2025 Headliners

16 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Be surprised if he's back on the road doing mega-gigs quite so soon.  More like 2026.

8 minutes ago, FloopFiller said:

Yeah I doubt he’s in any rush to get a new album out given he could take as long as he wants and people will be waiting, so ‘26 seems more realistic. 

Maybe, but so far there's been a 2.5 year gap between each of his solo releases, which would mean a new album late this year/early next if he carries on at the same rate.

7 hours ago, charlierc said:

Though the question is if his tour bookers think there's more value in just doing his own dates.

a much better payday for everyone!

12 hours ago, Aromaticmusic1 said:

Could he possibly do it next year? I think that would be really good then if maybe like Harry, Rihanna, fender 

Feels a bit too "current" for lack of a better word.. I know Rihanna's been around a while but you sort of feel they'd look to balance with an older act like in recent years.

2024: Dua Lipa / Coldplay / Stevie Wonder
2025: The 1975 / Rihanna / Billy Joel
2026: Sam Fender / Harry Styles / ???

Struggling to hit on an obvious "heritage" headliner. Like, at what point do you qualify for a heritage headliner slot? Ten years after your last hit record, but when you're still pulling crowds to arenas and stadiums on name recognition?

11 minutes ago, JRhys29 said:

Feels a bit too "current" for lack of a better word.. I know Rihanna's been around a while but you sort of feel they'd look to balance with an older act like in recent years.

While I kind of agree..   a quick check tells me Rihanna is now 19 years from her debut single...

Umbrella cane out in 2007!!!!! :0 

So probably is now in the older act category, which is slightly terrifying

I think the pool of older acts is dwindling a bit these days. 

15 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

2024: Dua Lipa / Coldplay / Stevie Wonder
2025: The 1975 / Rihanna / Billy Joel
2026: Sam Fender / Harry Styles / ???

Struggling to hit on an obvious "heritage" headliner. Like, at what point do you qualify for a heritage headliner slot? Ten years after your last hit record, but when you're still pulling crowds to arenas and stadiums on name recognition?

I thought the 1975 were f**king off for a year or two

1 hour ago, gfa said:

I thought the 1975 were f**king off for a year or two

they are - https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/the-1975-matty-healy-hiatus-clarification-break-up-1234835154/

" Matty Healy told an audience in Sacramento that an “indefinite hiatus of shows” has been planned following the run of concerts. "

16 hours ago, charlierc said:

I think if you play 2 shows at Wembley Stadium one year then come back and play another 4, you're probably at Pyramid Stage level already.

Though the question is if his tour bookers think there's more value in just doing his own dates.

8 hours ago, Neil said:

a much better payday for everyone!

It's not all about the payday... a young Brit from Worcestershire turned into a worldwide star will be more than aware of the cultural significance of Glastonbury and playing the pyramid probably formed part of his wildest dreams when he was an unknown auditioning for X Factor. 

Aye, I assume The 1975 come back summer 2025. Wouldn't be surprised if it's a string of festival dates to start too - and that could well be Glastonbury. 

1 hour ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Even if The 1975 are about, they're not gonna be picked over Sam Fender or Dave next year.

Reckon the prospects of the three are interchangable. Honestly depends when they are touring respectively.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Unless the Dave in a non headline slot rumours this year have some substance to them...

Such a fascinating rumour, but one I am keen to see whether there is truth to.

46 minutes ago, stuie said:

It's not all about the payday... a young Brit from Worcestershire turned into a worldwide star will be more than aware of the cultural significance of Glastonbury and playing the pyramid probably formed part of his wildest dreams when he was an unknown auditioning for X Factor. 

There was an article the other day speculating on why big names in touring music are sacking off festivals in America to do their own shows and I guess it tied into that. But then equally knowing the cultural significance of Glastonbury as a show plus the broadcast opportunity of having your set as a full TV broadcast are both big selling points.

20 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Reckon the prospects of the three are interchangable. Honestly depends when they are touring respectively.

I'm sure all three would make themselves available if they got the call. I just can't see The 1975 getting the call before Dave or Fender, especially after Healy has somewhat tarnished his public image over the past year or so.

26 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

I'm sure all three would make themselves available if they got the call. I just can't see The 1975 getting the call before Dave or Fender, especially after Healy has somewhat tarnished his public image over the past year or so.

Yeah, I think that's the thing for me too. There's possibly an element of wishful thinking on my part - think, squarely, The 1975 are the best live act of the three, having caught them all over the past few years.

But yeah. They're probably third of the three on the pecking order.

1 hour ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Aye, I assume The 1975 come back summer 2025. Wouldn't be surprised if it's a string of festival dates to start too - and that could well be Glastonbury. 

Such a fascinating rumour, but one I am keen to see whether there is truth to.

I imagine we'll see a new Sam Fender album this summer or back half of the year. From there it could be a pre-Christmas / early 2025 Glasto announcement, with a string of stadium / outdoor shows around the same time. Maybe not quite the mega stadia but similar sizes and locations to what Arctic Monkeys did last year.

20 minutes ago, JRhys29 said:

I imagine we'll see a new Sam Fender album this summer or back half of the year. From there it could be a pre-Christmas / early 2025 Glasto announcement, with a string of stadium / outdoor shows around the same time. Maybe not quite the mega stadia but similar sizes and locations to what Arctic Monkeys did last year.

Could Fender do a stadium run of that size? (The provincial football club run, as my mate called it after The Killers did similar grounds.)

I'd expect him to run a string of arena dates off the bat to help gauge demand. Could see them in the autumn - the usual four or five, in London, Manchester, Glasgow, Birmingham and Cardiff - followed by an announcement for stadium shows in 2025.

We've not got any major sporting events here in 2025, have we?

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass II said:

If The 1975 were going to headline Glastonbury they would have by now.

We can consign them to the "almost got there but never quite did" bin alongside Foals and Biffy.

The difference with them is that they are still at their peak of popularity in comparison to the other two

Edited by Sam Y
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Sam Y said:

The difference with them is their still at their peak of popularity in comparison to the other two

And yet they haven’t headlined Glastonbury whilst at their peak.

Healy being an absolute weapon doesn’t help their prospects either.

20 hours ago, Aromaticmusic1 said:

Could he possibly do it next year? I think that would be really good then if maybe like Harry, Rihanna, fender 

I wouldn’t be in anyway surprised if that was the 3. With Styles (and Rihanna actually) it’s simply a case of if they want to. I’m sure the festival would book them in a heartbeat.

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

We can consign them to the "almost got there but never quite did" bin alongside Foals and Biffy.

Biffy, I get on this, but don't think Foals were ever at that level, surely? They never even got to The O2. (Granted, selling out double nights at Alexandra Palace makes the same, but still a glaring omission.)

Edited by NorthernSoul52