There;s something going on with reusable cups at bars

Sawdusty surfer

Interesting read. Thanks.

I think that GFL and associated companies have a large enough interest in this, both on environmental and monetary grounds to commission the building of some kind of mobile washing plant, or to build one locally as a permanent installation. If the latter would probably get other work as well.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Music to my ears and lovely to hear.

I have to be careful not to be seen as spamming but is there any way I could offer free samples to people on here to possibly pass on to event organisers or is that against the rules do you know?

I would guess you would be better off contacting the festival directly.

That looks amazing but is it any quicker than the current system at festivals with that machine that pulls 16/25 (I can't remember which but I know the cups were in a square) cups at once?

well I have never seen any MDU's pour 16 or 25 pints as they normally come as dispensing 12 pints - in fact when the MDU's were first built Weights and Measures demanded that it poured a pint from two 1/2 pints.

Any type of machine would have to be Weights and Measures certified and I am sure there would be a issue with the magnet at the bottom of the cup.

Now some large bars at Glastonbury may have six or more MDU's but to have them fully cranked up does take more people but its rare that demand is that great + there is a art to it as the trick is not to keep on pouring when demand tails off.

They are very sensitive and the gas pressure { the gas mixture is different to the bottles used in a pub } has to be just right as otherwise they will come out flat or a Mr Whippy head and temperature is a key factor.

2011-wbc-77.jpg

I've just come back from Supernormal festival and that was my first experience of the reusable cups thing. It's a tiny festival but I have to say I'm a big fan. The only issue for me is it gets a bit grim not being able to wash the cup properly, especially if you change drinks, but I gave it a rinse under the tap and it was fine. For five days I might consider bringing a bit of fairy liquid! But then what about the impact on the land...

Either way I think it's definitely the way forward. I carry a bag at Glastonbury most of the time anyway and they weigh nothing plus they make great souvenirs. It was so nice to be at a festival without a carpet of cardboard cups too.

I think the best bet is the Latitude option - replace the cups with other sterilised cups - but you don't need a fresh one every time. Once a day or so would do it.

• 4 weeks later...

I've just come back from Supernormal festival and that was my first experience of the reusable cups thing. It's a tiny festival but I have to say I'm a big fan. The only issue for me is it gets a bit grim not being able to wash the cup properly, especially if you change drinks, but I gave it a rinse under the tap and it was fine. For five days I might consider bringing a bit of fairy liquid! But then what about the impact on the land...

Either way I think it's definitely the way forward. I carry a bag at Glastonbury most of the time anyway and they weigh nothing plus they make great souvenirs. It was so nice to be at a festival without a carpet of cardboard cups too.

I think the best bet is the Latitude option - replace the cups with other sterilised cups - but you don't need a fresh one every time. Once a day or so would do it.

The Bar staff are instructed to replace the cup whenever one is handed back - you can ask but you wont get the old one back - if you want to keep the same cup then just don't hand it back.

One of my mates collections as he works in one of the main bars - there was reports that some were leaking this year - The WBC sold the company to a French Company and this year was their first batch so it looks as if they did not get the mixture correct.

did you encounter any problems at Latitude this year ?

41_o.jpg

I like the idea of the stainless steel £3 cups. I would feel better paying for one of those and reusing it rather than a plastic one. Even if you store a plastic one in a bag/pocket its bound to get smashed up in the event of dancing around whilst Gillespied (which last time I checked was the whole idea of going to festivals :P). If they did that for Glasto 2016 I would definitely buy one. I fucking hate the cardboard cups.

The Bar staff are instructed to replace the cup whenever one is handed back - you can ask but you wont get the old one back - if you want to keep the same cup then just don't hand it back.

One of my mates collections as he works in one of the main bars - there was reports that some were leaking this year - The WBC sold the company to a French Company and this year was their first batch so it looks as if they did not get the mixture correct.

did you encounter any problems at Latitude this year ?

41_o.jpg

Sorry should have been clearer - I wasn't at Latitude myself, just commenting on the idea as read about here.

Sorry should have been clearer - I wasn't at Latitude myself, just commenting on the idea as read about here.

its a common request but the bar staff are warned not to do it as we have no idea what was in the cup before its handed over - by always handing out a unused cup this protects the bar operator and the customer.I know pubs will do it but they are not under the spotlight as there is always officials floating about at festivals.

From that Pilton Party link:

"We have worked closely with British steel manufacturer APS and Glogg to design and manufacture a cup which will help us to reduce single use cardboard cups at Glastonbury festival events."

Sounds like these steel ones might be in general use next year then.

as long as it's high grade stainless steel - else if say a real cider is left overnight in the cup the steel would react with the salt and the acids produced during fermentation - which can make hell of a mess of your kitchen tent.

its a common request but the bar staff are warned not to do it as we have no idea what was in the cup before its handed over - by always handing out a unused cup this protects the bar operator and the customer.I know pubs will do it but they are not under the spotlight as there is always officials floating about at festivals.

Yeah as I said: replace the cup with a different sterilised cup. Would be madness to expect them to wash and return the same one each time!

Edit: think we've got our wires crossed -I thought they did refills at Latitude? If not then something like what they do at supernormal then. Use the same cup and refill. If you want to exchange for a clean different one you can. I'm not sure it's workable at Glastonbury. Just commenting on the merits of various systems.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

Yeah as I said: replace the cup with a different sterilised cup. Would be madness to expect them to wash and return the same one each time!

Edit: think we've got our wires crossed -I thought they did refills at Latitude? If not then something like what they do at supernormal then. Use the same cup and refill. If you want to exchange for a clean different one you can. I'm not sure it's workable at Glastonbury. Just commenting on the merits of various systems.

I imagine that some people have this idea that they can be washed in a domestic dish washer when in fact it requires a special autoclave ' back at the plant ' so none are ever washed onsite - the cups at Latitude ended up being shipped back to France.

Only a few staff bars at Glastonbury used them last year - once its scaled up its a massive operation and with them being so many bar operators I have to wonder  who is going to pick up the bill.

time will tell.

Its been the same system at Latitude since the wbc introduced it ten years ago .

Punter walks up buys a pint and pays a deposit for the cup - each time they go back they hand in their old cup and they get a new cup - they never get the old cup back.

They are never refilled by the staff.