Sale Date Change

CaledonianGonzo

1 minute ago, duke88 said:

You can pay on a credit card though, you don't need to have all the money in your bank account.

Yeah, there are ways around it. But not everyone has credit cards or whatever or may not be able to get one in two weeks.

Doesn't impact me so I'm not arsed, but it might change the dynamic a bit. Or it might not. Who knows?

7 minutes ago, timbrass said:

4 SeeTickets Team members have joined the meeting.

SeeTickets Support:  "We've been inundated with calls from people saying they clicked on the link we sent them link but now their registration has disappeared"

SeeTickets IT Director:  "Yikes. We must have deleted a load of registrations even though people confirmed them."

SeeTickets Manager: "So how are we going to fix it?  The sale goes live this evening...."

SeeTickets IT Director:  "Don't worry we'll merge all the deletions back into the database.  It can't be that hard.  I'm sure we have a backup and all the transactions logs from the last few months"

SeeTickets Database Admin: "Oh f**k"

SeeTickets Database Admin has left the meeting

GDPR requires that when you remove the data it should also not be in your backups. They very possibly don't even know how many registrations they mistakenly deleted, let alone who's.

https://verasafe.com/blog/do-i-need-to-erase-personal-data-from-backup-systems-under-the-gdpr/#:~:text=For these reasons%2C it is,short%2C yes%2C it is.

1 minute ago, homesick said:

But apparently Glastonbury can do no wrong and are completely blameless according to some on here

The fact is in their statement they've tried to blame customers for the sale being pushed back, rather than accepting blame themselves. It's shocking. And yet lots on here are giving them credit

I wouldn’t give them credit. Their “lack of ability” regarding technical matters is well documented. I just think that this was the least awful option. I know that the hyper-organised (maybe slightly entitled?) feel hard done to, but it’s a hell of a lot better than people being locked out through no fault of their own.

On the other hand maybe the delay is to allow them time to introduce an AI algorithm to spot and block the large buying groups 😉 

3 minutes ago, ukmountie said:

GDPR requires that when you remove the data it should also not be in your backups. They very possibly don't even know how many registrations they mistakenly deleted, let alone who's.

https://verasafe.com/blog/do-i-need-to-erase-personal-data-from-backup-systems-under-the-gdpr/#:~:text=For these reasons%2C it is,short%2C yes%2C it is.

DPA 2018 doesn't require database managers to remove pii from backups that will expire automatically in a reasonable period of time. 

If they know who they incorrectly deleted and still had a rolling backup from before that point, they could feasibly restore it. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stuie said:

DPA 2018 doesn't require database managers to remove pii from backups that will expire automatically in a reasonable period of time. 

If they know who they incorrectly deleted and still had a rolling backup from before that point, they could feasibly restore it. 

Ah, you're right of course. I was well up on this stuff a few years back, but obviously have fallen behind.

26 minutes ago, CurlyPutz said:

Thank you - that is 100% what I am seeing too. I have been checking every other day to make sure my regs are still good, last couple of days those click through to edit links stopped resolving, I assumed because registrations were closed.

Glad it's not just me thats been constantly checking!

2 hours ago, rob.a said:

The date change is definitely going to screw some people. I had changed my plans for going to the Chems gig and I'm solo parenting on the new weekend so my kids are going to watch a lot of Paw Patrol on that Sunday morning. 

No they're not - 40 mins top (before it sells out) 

27 minutes ago, ukmountie said:

GDPR doesn’t make you remove deleted pid from backups, just when you restore the deleted pid isn’t also restored (or is redeleted straight away)

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

Ive never claimed to being loving or compassionate.

Greed and disgust are my only emotions. 

Yeah I dropped the ball there. Standards are slipping.

I'm pleased you've got the wooden spoon out on a non weather thread.  We need a little Nal levity on (non)sale day

Edited by clarkete