There;s something going on with reusable cups at bars

Sawdusty surfer

Dropped a load of stuff off this evening and swung by Maceo's (Block 9 crew bar) for a quick pint before leaving.

The only option available was a plastic pint cup which cost a quid. The cup was non returnable so no quid could be refunded. The idea, it seems, is that you hang on to your plastic cup, reuse it and the i guess take it home with you. The barman was Italian and it was quite hard to get any sense out of him as he didn't speak much English. Nice chap I must add. 

After chatting to a few other customers, I think that all crew bars will have this system of cuppage and some public bars may also have it (but some said not) 

I'll be back on site tomorrow and will try to find out more. Anyone else on here know what is going on sitewide?

DSC_00501.jpg

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm nice idea but certainly can't see myself managing to keep hold of one :P

Would be better if the £ was just a deposit and you could return them, but I guess the logistics of getting them washed + reused are pretty difficult. 

Agree...and I love it when there is the quid deposit scheme and hoards of kids spend most of their festival finding cups,,,buying icecream...finding cups...buying icecream....finding cups......

Agree...and I love it when there is the quid deposit scheme and hoards of kids spend most of their festival finding cups,,,buying icecream...finding cups...buying icecream....finding cups......

This is what happened at Latitude except as it was £3 a cup you could pay for a pretty decent beer run if you could minesweep enough

...pushes kids over, ice cream falls out of their hands, relieves kids of cups, gets another round in. Win! 

I can't imagine this for being any draught products. Cross contamination between a used cup and a beer tap on a mass scale would have environmental health kicking off. Unless they are washing them like a normal glass.

So is it not like an exchange thingy? You bring the cup back and get a new one? Aye cos when I've worked in pubs we weren't allowed to top up the punters previous glass even though some of them thought their drink tastes better that way and would be slightly disgruntled at the shiny new glass thrust under the pump. 

Hmm nice idea but certainly can't see myself managing to keep hold of one :P

Would be better if the £ was just a deposit and you could return them, but I guess the logistics of getting them washed + reused are pretty difficult. 

The WBC pioneered this system for Latitude but No cups were ever washed on  site - it saves on mess but it does mean a huge amount of cups that had been used and were shipped back to be sterilised.

the system at latitude worked like this - customer paid a deposit - when they wanted a second pint they handed back the cup and were issued with a new cup

they could return the cup at any time and get their deposit back.

By the way GFL rejected this system some years ago as the WBC were planning to do it one year but they kicked it out the park so it will be interesting to find out what made them change their minds.

time will tell if it will be in all the bars.

I can't imagine this for being any draught products. Cross contamination between a used cup and a beer tap on a mass scale would have environmental health kicking off. Unless they are washing them like a normal glass.

Re-using cups (without washing) is something that's done and works fine at other events. Don't see why Glastonbury would be any different.

I'd say if people are going to get sick, then by far the bigger danger is because they've not bothered to wash their hands after using the long drops.

Out of interest any idea why they rejected it previously?

yes I do know why but its up to GFL if they want that to be made public and as the contract up to 2022 has to the best of my knowledge not been signed yet I don't want anything to interfere with that { if it all goes to plan that should be signed next week } 

there is many factors to this and its not clear if all the bars will be using the same system - time will tell

By the way GFL rejected this system some years ago as the WBC were planning to do it one year but they kicked it out the park so it will be interesting to find out what made them change their minds.

It's becoming the festival standard - I guess driven by the likes of agreenerfestival.

Shambala have done it like this for a few years, and even the little festival at Bristol's St Werberg's City Farm last weekend was using this system (it wasn't last year).

I think it's a great idea. If nothing else it's going to make the throw-it-on-the-ground types stop and think.