Block 9

t0paz

Don't ask me how but we didn't end up doing any SE corner last year so really looking forward to getting stuck in this year!!! Are there any particular times they restrict access or is it just dependent on crowds at the time? Presuming getting there prior to a headliner finishing would be best? Would absolutely love to see Confidence Man but not sure I'll want to brave the NYCD queue 😅

2 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

With the beefing up of Silver Hayes and a strong Arcadia line-up this year, the crowd will be nicely spread about the site from midnight to 3am. After that it's the SEC (including Block9) or The Park. You should have no great issues getting anywhere, though some areas will be rammo for certain stuff - example: Bicep on IICON will likely be pretty darn packed.

Ben

Didn't see this before I posted but you just answered my question, hadn't really thought about it in that way with other strong lineups. Can't wait! 

5 minutes ago, thewomble said:

Don't ask me how but we didn't end up doing any SE corner last year so really looking forward to getting stuck in this year!!! Are there any particular times they restrict access or is it just dependent on crowds at the time? Presuming getting there prior to a headliner finishing would be best? Would absolutely love to see Confidence Man but not sure I'll want to brave the NYCD queue 😅

Since they added Iicon getting into the area has always been easy in my opinion just a moving queue if anything and post headliners finishing normally the busiest time. I remember signs saying it was full for the last 2 years and we still just walked in. Getting in the inside venues are very long and not worth it whoever is playing in my opinion, the temple always has a massive looking queue but it moves very quickly as people just go in and out all the time.

2 minutes ago, CantWaitForGlasto22 said:

Is the Downlow indoor or outdoor venue? Sorry for the stupid question … might try to get there this year 

Indoor so operates a queue system which requires a lot of waiting post-headliners.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

UPDATE

Con Man in the Downlow is a live set!

Ben

Oh my. Hopefully Saturday cos I've got bugger all to do at headliner time at the moment

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, CantWaitForGlasto22 said:

Is the Downlow indoor or outdoor venue? Sorry for the stupid question … might try to get there this year 

It's indoor.

Insanely popular so you'd need to get there early to have a chance of getting in.

I know most people love it, but I really didn't rate it tbh, far better venues in SE Corner. 

9 minutes ago, nikkic said:

It's indoor.

Insanely popular so you'd need to get there early to have a chance of getting in.

I know most people love it, but I really didn't rate it tbh, far better venues in SE Corner. 

Tend to agree. It has this semi-mythical status but it's not worth the long queue. Once you're in it's fine but would much rather be at the Temple or Genosys. I never ventured towards the dark room though, maybe that's why the queues are so long!

Given the shite Saturday headliner options I may well end up heading to the SE corner/Downlow early and stick around for ConMan. I mean, I almost definitely won’t do that because my fidgety drugged up self won’t be able to stay in one place for that long, but it’s an idea…

• Like 1

I absulutely LOVE the downlow. luckily they don’t make Ursula queue (she typically spends a couple of hours doing her makeup though, so swings and roundabouts 😂)

It is brutally hot in there though…need regular breaks in the outside area just to keep cool.

15 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Roni Size says he’s headlining IICON on the Sunday 

IMG_8395.png

The question now is what does headlining that stage mean, don’t really care as I won’t be there on the Sunday but I’m interested in the definition, to me the best time to play that stage would be 12 or 1, that is when you probably have peak numbers 

Afternoon Session

Also new for this year, queer nightlife institution NYC Downlow will hold its first-ever Downlow Day Party on the afternoon of the Saturday edition (June 29). This will be hosted by New York legend François K (Body & Soul).

Fashion icon and activist Katharine Hamnett is also set to join forces with Block9 in a bid to encourage people to vote through her trademark, power-packed slogans and instantly recognisable graphic style.

Edited by Traci
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Franky said:

Anyone got a guestimate on day and time for Bicep? 

going off previous years Icon tend to have the "big name act" on the Fridays about 12-2 I would say that's a good shout

A few good names in there and nicely spread across the four block 9 stages. Bicep would normally go straight to the top of my list but haven't seen the Chroma show yet. Some questions for the regular attendees. 

1. How busy would you expect it to get for Bicep? Presume there was a similar sized crowd interested in Four Tet last year. Is it a case of get down the act before or worse?

2. NYC Downlow interests me a lot. The queues however have made me think it's somewhere I won't bother with. Are there any particular nights or times that are better to chance it? Did I read before it isn't widely known that it opens on Wednesday? 

3. What is the Meat Rack like? An indoor venue? Any way similar to the type of music/crowd in NYCDL? 

4. Is Genosys then just a big outdoor stage? 

The block 9 announcement is probably the first thing announced in the SEC that sounds like I'd be into, but don't want to spend hours of my night queuing either. 

57 minutes ago, TiZuff said:

friday would be a mad dash to get there post headliner, kinda hoping for sunday as ill be at justice and its easy to get in. 

Roni Size posted on Instagram that he is the Sunday headliner.

57 minutes ago, LeFreak said:

A few good names in there and nicely spread across the four block 9 stages. Bicep would normally go straight to the top of my list but haven't seen the Chroma show yet. Some questions for the regular attendees. 

1. How busy would you expect it to get for Bicep? Presume there was a similar sized crowd interested in Four Tet last year. Is it a case of get down the act before or worse?

2. NYC Downlow interests me a lot. The queues however have made me think it's somewhere I won't bother with. Are there any particular nights or times that are better to chance it? Did I read before it isn't widely known that it opens on Wednesday? 

3. What is the Meat Rack like? An indoor venue? Any way similar to the type of music/crowd in NYCDL? 

4. Is Genosys then just a big outdoor stage? 

The block 9 announcement is probably the first thing announced in the SEC that sounds like I'd be into, but don't want to spend hours of my night queuing either. 

1. I think Bicep on IICON has the potential to be a field-closer.

4. This is Genosys. Outdoor behemoth with tremendous sound

artworks-000174572651-1jqzs7-t500x500.jpg.df4f8077c94e78ffd5e140e824db6c4b.jpg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

1. I think Bicep on IICON has the potential to be a field-closer.

4. This is Genosys. Outdoor behemoth with tremendous sound

artworks-000174572651-1jqzs7-t500x500.jpg.df4f8077c94e78ffd5e140e824db6c4b.jpg

It’s such an interesting one as if you close that field you close the whole of the SE corner which seems very counter productive, are you just going to have empty venues and areas as people can’t get to them, it must be on at headliner time which may make it less of a draw although I agree it will be madness.