There;s something going on with reusable cups at bars

Sawdusty surfer

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'd only have to part with that £4 once.

Unless you threw the cups away, which would make any extra expense your own choice.

I'd rather not part with the £4 at all and not be lumbered with four cups. My problem is that it's a premium on buying more than one and they could at least refund like I've seen elsewhere. Getting rounds will be interesting this year having to wait for friends to finish up but maybe there'll be less litter, less piss thrown and less queues of people buying for eight. Every cloud...

Would be good if you could clip the cups on to a lanyard or something.... I am so going to lose it...

Nice idea though - am assuming re-usable plastic cups are more sustainable than disposable paper ones (and less likely to litter the floor).

I'd rather not part with the £4 at all and not be lumbered with four cups. My problem is that it's a premium on buying more than one and they could at least refund like I've seen elsewhere. Getting rounds will be interesting this year having to wait for friends to finish up but maybe there'll be less litter, less piss thrown and less queues of people buying for eight. Every cloud...

yep, some people would rather keep their money and damage the world for other people to put right at those others expense.

Such people can often be found at UKIP meetings, as that's one of the haunts of the 'don't give a fuck about anyone but me' brigade. Perhaps that's you?

Or perhaps you're better than that, really? :)

This works amazingly at Latitude.

It's so nice not to be ankle deep in bloody plastic cups, that always makes me sad :(

Although they do swap your cup every time you get a new drink, so I'm not sure entirely how it would work without that.

The only downside to it was on the first day when the bars were a bit picky about which cups they took back (I.e. We don't have this design at this bar, you'll have to take it back to the one you got it from). That only lasted until Thursday evening anyway, then you could take it back to whatever bar you fancied.

They used a version of this at Lunar festival the other week, you bought your first pint and paid an extra pound and reused the same cup all weekend, it was not exchanged or washed, IMO it is not a viable system for Glastonbury, few people will want to trail a pint cup everywhere with them, it is certainly not hygenic even if the cup is only used by one person, after 5 days on a muddy/dusty farm it will not be clean, if you are buying 2 pints for yourself and a mate and using the same cups again you  may well get the wrong cup. Add to that the rip off cost of £1 for a 10p cup and it's a bad system for the punter.

yep, some people would rather keep their money and damage the world for other people to put right at those others expense.

Such people can often be found at UKIP meetings, as that's one of the haunts of the 'don't give a fuck about anyone but me' brigade. Perhaps that's you?

you go gurlllllllll

Will be interesting to see if this is rolled out to all of the bars, it's something alot of people have said would be a good idea for years and, as Glasto Worker says, something the WBC have pushed for.

In one of ME's q+a sessions a few years back he was asked about cup deposit schemes (like they always had at reading, which allows for some useful wombling for those a little short of cash) and reusable cup schemes (where a festival had successfully trialed a plastic tankard that could be lanyarded round the neck when empty) and he said that in his opinion such schemes were not workable at Glastonbury, which was a shame.

I for one would be very happy if this is site-wide.

They had these at Main Square Festival in France when I went two years ago, thought it was a brilliant idea. For €2 I got two great souvenir cups, one 250ml and one 500ml, but had I not wanted them, I could have my money back. For €1 a cup, it was great. 

Not sure if they were washing cups on site, when you went to the bar they tended to give you a new one. It was great to have so little litter and no children being sent round to collect massive piles of cups to get 10ps to pay for their parents' drinks!

so let me get this straight - you pay £1 per cup whenever you get one and never get a refund for it? Or can you return it and get a refund for your £1?

I get why this is good, but what happens when you finish your pint? You pop it in your bag and it gets cracked? then you have to shell out another £1 unless you can return it for your deposit back.

I remember Reading 2009 they were doing an extra 10p per paper cup and you get it back if you recycle the cup - me and my mates must have ended up with over 200 discarded cups we collected just to get the 10ps back for a free round!

so let me get this straight - you pay £1 per cup whenever you get one and never get a refund for it? Or can you return it and get a refund for your £1?

I get why this is good, but what happens when you finish your pint? You pop it in your bag and it gets cracked? then you have to shell out another £1 unless you can return it for your deposit back.

I remember Reading 2009 they were doing an extra 10p per paper cup and you get it back if you recycle the cup - me and my mates must have ended up with over 200 discarded cups we collected just to get the 10ps back for a free round!

To be fair, if it's only a quid, I can deal with a couple of breakages, but it is probably enough of a nudge to make me take care of it....

Intrigued about the 'Wombling economy' at other festivals... I bet there's a dissertation in that for someone... (no survey monkeys though, please...)

We've been bringing our own polycarbonate glasses for the past 3/4 years now.

I can't stand the paper cups you get, they're unstable and a pain to hold, this

year we've upgraded again and gone for polycarbonate pint (dimple) pots :-)

About £12-15 for 4. These things are sturdy as hell, no chance of cracking

unless you sit on them. only problem is that the pint still gets poured into the

original paper cup so there's still wastage there.

$_12.JPG

This might not even be happening site wide. Sawdusty said he's seen it in the Block 9 crew bar only at the minute...

There's no way this is site wide, Eavis has more sense. They may be trialling it at some of the smaller bars but I bet it goes the same way as the potato tent peg.

Intrigued about the 'Wombling economy' at other festivals... I bet there's a dissertation in that for someone... (no survey monkeys though, please...)

It is something I've always loved.  Reading always did it and many other festivals have as well.  Some people don't give a toss about throwing a cup on the floor at a loss of 10p, but it opens it up for those who could use some extra cash, maybe for some beers or, as we once did, for a couple of meals.  As Sawdusty says, you'll see kids doing it in between bands to raise themselves some extra pocket money and it's not unusual to see a couple of kids with some insane stack of cups that must be worth 30 quid or more.

My first ever festival I ran out of money (and therefore food and drink) on the Saturday and we weren't heading home til the Monday morning, it was shit.  At Reading, by contrast, I was able to spend more at the bar on a hot night than I could afford, safe in the knowledge that I could spend 20 minutes of the next day collecting enough cups and holders to but a couple of drinks and a couple of meals.

we have a load of plastic pint cups from Blur at Hyde Park a few years ago, I will just use them like I did when I last went in 2013.

And I don't mind paying the extra £1 a few times in case of a break but it would be a better scheme, and guarantee that they get recycled if they return even 50p of the deposit, would encourage punters to recycle and the kept 50p could pay to have them recycled

Edited by mungo57

It is something I've always loved.  Reading always did it and many other festivals have as well.  Some people don't give a toss about throwing a cup on the floor at a loss of 10p, but it opens it up for those who could use some extra cash, maybe for some beers or, as we once did, for a couple of meals.  As Sawdusty says, you'll see kids doing it in between bands to raise themselves some extra pocket money and it's not unusual to see a couple of kids with some insane stack of cups that must be worth 30 quid or more.

My first ever festival I ran out of money (and therefore food and drink) on the Saturday and we weren't heading home til the Monday morning, it was shit.  At Reading, by contrast, I was able to spend more at the bar on a hot night than I could afford, safe in the knowledge that I could spend 20 minutes of the next day collecting enough cups and holders to but a couple of drinks and a couple of meals.

First year Bingley Music Live did it it was 20p per cup, free beer all weekend for us! It's 10p per cup now and the kids race round picking them up. If you want to reduce the littering it's a better idea than the plastic cup one.