2025 Headliners

Just now, NorthernSoul52 said:

Olivia Rodrigo / Billy Joel / Sam Fender or Dave / Taylor Swift / Sam Fender.

I think Billy Joel is a good shout. He's someone I originally would have put down for the legend slot, but if they want to try and carry on from the potential run of McCartney, Elton and Madonna then Billy Joel would be the next logical step imo.

Think O-Rod will be done with this era by 2025 and not onto the next yet.

4 minutes ago, Ben7amin_ said:

I think probably Rihanna has to be in the conversation.

For sure.

7 minutes ago, Gejonimo said:

Surprised you haven't made a 2026 and 2027 headliners thread as well. 

But for real, Rihanna/Liam Gallagher/Depeche Mode

Can't see Liam headlining or Depeche Mode still touring by then.

1 minute ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

I think Billy Joel is a good shout. He's someone I originally would have put down for the legend slot, but if they want to try and carry on from the potential run of McCartney, Elton and Madonna then Billy Joel would be the next logical step imo.

Absolutely. I'll be honest, if he was still doing the MSG residency, I'd put him on the threshold of hyper-strong legend pick and slightly softer vintage hit-machine headliner.

But the implicit belief is the residency is closing down so he can embark on a farewell tour in earnest. Not sure it's been said in as many words, but yeah.

2 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Think O-Rod will be done with this era by 2025 and not onto the next yet.

I think 2025 will be the final run of touring it, but we'll see.

I could list about thirty credible headliners if I fancied it - well, credible to me! - but I'd argue the pool specifically, based on currency and weight, for 2025, is Billy Joel, Dave, Harry Styles, Olivia Rodrigo, Rihanna, Sam Fender, Taylor Swift and The 1975.

(All liable to change!)

The one that feels the most obvious to me this far out is Dave.

He'll surely have his third album out by then, obviously got a good affiliation with the festival and he's already done R+L recently so I think it's unlikely he'd return there so soon instead. He's one of the biggest artists to have emerged out of the UK in recent years and his career seems to be continually reaching new heights in a way that Stormzy's hasn't.

1 minute ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

He'll surely have his third album out by then, obviously got a good affiliation with the festival and he's already done R+L recently so I think it's unlikely he'd return there so soon instead. He's one of the biggest artists to have emerged out of the UK in recent years and his career seems to be continually reaching new heights in a way that Stormzy's hasn't.

I think it’ll one of Fender or Dave taking the step up but not both in the same year. Could go either way.

Just now, FloopFiller said:

I think it’ll one of Fender or Dave taking the step up but not both in the same year. Could go either way.

I think Dave is more likely, but I don't see why they couldn't have both in the same year if things go that way. It's looking like Dua Lipa will be the only 'new' headliner over 2 festivals so it would be nice for them to go the other way in 2025 rather than continually booking repeat headliners/really established acts.

Dave and Fender both headlining in the same year isn't miles away from Kendrick and Billie.

Just now, SomeoneListeningIn said:

I think Dave is more likely, but I don't see why they couldn't have both in the same year if things go that way. It's looking like Dua Lipa will be the only 'new' headliner over 2 festivals so it would be nice for them to go the other way in 2025 rather than continually booking repeat headliners/really established acts.

Dave and Fender both headlining in the same year isn't miles away from Kendrick and Billie.

It would certainly be a step back from the constant mega-headliners, but I dunno… I just don’t see it. One of them + Rihanna/Gaga + a more established act would be my bet, although granted I’m struggling to think who that established act would be. 

Personally think billy joel will call it a day when his residency ends ,sure he said at hyde park he didn't know if hed be back on our shores again or words to that effect

Just glad i went ,one of the best gigs ive been to in a long long time 

I'll admit to dabbing B Joel down as a headliner when the Legend Slot is right there, but if the 2025 pool is looking full of names like Dave, S Fender and O-Rod then someone a bit longer in the tooth to balance it out wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.  He's definitely no Macca or Elton, however.

36 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Until the last year or so I hadn't actively listened to Billy Joel, but it turns out I know at least 10 singles really well, just from radio and everyday life. He'd be an amazing headliner, but either way he's pretty much at the top of my must-see list from those I haven't seen before

Edited by efcfanwirral

3 minutes ago, JonSnow said:

I guess if we are following from recent trends;

Someone 'young'/current such as; Sam Fender, Dave, The 1975

An established 'safe' act booking such as; Lady Gaga, Rihanna, Foo Fighters

An old legend such as; Billy Joel, Bruce

Dunno how long you can keep considering The 1975 as a young/current act. Their debut will be 12 years old in 2025. They're pretty established at this point, I'd say.

30 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Reading would be a 4 year gap from 2021. Thats long for them if anything lol

Post Malone and 1975 have done 3/5 most recent fests i think

1 minute ago, gfa said:

Reading would be a 4 year gap from 2021. Thats long for them if anything lol

Post Malone and 1975 have done 3/5 most recent fests i think

He headlined in 2022.

But yeah, I'm not saying it wouldn't happen. I just think Glasto would want to book him and he's not gonna choose to do R+L again instead. Obvs if Glasto don't give him the call and R+L do then he'll probably be there.

24 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'll admit to dabbing B Joel down as a headliner when the Legend Slot is right there, but if the 2025 pool is looking full of names like Dave, S Fender and O-Rod then someone a bit longer in the tooth to balance it out wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.  He's definitely no Macca or Elton, however.

To be honest if we're measuring people against "No Macca or Elton" (or for that matter, Madonna), then we're going to be very disappointed most years.

There's not many of those global icon level artists left, and more often that not we won't have one going forward.

5 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

He headlined in 2022.

But yeah, I'm not saying it wouldn't happen. I just think Glasto would want to book him and he's not gonna choose to do R+L again instead. Obvs if Glasto don't give him the call and R+L do then he'll probably be there.

ah yeah whoops

still definitely wouldn't stop them haha - if he wants a payday then he'll do R&L. I have no idea what he's like.

Wireless and Glasto would make sense if he's doing early summer - but its so far out its hard to even say

He also needs his album to do well as he's not there yet 

1 minute ago, gfa said:

ah yeah whoops

still definitely wouldn't stop them haha - if he wants a payday then he'll do R&L. I have no idea what he's like.

Wireless and Glasto would make sense if he's doing early summer - but its so far out its hard to even say

He also needs his album to do well as he's not there yet 

I think he absolutely gets the cultural relevancy of taking the Glasto headline slot.

Also he's absolutely there already. His next release almost definitely won't flop, but regardless he'd be booked on the merit of what he's done already.

12 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Dunno how long you can keep considering The 1975 as a young/current act. Their debut will be 12 years old in 2025. They're pretty established at this point, I'd say.

Was more thinking along the lines of 'current' in the sense they are very popular with the under 30s demographic and have headlined Reading multiple times in recent history