Glasto is great and I've paid my balance!

kalifire

33 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Helicopters controlling the weather is one I always remember from the early 2000s (maybe when Macca played?), the biggest headliners ever  being booked for two years’ time etc although contracts etc are difficult!

Basically - you've misremembered a light-hearted comment that Michael made referencing a concert in Russia that Macca had played the week before.

Nothing you mention even comes close to being knowingly dishonest.

8 hours ago, incident said:

Basically - you've misremembered a light-hearted comment that Michael made referencing a concert in Russia that Macca had played the week before.

Nothing you mention even comes close to being knowingly dishonest.

Or a few press contacts saying he’s a ‘mad old farmer who sometimes gets carried away’. You’re taking a tongue-in-cheek comment a bit too seriously. Nothing malicious in what he’s said over the years - just a bit of overexcitement, which is why we love them both!

I'm going to be controversial for this place, as we obviously all love the Eavis'.

But tbh I don't believe her. I truly believe there will have been years in the past with less turnover. It's a weaker line up and there's so much financial problems people are suffering at the moment. I know people who've thrown there had in the ring, so I concede maybe it's confirmation bias from me. But it smacks of promoter speak to me. Obviously, we will never know one way or the other. 

18 hours ago, Ben7amin_ said:

Like when the Farage et al call themselves the silenced majority.... unaware that both words are wrong.

Yeah exactly. Everybody wants validation for their own opinion when in the end it’s just a subjective opinion. 

8 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

I'm going to be controversial for this place, as we obviously all love the Eavis'.

But tbh I don't believe her. I truly believe there will have been years in the past with less turnover. It's a weaker line up and there's so much financial problems people are suffering at the moment. I know people who've thrown there had in the ring, so I concede maybe it's confirmation bias from me. But it smacks of promoter speak to me. Obviously, we will never know one way or the other. 

It is confirmation bias. You’re applying far too much weight to your own limited experience and your own completely subjective opinion. You’re doing so to the extent of accusing someone of outright lying in public.

13 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

Based on your same subjective opinion, the resale should last several hours -days, even - and everyone will get a ticket if they want one!

If that happens, you could call Emily a liar I guess. 

• Upvote 1

Elton John was the most popular headliner the festival has ever had, Glastonbury is more popular and more of a FOMO thing than ever due to social media etc, and to people not terminally online and/or music snobs like a lot of us on here Coldplay and Dua are two massive headliners (Coldplay especially given Glastonbury is the only festival they ever do these days and the association they have with it). Really shouldn’t be too much of a surprise that most people who managed to bag a golden ticket aren’t keen to hand it back over this year. Glastonbury’s reputation is bigger than any potentially weaker lineup. 

6 minutes ago, stuie said:

Based on your same subjective opinion, the resale should last several hours -days, even - and everyone will get a ticket if they want one!

If that happens, you could call Emily a liar I guess. 

Canny strawman.

12 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

It is confirmation bias. You’re applying far too much weight to your own limited experience and your own completely subjective opinion. You’re doing so to the extent of accusing someone of outright lying in public.

Maybe, as I said myself. I'm actually potentially overestimating the economic issues in this country tbh. But honestly, it's not that deep. 

8 minutes ago, FloopFiller said:

Elton John was the most popular headliner the festival has ever had, Glastonbury is more popular and more of a FOMO thing than ever due to social media etc, and to people not terminally online and/or music snobs like a lot of us on here Coldplay and Dua are two massive headliners (Coldplay especially given Glastonbury is the only festival they ever do these days and the association they have with it). Really shouldn’t be too much of a surprise that most people who managed to bag a golden ticket aren’t keen to hand it back over this year. Glastonbury’s reputation is bigger than any potentially weaker lineup. 

All true for this year, but weaker line-ups for a few years in a row could certainly see it become less of a hot ticket.

I don't think anyone should take it for granted forever - and we know the farm themselves don't.

Plus there's the weather curve-ball.

14 minutes ago, FloopFiller said:

Absolutely. We should expect just a few minutes for the resale to be over. 

As always, Emily's comments are being over analysed. Maybe it's true, maybe it's not. Perhaps it was a nice little bit of PR to suggest that sales would suggest that the festival is more popular than ever, despite some of the initial negative reaction, or maybe it was a smokescreen? Maybe there are 20,000 tickets to go for in the resale and she's drumming up some interest. No one outside of GFL will ever know and it doesn't matter whatsoever. Sadly, the modern phenomenon of the mass outpouring of opinion no matter the subject has blown this up far beyond necessary.

Either way, regardless anyone's opinion on the lineup (so far), it's selling out in the usual manner and there'll be tens of thousands of people left unhappy because they were unsuccessful in both sales. Regardless of the impact of the first poster, no matter the weather, whoever the headliners are and (for now) whatever it costs.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

Maybe, as I said myself. I'm actually potentially overestimating the economic issues in this country tbh. But honestly, it's not that deep. 

I dunno, it's clearly deep enough for you to suggest that someone with a well established reputation for kindness and good causes is telling porkies. 

58 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

Canny strawman.

The two things are directly related, but ok! We shall see. 

