There;s something going on with reusable cups at bars

Sawdusty surfer

lets knock this right on the head

whatever system is used

there will be no washing of cups onsite as that would be impossible to implement.

Cups that are reusable are sterilized at a factory many miles from the festival site. 

The devil is in the detail and I am sure there is some details that are missing and its not clear which bar operator if any will be using this system.

If this was being used on a wide scale would you expect to already know about it by now?

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They've introduced a £1 deposit at Twickenham for plastic cups. They are rubbish quality and end up cracked/split/with a hole in after a couple of pints, ends up adding 20% to the price of beer on the day. 

Would be happier with same crap cups as usual, on the basis that I put them in the bin when I'm done with them. 

I disagree, I have several of the disposable cups from Twickenham, The one next to me right now is from last years World Cup Sevens and it's been used pretty much every working day since then and not had a single crack or anything. they are pretty thick these ones (unless they have introduced newer, thinner ones but at the Sevens a few weeks back they seemed to be the same just different design)

First year I went to Electric Picnic in Ireland they had a similar thing, only it was a €1 refund per cup brought back. Come Sunday morning there was gangs of kids going around picking them up and collection them, I'd say they made a fortune!

I like the idea and I hope it works, but im worried the field might get littered with cups from people who think "meh it only cost a quid"

That's the main problem, there is a sizeable minority who have more money than sense and will throw them, (maybe as missiles), even if dropped on the floor they are a hazard as they are hard plastic, step on one with a muddy boot and you may well go over. It's a system that can work in a smaller controlled space but not on the farm.

I like the idea of a reusable cup on the provision they are cleaned. It wouldn't bother me whether it's a deposit based system where you can get that back or simply a fee based system.

I'm not knowledgable enough to know whether a reusable plastic cup and cleaning of the cups is more environmentally friendly than a disposable paper cup. If it was the latter then the problem of litter is what remains and that could be handled by deposits. Does anyone have any insight on this?

indeed....

so when you've had your first pint, unless you rinse it, you then carry around your dirty empty cup all weekend for when you might fancy a pint...?

Yep. Works a treat elsewhere.

Just like most people will carry around a rain jacket in case it rains, and/or a Fleece in case it gets cold, or a Bog Roll in case they need a shit. And plenty of people will carry around a few increasingly warm cans of low grade beer.

If someone is that lazy/unhygienic enough that they can't be arsed to rinse out their cup once in a while, then tough shit - they're probably the exact same people that are dropping their stuff on the floor already.

To be fair, carrying around a plastic cup all day *can* be a pain in the arse.  I know this because that's what I normally do.  In the evening particularly when I don't take a bag out with me, I struggled to find somewhere to put it.  It would just about fit in my coat pocket, but would invariably leak a few drops or I'd bash people in crowds with it.  I ended up throwing away one of my own cups from home on night and never brought one out with me again without a bag.  At least cans don't leak and when they're gone, they're gone.

A scheme where you swap your cup for a new one or get your deposit back is much better for the punter, but may be unworkable at the scale of Glastonbury.

Yep. Works a treat elsewhere.

Just like most people will carry around a rain jacket in case it rains, and/or a Fleece in case it gets cold, or a Bog Roll in case they need a shit. And plenty of people will carry around a few increasingly warm cans of low grade beer.

If someone is that lazy/unhygienic enough that they can't be arsed to rinse out their cup once in a while, then tough shit - they're probably the exact same people that are dropping their stuff on the floor already.

So before you go to thge bar you have to locate the nearest tap, queue to use it and then go for a pint! Excellent system.

If this was being used on a wide scale would you expect to already know about it by now?

I work in the Crew area so if there was plans for the public bars then  they would not let me know as it would not affect me - this ' going on the limited information ' may not not be site wide - we will soon find out. 

I'd just like to point out that taps are easily accessible. :)

I know that, it's not a problem with cleaning my own stuff my issue is with the rancid people who don't clean their stuff. The bar staff them have to handle this and they also come into contact with the taps from draught products.

Can't be for the whole site. Like people have said the queues will be stupid if each pint has to be poured individually and the machines that do 12 at a time couldn't be used. Also wouldn't the volunteers have to know how to use pumps and stuff, at the minute all they do is grab a beer/cider and take your money.

They should put a full length mirror by the taps so when you are washing your wellies or hogging a tap brushing your teeth you can look at yourself in the mirror and realise what a complete bellend looks like.

Except those very same people will then spend hours preening themselves in front of the mirror.

And, personally, I'd rather not see what state I'm in. 

For sure there will be no perfect system that will satisfy everyone. Personally though I'm really happy that they are trying something because the old system had to go.

Waste, mess and a big factor behind the litter mentality that soon sets in and affects the whole festival. Keeping one cup is a little bit more effort by each of us for the benefit of all. Just like 'love the farm, leave no trace': it has to be the way to go and I'm glad they are trying it.

Edited by marktea

Except those very same people will then spend hours preening themselves in front of the mirror.

And, personally, I'd rather not see what state I'm in.

I'd forget about that, it's when I get to Fleet service station/disaster relief zone on the way home and scare myself in the mirror.

Edited by Migraine

I'm certainly not going to be throwing anything on the floor, not only because I hate that as many others do, but because I can't afford to be paying an extra £ for every pint I buy :P

I like the system, just think it's better if you have a choice; you pay your £ deposit the first time, go back a second or third time and get a fresh cup/refill/whatever, then once you've had enough you return your cup, get your £ back, and can start again the following day. 

Edited by MattDavies__

I think this is a great idea. I can't imagine the logistics being simple enough for them to roll it out across the festival straightaway, but I'm all for it in future years if it reduces waste, litter and the festival's environmental impact.

(I've been moaning for years about how the festival doesn't have any kind of cup deposit scheme like Reading, IoW, etc - be really good to see them finally tackle this one in some way.)