UK Politics

kalifire

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

You are a funny man...........................

Ignore one poll with 7% for Green and pick on one you think you can score points with...... for a man who hates people who fly and pretends to care about the environment you seem to dislike the one party with real policies to do something about it and instead make posts that are pretty much aligned to Tory policy!!

You are a good true blue chap - or at least that is how you come over on this little forum.

Strange comes in all shapes and sizes as does hypocrisy - who knows where what we read here fits.

I dislike someone saying there'll be a green surge and a green win in the constituency I live in when there's no sign around here of a growing green vote, but are signs green support is shrinking.

14 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

The SNP had the chance to speak to labour and put together a wording that both sides could support.

And Labour had a chance to speak to the SNP.

Instead they chose to put together a bill to try and pit themselves against  Tory’s and labour, giving them something to put on their election material and trying to cause problem for their main rival

Alternatively, they put forward a motion that is entirely consistent with what they have been saying for months. If that caused problems for Labour, I would suggest Labour's indefensible position had a lot to do with that.

they are now sulking because their political game didn’t pay off and it’s hard to have sympathy.

The sulking does not look good and I believe they would be better concentrating on the fact that they finally forced Labour into a position where they had to do the right thing and support a ceasefire.

12 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I think a lot more goes on behind closed doors than we realise. I suspect you have people lobbying the speaker all the time, it’s just you don’t hear about it.

I have very little sympathy for the SNP MPs as they were attempting to use this tragic situation to their political advantage. Of course there is the argument that if the SNP want to use the deaths of people for their political advantage that’s their right under the democratic system they have in place.

So what's worse your contentious allegation of the SNP using "the deaths of people for their political advantage" or Labour's postion of condoning the deaths of these people?

Edited by LJS

south korea has the lowest number of doctors per head in the developed world, and currently the doctors are on strike to stop the govt increasing the number of doctor training places. sounds pretty nuts but they don't want their importance diluted.in the uk, similar has happened - but without the strike  - one reason we're struggling for doctors is cos the  BMA has pressured the govt not to increase the number of training places by the amount required.

most people tend not to realise that the bma is a more than just a regularity body its also a trade  union,  and does trade union things to support its members.

4 hours ago, LJS said:

And Labour had a chance to speak to the SNP.

Alternatively, they put forward a motion that is entirely consistent with what they have been saying for months. If that caused problems for Labour, I would suggest Labour's indefensible position had a lot to do with that.

The sulking does not look good and I believe they would be better concentrating on the fact that they finally forced Labour into a position where they had to do the right thing and support a ceasefire.

So what's worse your contentious allegation of the SNP using "the deaths of people for their political advantage" or Labour's postion of condoning the deaths of these people?

still, at least there's going to be a ceasefire now.

5 hours ago, LJS said:

The motion could have been worded differently and still consistent with what they had been saying . Your not naive enough to think this wording just comes by random.

The sulking to me shows where the priorities are. They are working with the right wingers because the speaker wouldn’t let them get one over their main rivals. Maybe they think it will look good on their election material if they can say they forced out the English speaker.

I don’t think it is contentious to say the bill was aimed at causing difficulty for labour, that has been the view of every single political commentator I have heard. I think only the SNP have stated this is not the case! At the end of the day politicians play politics, I know in the past you say SNP didn’t, but when the kool aid wore off a bit I think you reversed that review.

In terms of whose view is better/worse then that has to be discussed in the perspective that neither view has made any difference to governmental policy or what actually happens in terms of their being a ceasefire. At least labour are thinking ahead to a time where they may have some influence, I think SNP accept they have no influence so can say what they want.

2 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

The motion could have been worded differently and still consistent with what they had been saying . Your not naive enough to think this wording just comes by random.

The sulking to me shows where the priorities are. They are working with the right wingers because the speaker wouldn’t let them get one over their main rivals. Maybe they think it will look good on their election material if they can say they forced out the English speaker.

I don’t think it is contentious to say the bill was aimed at causing difficulty for labour, that has been the view of every single political commentator I have heard. I think only the SNP have stated this is not the case! At the end of the day politicians play politics, I know in the past you say SNP didn’t, but when the kool aid wore off a bit I think you reversed that review.

In terms of whose view is better/worse then that has to be discussed in the perspective that neither view has made any difference to governmental policy or what actually happens in terms of their being a ceasefire. At least labour are thinking ahead to a time where they may have some influence, I think SNP accept they have no influence so can say what they want.

yeah, SNP definitely playing party politics...but then they have a right to be pissed off that their opposition day was effectively taken away from them. Whole thing is sh*tty really.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, SNP definitely playing party politics...but then they have a right to be pissed off that their opposition day was effectively taken away from them. Whole thing is sh*tty really.

So is it contentious to say the SNP were using this tragic situation to try and gain political advantage?

30 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

So is it contentious to say the SNP were using this tragic situation to try and gain political advantage?

No, don't think it is. I mean Stephen Flynn sent a letter to all Labour MPs asking them to vote for the SNP motion, which still wouldn't have passed...so he knew what he was doing.

But I don't think anyone comes out of this well, including Labour.

Just now, steviewevie said:

No, don't think it is. I mean Stephen Flynn sent a letter to all Labour MPs asking them to vote for the SNP motion, which still wouldn't have passed...so he knew what he was doing.

But I don't think anyone comes out of this well, including Labour.

But even if playing politics, it was still their opposition day, and Hoyle effectively made it Labour's.

Maybe the whole opposition day thing needs looking at, kind of meant for when just have one opposition.

3 hours ago, Neil said:

south korea has the lowest number of doctors per head in the developed world, and currently the doctors are on strike to stop the govt increasing the number of doctor training places. sounds pretty nuts but they don't want their importance diluted.in the uk, similar has happened - but without the strike  - one reason we're struggling for doctors is cos the  BMA has pressured the govt not to increase the number of training places by the amount required.

most people tend not to realise that the bma is a more than just a regularity body its also a trade  union,  and does trade union things to support its members.

I was in south Korea last year and it amazes me that the doctor to patient ratio is so bad. We had to go to the hospital at one point and it seemed way better than a UK one and were seen so quickly. They're healthier over there I guess.