24 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

As always, Emily's comments are being over analysed. Maybe it's true, maybe it's not. Perhaps it was a nice little bit of PR to suggest that sales would suggest that the festival is more popular than ever, despite some of the initial negative reaction, or maybe it was a smokescreen? Maybe there are 20,000 tickets to go for in the resale and she's drumming up some interest. No one outside of GFL will ever know and it doesn't matter whatsoever. Sadly, the modern phenomenon of the mass outpouring of opinion no matter the subject has blown this up far beyond necessary.

Either way, regardless anyone's opinion on the lineup (so far), it's selling out in the usual manner and there'll be tens of thousands of people left unhappy because they were unsuccessful in both sales. Regardless of the impact of the first poster, no matter the weather, whoever the headliners are and (for now) whatever it costs.

Ticket sales were always likely to be good off the last couple of festivals. Elton, Macca, Killers, Kylie etc all looked great on TV and it’s been Sunny. A couple of years of rain and disappointing music is the only thing that will really slow things down.

19 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Seems counterintuitive to put people off the resale if there's a fat stack of tickets to shift.

I don't think people are going to give up based on the number of tickets left. The odds are stacked against us all in October, yet we still try

Edited by Supernintendo Chalmers

3 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Ticket sales were always likely to be good off the last couple of festivals. Elton, Macca, Killers, Kylie etc all looked great on TV and it’s been Sunny. A couple of years of rain and disappointing music is the only thing that will really slow things down.

That definitely could sway the numbers. I don't think the mud bath of 2016 affected sales for 2017 though, did they?

Edit: according to the Glasto Thingy, it sold out in 50 minutes

Edited by Supernintendo Chalmers

9 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

That definitely could sway the numbers. I don't think the mud bath of 2016 affected sales for 2017 though, did they?

Edit: according to the Glasto Thingy, it sold out in 50 minutes

Truth is, we have no idea.

If it's oversubscribed and selling out in the initial rush, then the sellout time isn't an evidential factor. There could be 50 people locked out, or it could be 500,000. In either scenario the sellout time is down to how quickly the ticket selling system can process the transactions.

1 minute ago, incident said:

Truth is, we have no idea.

If it's oversubscribed and selling out in the initial rush, then the sellout time isn't an evidential factor. There could be 50 people locked out, or it could be 500,000. In either scenario the sellout time is down to how quickly the ticket selling system can process the transactions.

Yeah, that's a great point, actually.

Anecdotal, but around half of our usual gang didn't get tickets in the main sale (about 22 people).  In previous years, if any have failed we're all over the resale, talking about jobs/volunteer spots etc.  This year it's been really quiet and having checked in last night, none of them are even attempting in the resale and we've had a couple throw them back.  Never happened before.

Appreciate I'm in a bubble/echo chamber here, but the usual raging enthusiasm just doesn't seem to be there.  I'm not on any social media, but the rest of the gang are and have said similar things.

40 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Anecdotal, but around half of our usual gang didn't get tickets in the main sale (about 22 people).  In previous years, if any have failed we're all over the resale, talking about jobs/volunteer spots etc.  This year it's been really quiet and having checked in last night, none of them are even attempting in the resale and we've had a couple throw them back.  Never happened before.

Appreciate I'm in a bubble/echo chamber here, but the usual raging enthusiasm just doesn't seem to be there.  I'm not on any social media, but the rest of the gang are and have said similar things.

I decided not to pay my ticket off this year but I'm still part of the usual whatsapp group and I can echo this sentiment.

Usually it's full of chatter especially when the lineup comes out, this year one person put the poster in and there's not been a single message sent in it since. No one's even talked about paying balances off.

Is it due to the strength of the lineup?
Are we all just getting older / more long in the tooth about it now?

2024 would have been my 15th on the trot and the same applies to many of my group. Perhaps it's this!

In a weird way I think the cost helps with sales, in the sense that people tend to believe they're getting a better product if it's more expensive than the competitors. It appears to be happening for arena and outdoor gigs.

In terms of perceived weaker line up, I've had many people, upon hearing that I'm going to Glastonbury, say that they're jealous because I get the chance to see Coldplay and Dua Lipa and amazed that I'm not planning on seeing Dua. Just yesterday I was in my local record shop and was chatting to the owner, she couldn't believe I'd managed to get tickets as according to her no one got lucky and she has spoken to loads of people who are trying in the resale. 

From my insights and from what I've read on here it appears that the resale will attract a different demographic of people compared to previous years.

There's zero chance I'd ever not pay the balance as it's such an amazing festival experience.

However the line-up is definitely on the weak side this year. I don't think the headliners are the issue (Dua Lipa, Coldplay are both good bookings) but I don't think I've ever seen such a weak looking Pyramid line up further down the list, it's very uninspiring. It desperately needs a 'churn ups' entry added to it if nothing else.

28 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

2024 would have been my 15th on the trot and the same applies to many of my group. Perhaps it's this!

I'd say this is the case, it will never hold as much excitement as the first few times you attended. But when you get there, you soon remember why you go. In my experience anyway.

53 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Is it due to the strength of the lineup?

Could be a demographic shift.  There area couple of teens/twentysomethings in our group who are buzzing for SZA for instance.  Everyone over 30 couldn't give a toss.  Maybe we're all just dinosaurs on the way out!