSB and could getting anywhere near to seeing her, coming from the side of the stage, where you can normally squeeze forward. I have never seen the Pyramid that busy, albeit we never usually arrive that late when we want to see a big act

Was Dolly's crowd bigger than the Stones. I was quite close for the Stones so couldn't really get a feel to how packed it was. But for Dolly we came from West Holts after seeing PSB and could getting anywhere near to seeing her, coming from the side of the stage, where you can normally squeeze forward. I have never seen the Pyramid that busy, albeit we never usually arrive that late when we want to see a big act

I was in a similar position for the Stones and Dolly, and I'd say Dolly's crowd was noticeably bigger. 

Sunday afternoon crowds always, without fail, 'look' bigger than headliner crowds because of the number of picnic blankets, chairs and loungers brought in by the local day-trippers. I don't think there were many people stretched out on the floor for the Stones, but there were thousands for Dolly.