UK Politics

kalifire

29 minutes ago, Neil said:

yes, i might be off the mark with my assumption he's from Yorkshire, but that's not a prejudiced assumption, but an assumption from the facts. truth will out and we'll see who's right. 🙂 

Nobody cares. Also this is a politics thread. 

7 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Nobody cares. Also this is a politics thread. 

Sure someone somewhere will claim he's only driving cos they've shut the youth clubs. 😛 😁

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I'll answer!

No..but I might do...any good?

It's 4 episodes at about 45 min each, so not a quick watch. I thought it was decent and very balanced. They've got a good set of talking heads, though notably Dom Cum, May and Sunak have opted not to be involved (a good call no doubt) and Acuri, Dorres and the haunted victorian pencil are very annoying.

Not a lot you don't know already, but interesting as a complete picture of how much Boris' career aspirations influenced Brexit and how inevitable it was that his stint as Prime Minister was doomed to failure. 

Give the first one a go and see how you feel.

On 2/9/2024 at 10:51 AM, kalifire said:

This is a thread to discuss UK Politics.

Please keep respectful and on-topic. Difference of opinion is welcome; personal attacks are not.

New posters are very welcome to join in!

1 hour ago, Neil said:

News thread 

I've only just noticed you're no longer a moderator! 

Anyway... I think early May election.

Edited by Paul ™

22 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

I've only just noticed you're no longer a moderator! 

Anyway... I think early May election.

the moderators are no longer moderators its a cosy friends club.

2 hours ago, Neil said:

yes, i might be off the mark

Not often I agree with you, Neil.

13 minutes ago, Neil said:

the moderators are no longer moderators its a cosy friends club.

The moderation has been a million times better since you got your marching orders. The place has been way more pleasant despite your continued attempts to change that. 

Back on topic 

im going for may as I really find it bonkers waking up to yet another Tory scandal . I’ve said all along we are just getting the tip of the iceberg on the corruption stuff . Things aren’t going to get any better 

33 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Back on topic 

im going for may as I really find it bonkers waking up to yet another Tory scandal . I’ve said all along we are just getting the tip of the iceberg on the corruption stuff . Things aren’t going to get any better 

When polls do not pick up, which it seems they are going backwards, more back benchers will send in letters to the 1922 committee.

If Sunak waits til after May then, after a thrashing in the council elections, more will follow and there will be a Tory leadership election.

Who on earth would want the job knowing full well that they will lose an election soon afterwards?

There is no logical reason why they will wait til after May - but when have this lot been logical?

Just now, Nobody Interesting said:

more back benchers will send in letters to the 1922 committee.

don't think they will, they don't see another leader who would make things better.

4 hours ago, gizmoman said:

He's not a car thief he's a caravan thief, you need to be more accurate, he was arrested in Yorkshire because he was TRAVELLING through Yorkshire. I've put a certain word in capitals to help you guess what type of "scumbag" would steal a caravan.

4 hours ago, gizmoman said:

He'd driven about 30 miles but Yorkshire is a big place so maybe that's not far, you are clearly a bit slow this morning so  i'll give you another clue, he was TRAVELLING, so therefore he is a TRAVELLER. (or could well be, certainly at least as likely as he is from Yorkshire).

Can you explain what you mean by this? I think I know, but I'm being hopeful that I'm misinterpreting you.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

Can you explain what you mean by this? I think I know, but I'm being hopeful that I'm misinterpreting you.

TBH it was me baiting Neil a bit after his illogical regionalist (is that a word?) comment. Don't want to derail this thead further so am happy for you to delete this if you wish.

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

When polls do not pick up, which it seems they are going backwards, more back benchers will send in letters to the 1922 committee.

If Sunak waits til after May then, after a thrashing in the council elections, more will follow and there will be a Tory leadership election.

Who on earth would want the job knowing full well that they will lose an election soon afterwards?

There is no logical reason why they will wait til after May - but when have this lot been logical?

this is all possible...or they will just wait it out in the hope that something comes up....inflation is supposed to drop below 2% and interest rates start coming down in a few months...things may actually feel a bit better in the autumn, and maybe they will have time to do one last fiscal event and more tax cuts and tell the electorate things are starting to improve, stick with them don't let labour screw it up...and you never know a flight full of asylum seekers might have left for Rwanda by then...

Or they will be 30 points behind by the end of the summer and it will start to look existential for them.

there won't be a new tory leader till after the election, any pressure from mp's will be for the election date &/or policies.

58 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

this is all possible...or they will just wait it out in the hope that something comes up....inflation is supposed to drop below 2% and interest rates start coming down in a few months...things may actually feel a bit better in the autumn, and maybe they will have time to do one last fiscal event and more tax cuts and tell the electorate things are starting to improve, stick with them don't let labour screw it up...and you never know a flight full of asylum seekers might have left for Rwanda by then...

Or they will be 30 points behind by the end of the summer and it will start to look existential for them.

shouldn't have to hope something comes up, as the govt they can control events, rather than have events control them.

Edited by Neil