PJ Harvey

Fearless_Fish

So what are we expecting of her then? I can't imagine her latest album landing particularly well on that prestigious Pyramid slot - but a "best of" set would have me there with bells on. I wouldn't expect a "best of" from her, but looking at her most recent setlists she seems to split her set between a full performance of the new album followed by a "best of" so I guess it could be a goer?

I've only seen her once before - at Glastonbury in 2016 - which was dominated by Let England Shake / Hope 6 Demolition Project - so an opportunity to see her belt out some old classics would be brilliant.

she was great in 2016, it suited the slate grey skies and sombre sunday night vibes excellently i thought, though i can see why people wouldnt be into that so much. Ill be there with bells on 

16 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

she was great in 2016, it suited the slate grey skies and sombre sunday night vibes excellently i thought, though i can see why people wouldnt be into that so much. Ill be there with bells on 

Yeah 2016 was very good. A bigger spread over the older albums would be even better. 12 songs from her latest, less so!

Yeah 2016 had a theatrical edge to it almost that I think could work well on the Pyramid but agree that the latest album is not going to hold attention on such a vast stage. Not sure I'll be there either way as although I'm a fan I think my wife will be bored stiff.

in 2016 she was a highlight for me.  It was the first time I had seen her and I was blown away by how powerful the songs were live. 

I agree with everyone who has said need to get the right balance of songs because the new album is probably not going to translate well in that environment and in front of people who aren't already fans.

She has played the Pyramid before and so she knows what it is all about and I reckon she will nail it.  I'm really intrigued as to what the setlist will be though.

In my house we are split, my wife knows the first few albums much better than I do and then I know stuff better from "stories from the city..." onward.  

I saw her in Manchester towards the end of last year and it was spellbinding. I’d agree that a show like that wouldn’t go down well on the Pyramid in that slot, but I think that she is far too canny and experienced a performer to not mix things up a bit. 

40 minutes ago, CharlotteB said:

I like her...but probably not enough to tempt me way from the rest of the festival.

Exactly my thoughts. Let England Shake was a best of the year album for me, but I suspect the Pyramid crowd will be relatively small and lacking atmosphere. 

12 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Exactly my thoughts. Let England Shake was a best of the year album for me, but I suspect the Pyramid crowd will be relatively small and lacking atmosphere. 

yeah - Let England Shake was the best album of the year it was released (can't remember when it was now).  I think you are right about the crowd.  I'm just going to make sure I'm near the front with the fans.

I'm torn on whether to see her because she's also on the bill at Rock En Seine which I'll be at in August. The conundrum however is that I'm nowhere near as familiar with her newer stuff as I am with her early records and I feel that the Pyramid has a much better chance of getting a 'hits' set than Paris.

Her latest record is pretty much the best thing she's ever done. A stone cold masterpiece. But very much not suited to a festival set, especially not on the Pyramid.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

yeah - Let England Shake was the best album of the year it was released (can't remember when it was now).  I think you are right about the crowd.  I'm just going to make sure I'm near the front with the fans.

It's the sort of scheduling where a big fan would be able to get a great position in the crowd without too much hassle 👍🏼

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

...Maybe I should go, if I can easily get up front. I really should listen to her last album.

Just what I was thinking - but also need to listen to her earlier stuff as well as I'm not very familiar with her at all.

Have seen her with a full band many times, but saw her solo on the White Chalk tour. Just Polly with a guitar (or a piano, or even an autoharp at one point!). Sublime. Still among my top 10 gigs ever. Kind of wish she was on her own, headlining a tent, but will take anything as missed her in Dublin last time as I was away. 

I really really love some PJ Harvey stuff. But quite indifferent about some of it, so have never seen her live. Clashes willing I might give it a go this time. Good performer live or not? My (uneducated) gut feel is that it could be quite moody, dark with little crowd interaction. Whilst that’s not always a bad thing, some artists nail it, some don’t,

19 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

I really really love some PJ Harvey stuff. But quite indifferent about some of it, so have never seen her live. Clashes willing I might give it a go this time. Good performer live or not? My (uneducated) gut feel is that it could be quite moody, dark with little crowd interaction. Whilst that’s not always a bad thing, some artists nail it, some don’t,

When I saw her at Lollapalooza she was brilliant. It was moody, sure, but it was very atmospheric. Good show with a full band, slower in places because of her music, but also very rock focused and heavier than versions of songs off albums.

I would of thought she'd be perfect for a Woodsies headline slot though, as others have said. Clashes with Danny Brown as well which is an absolutely horrible clash. 

13 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

When I saw her at Lollapalooza she was brilliant. It was moody, sure, but it was very atmospheric. Good show with a full band, slower in places because of her music, but also very rock focused and heavier than versions of songs off albums.

I would have thought she'd be perfect for a Woodsies headline slot though, as others have said. Clashes with Danny Brown as well which is an absolutely horrible clash. 

Some acts are just built for darkness/tents. I feel like she’s probably one of them. 

1 hour ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

She’s a really good singer and musician. It all depends if you like her last album Inside The Old I Dying. About 90% of het set will probably be about that one. 

11 hours ago, matrainertje said:

She’s a really good singer and musician. It all depends if you like her last album Inside The Old I Dying. About 90% of het set will probably be about that one. 

I know that the last tour has been like that + I'm sure that you are right there will be more songs from the new album than back catalogue but I think her festival setlist will be a bit more mixed than 90% new album.  

I don't think it'll be a greatest hits set but more like 50/50 split.  As mentioned upthread, she has been playing 2 set's, one of the new album and then one of back catalogue so the band have rehearsed and being playing old songs live.