Headliners 2016

thewayiam

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they're crawling out of the woodwork, the Adele fans are on here...the poster of ultimate taste and gig history says he's "endeared" to her, then it's compliments for the new album (I wonder if that post really reads, "i didn't tell you lot...but...i have the first 2 albums, and I think this one is even better") a few posts follow right off of that, even CG...it's the start of the 'i guess it's all right to say i'll go catch Adele' trend...

Just now, tevaburger said:

they're crawling out of the woodwork, the Adele fans are on here...the poster of ultimate taste and gig history says he's "endeared" to her, then it's compliments for the new album (I wonder if that post really reads, "i didn't tell you lot...but...i have the first 2 albums, and I think this one is even better") a few posts follow right off of that, even CG...it's the start of the 'i guess it's all right to say i'll go catch Adele' trend...

she's not my ideal headliner by a long shot, but she's definitely not the worst headliner they could book either. i wouldn't be nearly as annoyed by her booking as i would by Muse. it's at least different, and she's the biggest star in the world right now so it'd be hard to fault (y'know, apart from piano ballad after piano ballad inevitably getting boring pretty quickly)

Just now, FloorFiller said:

she's not my ideal headliner by a long shot, but she's definitely not the worst headliner they could book either. i wouldn't be nearly as annoyed by her booking as i would by Muse. it's at least different, and she's the biggest star in the world right now so it'd be hard to fault (y'know, apart from piano ballad after piano ballad inevitably getting boring pretty quickly)

Exactly. She's dull as ditch water but she's not the problem. Muse and coldplay are. We need to not lose our focus here.

Those 2 appalling acts who have played many times before are sign of terrible things to come. One would be depressing, but both together would be catastrophic.

Only our negativity towards the situation has any chance of meaning it won't happen. ALL negative vibes must be in the direction of muse and coldplay, not adele.

She's shit, but at least she's new shit.

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah I'd rather it wasn't Muse, I'm tempted to use that night for Arcadia. Those recent sets are shite. I do think if Adele is booked though she'll be the last one we'll hear about.

3 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Exactly. She's dull as ditch water but she's not the problem. Muse and coldplay are. We need to not lose our focus here.

Those 2 appalling acts who have played many times before are sign of terrible things to come. One would be depressing, but both together would be catastrophic.

Only our negativity towards the situation has any chance of meaning it won't happen. ALL negative vibes must be in the direction of muse and coldplay, not adele.

She's shit, but at least she's new shit.

Look on the brightside though, it's not two headers from only 3 years ago returning with the same bands under as well taking unwarranted higher slots.

Musical taste aside...and the way Glasto / Pyramid headliners are booked now:

Adele 'deserves' it.

Muse dofuckingnot.

Coldplay don't either. If it was the gig before they split, maybe so.

The latter two are on the wane (commercially & artistically). Most will wanna hear the older stuff they've already performed at Glastonbury. 

And yes I am a hypocrit for Leonard Cohen (its getting close to last fucking chance for L to headline, but at least he's still recording).

My ideal: Radiohead / L-Co (yeah, I just did that) / Adele.

Do you really want to spend so much time at the Pyramid for the headliners anyway though?  We all moan if the headliners are as boring as this years are looking, but you can bet your bollocks there will be something better on elsewhere.

9 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

Do you really want to spend so much time at the Pyramid for the headliners anyway though?  We all moan if the headliners are as boring as this years are looking, but you can bet your bollocks there will be something better on elsewhere.

i don't want to be there every night, but there's nothing better than having at least one night at the Pyramid watching an act you absolutely adore just knock it out of the park. sure i'll go watch Adele, but i won't be absolutely filled with glee whilst watching her set. fingers crossed for some fantastic Other/WH/anywhere else headliners that will hopefully fill that void for me

12 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

We're only talking about headliners, not bringing a blanket and chair for the day. Everyone here knows how great it is to see a band you love nail the headline slot, which makes it all the more perverse we're discussing fucking Coldplay and muse once again. 

Just now, Ben Holland said:

Why is everyone so sure Adele is playing? She has flat out ruled it out i thought saying its too big for her for her stage fright.

Coldplay I think will be playing though.

nobody's sure of it, she's just one of the current frontrunners, and since we haven't heard much about anybody else, we're going with it. a lot of acts rule themselves out before eventually playing. it's how you get people to stop asking you in every single interview

Coldplay seem like almost certainties at this point

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

nobody's sure of it, she's just one of the current frontrunners, and since we haven't heard much about anybody else, we're going with it. a lot of acts rule themselves out before eventually playing. it's how you get people to stop asking you in every single interview

Coldplay seem like almost certainties at this point

frontrunner for some people maybe.

from my point of view, there's almost no chance she's headlining at present. maybe if she announces some massive shows before it then she'll have a chance, but she clearly hates doing them before now, so her first one won't be live on BBC headlining Glastonbury.

I know exactly what you are saying about watching a special headline set on the Pyramid. It doesn't happen every year though does it? There's not many possibilities this year, if you're just going by who is actively touring. I still think its a shame Blur didn't tour this album more. Roses and Blur next year could have been a brilliant couple of headliners. Blur might have headlined in 2009, but they have made a bloody good album since then, and they have a shedload of songs they could play, instead of the same ones back then.

11 minutes ago, Ben Holland said:

Why is everyone so sure Adele is playing? She has flat out ruled it out i thought saying its too big for her for her stage fright.

Coldplay I think will be playing though.

That trio is Neil's best guess and he usually knows his stuff.

Plus there don't really seem to be that many probable alternatives. Prince seems less likely than ever, stone roses ruled themselves out, too soon for radiohead new album, foo fighters are next year for some reason. ELO are too small to headline apparently. Fleetwood Mac seem a possibility though, if they are prepared to lower their fee.

Who else is there?

The likes of foals are going to be at reading supposedly.

Time to face up to facts: it's the most dreary 3 headliners of all time

Just now, russycarps said:

That trio is Neil's best guess and he usually knows his stuff.

Plus there don't really seem to be that many probable alternatives. Prince seems less likely than ever, stone roses ruled themselves out, too soon for radiohead new album, foo fighters are next year for some reason. ELO are too small to headline apparently. Fleetwood Mac seem a possibility though, if they are prepared to lower their fee.

Who else is there?

The likes of foals are going to be at reading supposedly.

Time to face up to facts: it's the most dreary 3 headliners of all time

aye, the list of acts getting ruled out early on this year is pretty big and leaving the list of possible headliners to only a few, so with nobody else seeming like a likelihood, i'm just gonna stick with it being those three until something, ANYTHING else comes along. i mean, why else would Muse be in contention to headline next year unless there was fuck all else available!? 

1 minute ago, ghostdancer1 said:

Red Hot Chili Peppers are headlining multiple European festivals around Glastonbury. loads of well-known songs, never headlined before. same management as Metallica and Muse.

why are they ruled out?

Well they are also woefully dull, so in theory should be in the running with the other prospective headliners....