2024 Ticket Buying Tips

parsonjack

2 minutes ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

The problem is those groups are always going to be favoured in this system so hard to say if it was a "hack"

If you've got 100 people in a group, their odds just get better and better as they're successful (eventually having 100 people trying for six tickets, assuming people keep trying after getting their own tickets)

Exactly this 

Just now, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

The problem is those groups are always going to be favoured in this system so hard to say if it was a "hack"

If you've got 100 people in a group, their odds just get better and better as they're successful (eventually having 100 people trying for six tickets, assuming people keep trying after getting their own tickets)

Yes, that's approximately what happened with us. We got 100%, but only after starting very slowly.

I don't *think* anyone in the group used this exploit - certainly nobody has admitted to it, and no one person got through enough times (more than twice) to raise any questions.

I know everyone hates a lottery (especially those who have successfully got tickets this way) but if it was up to me I'd make it:

1x lottery entry per person, max groups of six - up-front £100 cost per person.

If you're not lucky, you get £50 back but lose £50 to one of the festival's charity partners. 

It's not a free lottery so hopefully removes some of the 'casual' applicants which seems to be the biggest counter-argument against a lottery, and it raises more money for good causes. 

Almost certainly not a perfect solution and I'm sure loads of people would hate it but I don't see how you get a level playing field from the current system.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ModernMan said:

It's the same every year really. For the people who don't get them there will always be reasons why and "unfairness", it's draining having these same complaints every year. I think we just live in a generation where many people think they can just have what they want when they want and if they don't get it, it's a "disgrace". 

Demand will always outstrip supply and no system will every be perfect. The one used now is as good as it can be. 

It's draining to see people who get tickets every year accepting a flawed system.

I've been in the double digits now, and to be honest wasn't bothered yesterday at missing out, but to lose out unfairly is annoying.

Every year regardless of success I will call out a blatantly biased and crap system. It doesn't "reward persistence" as people love to claim, it rewards being in a massive spreadsheet

A ballot which allowed selected registrations to buy tickets for five other preallocated friends regs would be an actual fair system, but people don't want that because they'd rather a chance to game the system than a fair chance for everyone 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, ModernMan said:

*based on anecdotal evidence for which you have no proof of how many tickets affected/if it even happened.

Sometimes you're lucky, sometimes you aren't.

The quoted post on this page where one person got through for 6 groups on his own? That is not luck and I can't really see how that is fair in anyone's eyes.

I didn't get tickets yesterday, extending my streak of not getting through since 2019. I have sucked it up the last couple of years but yesterday was pretty galling with rumours of the hack and massive syndicates hoovering up tickets. Most people I know who got tickets were part of groups of 30-40 with 100% success rate. That 'luck' seems pretty concentrated.

Just now, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

It's draining to see people who get tickets every year accepting a flawed system.

I've been in the double digits now, and to be honest wasn't bothered yesterday at missing out, but to lose out unfairly is annoying.

Every year regardless of success I will call out a blatantly biased and crap system. It doesn't "reward persistence" as people love to claim, it rewards being in a massive spreadsheet

A ballot which allowed selected registrations to buy tickets for five other preallocated friends regs would be an actual fair system, but people don't want that because they'd rather a chance to game the system than a fair chance for everyone 

That’s not entirely true as we got many tickets last time after the sold out message went up … that is persistence in my eyes and also being prepared to try in all 4 sales the same . Don’t disagree the system can’t be manipulated to advantage of large groups though … but all systems I’ve seen over the years mentioned have flaws 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, discgoesmic said:

I remember buying 2 PS5s when they were particularly rare by modifying the site source code (which was a known method, the Mail were reporting on it) and none of us had our orders rescinded or banned.

Exact same way myself and others were able to do this with the SeeTickets website back in 2009/10 I think it was.

A source code change allowed access to go in and pay the deposit after the sale.

Worked for 2 years before it got stopped. 

7 minutes ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

This is true, but we had a syndicate of 76 total trying and only 1 person got through and then got kicked back to the holding page after paying.
Odds are definitely higher, but it's still a luck game... unless you had the backdoor hack.

43 minutes ago, Breeze said:

Same tab/session?

