There;s something going on with reusable cups at bars

Sawdusty surfer

I'd rather not part with the £4 at all and not be lumbered with four cups. My problem is that it's a premium on buying more than one and they could at least refund like I've seen elsewhere. Getting rounds will be interesting this year having to wait for friends to finish up but maybe there'll be less litter, less piss thrown and less queues of people buying for eight. Every cloud...

There are queues of people buying 8 beers? When you can bring your own beers??

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes I do know why but its up to GFL if they want that to be made public and as the contract up to 2022 has to the best of my knowledge not been signed yet I don't want anything to interfere with that { if it all goes to plan that should be signed next week } 

there is many factors to this and its not clear if all the bars will be using the same system - time will tell

Fair enough, thanks. Glad to hear the WBC contract is set to continue - you guys do a fantastic job

We've been bringing our own polycarbonate glasses for the past 3/4 years now.

I can't stand the paper cups you get, they're unstable and a pain to hold, this

year we've upgraded again and gone for polycarbonate pint (dimple) pots :-)

About £12-15 for 4. These things are sturdy as hell, no chance of cracking

unless you sit on them. only problem is that the pint still gets poured into the

original paper cup so there's still wastage there.

$_12.JPG

I take a cup like this, but a cheapo £2 one, to fill with my boxed cider. It feels great drinking from it.

We've been thinking about this this morning and the general consensus of opinion is that it isn't going to be site wide, mainly because many people will find it a PITA to carry a pint plastic around with them all day especially if they aren't carrying a bag and it certainly won't fit in a normal pocket.

If the quid was a returnable deposit it would be more likely to be site wide.

I'll be back on site later and will ask Dennis that runs Wally's Bar what the score is. He'll know.

Edited by Sawdusty Surfer

When you arrive at Glastonbury you get your bag, magazine, lanyard etc. What's the argument (apart from the H&S issues discussed) for also supplying a pint/half-pint glass as part of this package as well. Yours to keep after the festival, but should it break you can exchange it, should you lose it then it's just a £1 to replace.

Don't want to lug the glass around all day? You could have a simple token system if you didn't want to lug your glass about, take it back to the bar (or specific glass return/washing space) and grab a token/coin that can be used to bet a new glass at other bars.

And don't get me started on bloody potato tent pegs! lol

Edited by Ponyegg

i do find the complaint of "carrying around a pint cup is a PITA" to be completely ridiculous. if it bothers anyone that much, make a value judgement on whether it's worth £1 to avoid that responsibility.

£1 is a fair price - of course these cups cost less than that to manufacture, but i reckon they will be some form of cleaning/sanitising going on, and that costs money.

this might not be site-wide - even if it were all WBC bars then i'd say almost definitely brothers and the cider bus won't be included, probably not the bimble in either?

plastic pint cups to take home with you - perfect for when you've got kids running around!

Would this idea make queuing longer? As far as I can remember last year loads of pints were already poured behind the bar, so as somebody ordered one the staff would just need to grab a pint rather than pour it from scratch. Saved a lot of time. Obviously this way will mean they do have to pour from scratch.

Doesn't affect me as I mainly drink my own booze, £1 for a nice souvenir cup is very nice too!

This works amazingly at Latitude.

It's so nice not to be ankle deep in bloody plastic cups, that always makes me sad :(

Although they do swap your cup every time you get a new drink, so I'm not sure entirely how it would work without that.

The only downside to it was on the first day when the bars were a bit picky about which cups they took back (I.e. We don't have this design at this bar, you'll have to take it back to the one you got it from). That only lasted until Thursday evening anyway, then you could take it back to whatever bar you fancied.

I think you may have the wrong end of the stick as all the bars have the same operator and it really does not matter what design you hand in although you may have asked ' for the same design to be handed back.

The standard cup is a clear cup - there is also various designs that are handed out ' in stages ' so it was very common for Customers to request that they be issued with a special design but these were only issued in limited batches so Bar A may be using them where Bar B is not.

In actual fact it would be rare for any bar to be handing out the special design on the Thursday as that is the first day they are open .

