Will They Show The Football?

Gnomicide

51 minutes ago, westholtschic said:

Please don’t remind me of 2010!!! Thankfully my wife is a counsellor and I’m still speaking to her about my stupidity of watching it instead of Ray Davies 

Pleased to say I made the right call. Everyone else I was with went to the football I went to my favourite ever legend slot. Probably because it was nowhere near as crowded and I love The Kinks I don't think it'll ever be beaten for my top legend slot.

• Upvote 3

would never bother unless nothing else was on. 

the year they played and it was on Thursday or Wednesday, glorious sunshine. Sat at the pyramid drinking pints, having a laugh.

that was a good day , one of my festival highlights 

but not at the expense of music 

Music always takes precedence over football for me. I've even missed watching my own team in Champions League finals while I've seen at a festival. The thought of giving up 2 or more hours of Glastonbury for an Enland last 16 game is completely alien to me.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Music always takes precedence over football for me. I've even missed watching my own team in Champions League finals while I've seen at a festival. The thought of giving up 2 or more hours of Glastonbury for an Enland last 16 game is completely alien to me.

I would be nowhere near a music festival if Arsenal ever made it to the CL final again. I've always said its the one thing I would drop Glastonbury for in a heartbeat.

• Upvote 1

have had good experiences watching the footie at Glastonbury, and bad ones. 2010 missing most of Ray Davies and The Hold Steady was by far the worst.

Euro 2004 watching the Portugal game in the Pyramid field was good fun, despite the end result. And the women's match a few years back.

I actually didn't mind missing a couple of hours before I went to see England vs Germany in 2010, but I felt so low afterwards, I wished I hadn't bothered. The only person I would've seen is prob Slash, but thankfully I ended up seeing GnR last year so no big miss either.

I think it can be a unique experience watching a game of football of a major tournament together with a few thousand likeminded individuals, but can understand people who don't want to do it.

Would they even have the same to devote a whole field to a game these days anyway? I wondered if that might have come into their thinking as well. 

21 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I would be nowhere near a music festival if Arsenal ever made it to the CL final again. I've always said its the one thing I would drop Glastonbury for in a heartbeat.

Lucky you'll be OK 😘

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

would never bother unless nothing else was on. 

the year they played and it was on Thursday or Wednesday, glorious sunshine. Sat at the pyramid drinking pints, having a laugh.

that was a good day , one of my festival highlights 

but not at the expense of music 

Agree entirely. I'm a football fan and could totally take or leave it at glasto. I'd never watch it over a band I wanted to see, however watching an international tourny game at glasto in the sun with beers would be a great memory.

but yeah would have to be a weds/thurs - just not logistically possible to shut down a main stage for a few hours otherwise, which entirely explains their decision

I'd understand wanting to watch the football at Glastonbury if it was a big match (semi-final/final) but a first knockout round game against some 3rd-placed side just doesn't seem worth missing the rest of the festival for. 

I know that's making a few arrogant assumptions about how England will do but either you're arrogant enough to assume they'll do fine and you can catch their next game once the festival is over, or you doubt them enough that watching them at Glastonbury could ruin your entire weekend. 

2 minutes ago, mouserat said:

I'd understand wanting to watch the football at Glastonbury if it was a big match (semi-final/final) but a first knockout round game against some 3rd-placed side just doesn't seem worth missing the rest of the festival for. 

I know that's making a few arrogant assumptions about how England will do but either you're arrogant enough to assume they'll do fine and you can catch their next game once the festival is over, or you doubt them enough that watching them at Glastonbury could ruin your entire weekend. 

If they finish 3rd in the group their knockout game will be on the Monday at 8pm 🙂 

23 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

If they finish 3rd in the group their knockout game will be on the Monday at 8pm 🙂 

Which would be perfect! drive home, first glorious shower, stick a couple of loads of washing on, big afternoon nap, and awake for the footy and aaaaalllll the vegetables and pints of water back on my sofa 

Just now, Ben7amin_ said:

Is there any chance the Tuesday game against Slovenia will be shown for workers I wonder 

Possibly in a bar but you’d get decent signal if you tethered an iPad to a phone at that point before the masses arrive signal should be ok especially with Voda and related sims 

7 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Possibly in a bar but you’d get decent signal if you tethered an iPad to a phone at that point before the masses arrive signal should be ok especially with Voda and related sims 

Yeah I'm hoping a bar seaze the initiative to sell a few extra pints on tuesday. Normally a few of them open early for workers anyway.  So I'm not sure if they have a screen there will be to much disadvantage to showing it before the fest

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

With all due respect, you must be an extremely casual fan if that was the case.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Which would be perfect! drive home, first glorious shower, stick a couple of loads of washing on, big afternoon nap, and awake for the footy and aaaaalllll the vegetables and pints of water back on my sofa 

I still have PTSD flashbacks to arriving home from an incredibly muddy and draining Glasto in 2016 and sitting in pain and misery watching England crash out to Iceland. 

3 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

I still have PTSD flashbacks to arriving home from an incredibly muddy and draining Glasto in 2016 and sitting in pain and misery watching England crash out to Iceland. 

Ah, apologies, i quite enjoyed that. Both getting out of muddy fields and squashy floors, and watching england lose hilariously. 

56 minutes ago, Superscally said:

It's at the start of June! Would be a hell of a long penalty shoot out to bother you!

Well it was a hypothetical situation I didn't mean it literally. 🙂

I think if England were in a final whilst I was at Glastonbury I would get myself offsite for it.  No way would I miss that either.