Is It Time To Ditch See Tickets?

JoeSchmo

I don’t think it was all Seetickets I think it was mostly user error and a slightly buggy system. I verified and thought I was fine but kept getting warning emails and so I checked and I had to verify a 2nd time. After the regs got deleted I checked and confirmed I was still there.

After the registrations were deleted, all these people had 1 month and lots of reminders to check to make sure their registrations were still valid and, if not, to register again. Registration is free this just required their attention and a very small amount of time.

For whatever reason seetickets and glastonbury sale seems somehow very resistant to bots and scalpers. I have a feeling that will very much change with Ticketmaster so I hope it stays with slightly incompetent seetickets. I also think it’s good that the system rewards experience and dedication because I think it’s good for a festival everyone loves if a lot of people come back yearly as clearly that’s then part of what people love. 

6 hours ago, Suprefan said:

dynamic pricing has zero domain on festival tickets at all. Thats why they sell them in tiers instead. Thats a festivals way of  doing dynamic pricing.  And since its the uk the service fees are not insane. You think tm is too fair? Haha try it in the u.s.

I don't mean fair as in their practices, I mean if they were used for a Glastonbury sale the technology is way different to see with the numbered queueing system.

There would just be a massive actual queue, so it'd just be down to luck for everyone. And be done really quickly. 

9 hours ago, Neil said:

He's worked hard over the years to keep ticket fees to low for his customers.

Would be odd if he dropped that entirely.could also experiment with dynamic pricing and other stuff that costs the punters.

See what you mean. Mine comment was around how much he is actually involved now. Also can not imagine the rest of the team changing it either.

Dynamic pricing just wouldn't happen with a festival I don't think  any festival that is

1 minute ago, fred quimby said:

Dynamic pricing just wouldn't happen with a festival I don't think  any festival that is

Dynamic pricing is basically touting by the ticket agents. Letting the free market decide the value of a Glastonbury ticket is something the festival are against and the whole reason registration was introduced. 

A lot of people seem to have some sort of Stockholm Syndrome with See Tickets. Just because they are not "as bad" as Ticketmaster doesn't mean they can continue with this ramshackle operation and just expect everyone to shrug and accept it. This is not just some insignificant glitch. This is a major bungle and changes need to be made. Maintaning the integrity of your databases and system is fundamental.

8 minutes ago, JoeSchmo said:

A lot of people seem to have some sort of Stockholm Syndrome with See Tickets. Just because they are not "as bad" as Ticketmaster doesn't mean they can continue with this ramshackle operation and just expect everyone to shrug and accept it. This is not just some insignificant glitch. This is a major bungle and changes need to be made. Maintaning the integrity of your databases and system is fundamental.

It's a case of be careful what you wish for as there are worse options. 

In the grand scheme of things, the sale will go ahead in 2 weeks, no one can say they were not warned to recheck their registration after the 'major bungle' and the festival will sell out.  

Job done.

1 hour ago, JoeSchmo said:

Maintaning the integrity of your databases and system is fundamental.

Not seen proof yet that it wasn’t. This still seems like user error from the admittedly buggy system that was re-verification. So far it seems like See didn’t randomly delete valid registrations, just that some verifications didn’t go through (mine didn’t at first I had to do it twice). And again, people then had a month to check their registrations and re-register (for free). 

8 minutes ago, assorted said:

Not seen proof yet that it wasn’t. This still seems like user error from the admittedly buggy system that was re-verification. So far it seems like See didn’t randomly delete valid registrations, just that some verifications didn’t go through (mine didn’t at first I had to do it twice). And again, people then had a month to check their registrations and re-register (for free). 

That makes it even worse, not just for See but also for Glasto itself, that they've taken this last minute decision because people couldn't follow simple instructions. It just opens them up for more questions as to why they delayed. I think people would be less anoyed if they just owned up to it. But instead their statement reads like they're passing the blame onto people failing to register or check their registrations in time. 

19 minutes ago, assorted said:

Plenty of people on the other thread and on Facebook that have confirmation emails and no registrations. 

Why would you need to check again after you’ve got a confirmation email? That’s a bit mad.

2 hours ago, fred quimby said:

Mine comment was around how much he is actually involved now.

he's still on the hook for the money if its a financial failure, so he'll likely stay involved with the ticketing.

1 hour ago, JoeSchmo said:

People also seem to think there are two distinct options: See continuing exactly as it is now. Or TM employing a queue system.

12 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

I don't mean fair as in their practices, I mean if they were used for a Glastonbury sale the technology is way different to see with the numbered queueing system.

There would just be a massive actual queue, so it'd just be down to luck for everyone. And be done really quickly. 

Not totally. I was in the Taylor Swift queues and still pulled tickets. There def would be tickets floating around because you can still screw up the process. But again, if they did dare use a system that was "efficient" they would haye it cause the sell out might take 10 mins less. But it probably would take longer because they can still control the flow of the queue. We dont even know how many people are let into the system at a time to purchase anyway. I think the ticket limit is one of the biggest culprits to a fast sell out. Let them lower it to 2 and this takes a lot longer. 

2 hours ago, stuie said:

Plenty of people on the other thread and on Facebook that have confirmation emails and no registrations. 

Why would you need to check again after you’ve got a confirmation email? That’s a bit mad.

I suspect they also got an email saying their registrations were deleted which they ignored at the time and are conveniently not mentioning now. And they then had a full month to register again. 

In terms of Ticketmaster, it’s pretty clear at least to me in the USA that Ticketmaster has a very large bot problem that it has no idea how to deal with, or doesn’t care about dealing with. Sales are overwhelmingly dominated by resellers which makes every competitive ticketsmaster sale incredibly frustrating for average concert goers. While registration and photo makes Glastonbury somewhat resistant to this, I’d be pretty worried about how people already great at scamming Ticketmaster systems would figure out a way to profit Glastonbury switching to them.

Moving it down to 2 tickets per sale is a terrible idea - almost as bad as a lottery (the more likely change coming than changing ticket companies). The vibe of the festival is as great as it is partially because the ticket system rewards large friend groups working together. 

1 minute ago, assorted said:

I suspect they also got an email saying their registrations were deleted which they ignored at the time and are conveniently not mentioning now. And they then had a full month to register again. 

Question:  how did they email people to tell them they'd been deleted if they deleted their details?

39 minutes ago, stuie said:

Question:  how did they email people to tell them they'd been deleted if they deleted their details?

Not quite the same but I didn't renew my registration as go as a volunteer but must still be on some mailing list as got email about sale being postponed 

1 hour ago, stuie said:

You could be correct here - a competent system would solve this by emailing the deleted people right before deletion, then delete - but I’d be unwilling to bet money that this is a competent system and I don’t know anyone this happened to to ask. I do know that after the first time i verified, I got a few emails saying I was not verified and was going to be deleted until I verified a 2nd time.

So I caved and bought Springsteen tickets this morning via Ticketmaster.

The Queue worked and I got to the "choose your tickets" bit easily enough - then the fun began.

Could I buggery get to pay for them, ended up having to use paypal as it wouldn't accept any of my credit/debit cards - or rather it would until I got to the bank auth app bit where I validated the payment, the banks said "yes" but Ticketmaster said "no"... Finally got them and then a raft of declined payments messages from my bank.

FFS : Hope that's not knackered my cards for T-day....

And to add insult to injury - 2 x e-tickets = almost £40 in fees.