If they refuse to accept a cup in the future then ask to speak to a manager as whoever is telling you they cant accept them is talking complete rubbish.

2011-wbc-77.jpg

If people are that bothered by having to pay for and carry round a plastic cup perhaps they should have been putting your preferred paper cups in the bin rather than the floor and encouraging others to do so.

Really annoys me people cant be bothered to carry a cup 10m to the nearest bin and just dump it no the floor.

I agree though if it is to be implemented it is better with a returnable deposit scheme.

Edited by cham08

They've introduced a £1 deposit at Twickenham for plastic cups. They are rubbish quality and end up cracked/split/with a hole in after a couple of pints, ends up adding 20% to the price of beer on the day. 

Would be happier with same crap cups as usual, on the basis that I put them in the bin when I'm done with them. 

Standard system at beer festivals, pay for your 'glass', use it all day and either return it and get your deposit back or keep it.

Works well.

Oh and as for the cross contamination issues, by Environmental heath law, the you must change the glass for a clean one requirement only applies to a system called Autovac where the beer from the tray is recycled back into the pipes. It doesn't apply to normal hand pumps/ quick dispensers etc.

Would be good if you could clip the cups on to a lanyard or something.... I am so going to lose it...

Just catching up on this thread this morning, and this got passed over very quickly, I like this idea and definitely think this could be done.  

I'm all for this cup idea though. And if it isn't site-wide then will be trying to track down a bar that is doing it.. cant pass up the opportunity to get a great souvenir for a pound 

i do find the complaint of "carrying around a pint cup is a PITA" to be completely ridiculous.

yep. Here's betting most of the people thinking that will quite happily carry around some cans with them at some point, and an empty cup is much less of a pain in the arse.

Edited by eFestivals

They've introduced a £1 deposit at Twickenham for plastic cups. They are rubbish quality and end up cracked/split/with a hole in after a couple of pints

I found this out a couple of weekends ago at the Aviva final. I had to "double up" (which I do at festivals) my cup to make it sturdier.

Lots of cups lying about in the stands to pick up too.

A pound isn't much in the grand scheme of things, if people haven't finished their pints then they forfeit the next round!

My thoughts exactly.

I just hope it doesn't get to the stage where two girls need to share one cup......

Edited by Smash1984

Dropped a load of stuff off this evening and swung by Maceo's (Block 9 crew bar) for a quick pint before leaving.

The only option available was a plastic pint cup which cost a quid. The cup was non returnable so no quid could be refunded. The idea, it seems, is that you hang on to your plastic cup, reuse it and the i guess take it home with you. The barman was Italian and it was quite hard to get any sense out of him as he didn't speak much English. Nice chap I must add.

After chatting to a few other customers, I think that all crew bars will have this system of cuppage and some public bars may also have it (but some said not)

I'll be back on site tomorrow and will try to find out more. Anyone else on here know what is going on sitewide?

DSC_00501.jpg

They did this at a local festival i went to, i thought it was a great idea :)

Here's a better system, use the regular paper cups, charge 50p/£1 extra for the first pint and return a clean folded up cup for recycling at the bar for money off your next pint, a paper cup will fold up and fit in your pocket/bag no need to pick up muddy cups off the floor those who throw them pay a 'tax' for their laziness. The bins at the festival won't fill as quickly as empty pint cups use a fair bit of space, clean paper will recycle much better. No H&S issues.

I'm definitley happy to use this reusable cup idea. As others have said, it's already in place at other festivals like Latitude. And £1 a cup really isn't bad considering it's £3 at Latitude from what others are saying (it was £2 when I was there in 2010). All you had to do was hand yours over and you got a fresh one back, pretty simple really. I'm actually using mine from Latitude right now! It's seen better days, but it's done well over the last five years!

image.jpg

sounds unhygienic to me. Wouldn't mind the idea if I can return it and get a fresh cup each time, as long as the bar cleaned them they could still be reused.

lets knock this right on the head

whatever system is used

there will be no washing of cups onsite as that would be impossible to implement.

Cups that are reusable are sterilized at a factory many miles from the festival site. 

The devil is in the detail and I am sure there is some details that are missing and its not clear which bar operator if any will be using this system.