Yeah, once the booking complete page came up, I took a screenshot of it to be sure, then went to my back arrow and selected the Reg entry page again. Started to load, but then just kicked me back to the holding page. Never went past that again. That was at 9.34 (according to my screenshot!). 

18 hours ago, angelin said:

I doubt we will ever see a secret resale again.

Now they get offered to friends and family of workers and crew.   People can nominate registration numbers to get whitelisted who can then go and purchase a ticket during a specified window of time.

9 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Didn’t even see a booking page in either sale this year which is pretty unheard of for me 

I actually got the booking page twice. 1st time it crapped out before I put payment details in & I was worried someone else would get through while our reg numbers were locked. So happy when I got back in and managed to get them.

3 minutes ago, Respectfatfrog said:

Same here I normally buy them for myself or get them for my group this year nothing, made me more nervous if anything going forward

I’ve pretty well got in every year since 2010 or whenever this system was introduced . Even the year I missed out I was lucky and got the bus ones for my mates but stupidly not for myself 

Just now, Crazyfool01 said:

I’ve pretty well got in every year since 2010 or whenever this system was introduced . Even the year I missed ou  I was lucky and got the bus ones for my mates but stupidly not for myself 

I was kind of at peace with it if it didn't happen I've had a good run but when refreshing the fomo was kicking in and now in buzzing to be going back again. 

In this day and age you never know when it's your last chance so get on it and enjoy it 

10 minutes ago, bec87w said:

This is true, but we had a syndicate of 76 total trying and only 1 person got through and then got kicked back to the holding page after paying.
Odds are definitely higher, but it's still a luck game... unless you had the backdoor hack.

If there is 1000 connections to the server. What gives people a better chance..... 1 million people trying to connect to 1000 spots or 500,000 people trying to connect? 

1 minute ago, Respectfatfrog said:

I was kind of at peace with it if it didn't happen I've had a good run but when refreshing the fomo was kicking in and now in buzzing to be going back again. 

In this day and age you never know when it's your last chance so get on it and enjoy it 

Hopefully the way I’ll be next year … hyped it far too much and haven’t slept well since our rubbish attempt on Thursday 

3 minutes ago, Respectfatfrog said:

This is what makes missing out so difficult this time.  

Had tickets for this years festival but life turned upside down 3 days before the festival and ended up going into hospital for 3 months.  

was praying for tickets for next after recovering but wasn't to be 

I think we are due a change - and I say that as someone who has been successful 5 ticket sales on the trot.

Success in the current system is becoming less about luck and more by the resources you have available; more devices, faster internet and more people. All things that favour a particular demographic at the expense of another which isn’t what the festival is about and isn’t good for its long term health.

I question how many are actually tying for tickets. If we take the 2.5 million the BBC claim but say the average person has 5 connections (taking into account some who are just one vs those who are very organised with 20+) then it could well be that there are fewer than 500,000 actual humans attempting. 

I play the game; I have over 10 connections trying to bag me a ticket across various devices and networks and it’s successful so far. But I recognise it’s unfair and you have to acknowledge that there is an environmental impact to all this in terms of scaling up the server capacity. 

Now there are huge groups of 100s of people who don’t know each other aside form ticket day and known exploits its feels like time for a change. I don’t think a queue or a ballot system is the answer, Glastonbury needs something bespoke. Perhaps something like:

• 9am on ticket day: log in, enter up to six registrations into a pre ballot. Individual registrations may only be in one entry and each person may only have one registration each.
  • 9.30: ballots are randomly assigned the opportunity to pay a deposit, with payments processing in order.

It still rewards being there at the right time, but it removes the impact of having 10s of connections and 100s of people trying so that the little, less tech savvy person still has a chance. Whatever the answer maybe, it does feel the days of the current system being fit for purpose are numbered. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, TheGoodWillOut said:

Show of hands if you dare, who got in with the hosts hack? 

I doubt anyone would be willing to admit to it. Why risk losing a ticket, even with anonymity on here.

People might have had theirs bought through the method and not even know (just someone in their group got "lucky" and through multiple times)

1 minute ago, TheGoodWillOut said:

This is what makes missing out so difficult this time.  

Had tickets for this years festival but life turned upside down 3 days before the festival and ended up going into hospital for 3 months.  

was praying for tickets for next after recovering but wasn't to be 

Sorry go hear that I hope you get some in the resell