2023 - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly...

carwynnen

14 hours ago, Hooskerdoo said:

Oh, and this is what a sold out camper van field looks like, if you were wondering. Taken Sunday morning.

20230903_132532.jpg

I worked the campervan field on the Saturday and this photo is slightly misleading. There were loads of vehicles parked to the left of this picture, as well as in the overflow park. No one is allowed to park within 4m of the overhead power lines, which is why this part of the field was kept empty. I've been told the percentage of no-shows was within the expected range for a festival like this.

The Good: Charlotte Adigéry & Bolis Pupul; everything on Talking Heads, what a perfect stage; Samia and Angel Olsen at the Garden stage; Open Sesame kebab; vegan gelato; the 'fancy' men's loos around the corner from the Folly; the decorations in the forest; sun on Sunday!

The Bad: nothing, really; neither I nor my (female) partner found the longdrop loos much worse than previous years, although more people could use the sawdust

The Ugly: too many cargo shorts and t-shirts, please make more of an effort! a nice shirt is enough, but it makes the festival so much more festive when everyone is dressed nicely

21 minutes ago, Caspar201 said:

The Ugly: too many cargo shorts and t-shirts, please make more of an effort! a nice shirt is enough, but it makes the festival so much more festive when everyone is dressed nicely

Not a cargo shots person myself, but surely it's more important that people wear whatever they feel comfortable in?

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, PassingCloud said:

Though I like it’s friendliness, it’s overall a bit tame (ie not so much wild behaviour). Not a fan of moaning about things being white and middle-class, but it’s quite that.

That will do thanks

Strikes EOTR off possible festivals to try

3 hours ago, Caspar201 said:

You must like the diversity and tolerance aspects of the festival? 

It's not Henley Regatta. 

The Good  Scott Lavene (amazing - and I met him for a chat wandering around too, lovely chap) The Last Dinner Party, Brigitte Calls Me Baby, Friendship, Royel Otis, Say She She, Daniel Norgren, Angel Olsen, CVC, Wet Leg, Future Islands and Caitlin Rose were my musical highlights. 

We take our 8yo son, and whilst he likes EOTR, a bit of alt country sometimes isn't his thing, so I had to miss a few sets to keep him entertained, but saw enough to keep me happy considering that a week prior we were thinking of ditching our tickets for the first time since 2008. Glad we stuck with it.

The weather was great after an iffy start, always helps. 

The people. We go with a massive group of mates from all over the UK, so it's good to see each other in one place once a year.  Just hanging out at Larmer Tree is a really nice thing to do.  Likewise most attendees seem pretty nice, chilled out people, there remains a very low dickhead quotient, long may that continue. 

The campervan field. Really well organised compared to other festivals. (we don't bother with showers, but I know there were some queues/water supply issues).

The food and beer offerings.  We're spoilt compared to the fare offered up at the more corporate festivals. 

The volunteers and staff. They're all great in my view. Love having a chat with people as we wander around. 

The Bad  The Mary Wallopers. Only stayed for two songs, they just came across as a terrible Oirish tribute act who said f**k a lot. My wife is Irish and is a bit tired of that kind of Sweary Mary stereotype, it just seemed a bit try-hard to sound edgy. They don't.  Bunch of eejits. 

We had great hopes for Caroline but their set was  self-indulgent to say the least, they started with a near full Garden and ended with about 1/3 of the people.  

The Ugly  I've got to join in with a lot of other people - the lack of urinals, see separate toilet thread.  We had a look behind the workings of the composting toilets, each composting container (effectively a glorified wheelie bin) had a drain hose running out of it to collect urine, so it's not as if they are gaining much by NOT having urinals - that liquid still has to be tankered off somewhere, but better it be via a urinal than having blokes piss all over the seat that someone has then got to use after them.  We all mourn how great Andy Loos were and know they are not coming back, but these composters just seemed a cheap, poorly designed ineffective replacement masquerading as a green alternative. Nobody is fooled by that. I really hope that EOTR listen to the critical feedback.   

Edited by LowerMead
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Went for the first time this year and loved it, will definitely return. Didn’t know much of the lineup beforehand but found so much good stuff. The Kokoko set at The Boat was a definite highlight for me, great show, great crowd and everyone just really seemed up for it.

Don’t really understand the criticism of the toilets, it would be better if there were more urinals though. Generally I think compost toilets are the better ones at festivals.

Looking forward to returning!

3 hours ago, Caspar201 said:

Wut? Not sure if trolling! 

Seriously?  You haven't scored any EOTR house points until some other middle-aged bloke compliments you on your obscure 90s indie t-shirt, after which you engage in a bit of chat and maybe exchange contact details to engage in nerdery over said band.  'Twas ever thus:  

"Kitchens of Distinction? Great band. Did you see them at Spunkbridge Poly in November '91? Absolutely amazing, sonic cathedral. Is that t-shirt original or a reissue?"

Edited by LowerMead
  • Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, LowerMead said:

The Good  Scott Lavene (amazing - and I met him for a chat wandering around too, lovely chap) The Last Dinner Party, Brigitte Calls Me Baby, Friendship, Royel Otis, Say She She, Daniel Norgren, Angel Olsen, CVC, Wet Leg, Future Islands and Caitlin Rose were my musical highlights. 

We take our 8yo son, and whilst he likes EOTR, a bit of alt country sometimes isn't his thing, so I had to miss a few sets to keep him entertained, but saw enough to keep me happy considering that a week prior we were thinking of ditching our tickets for the first time since 2008. Glad we stuck with it.

The people. We go with a massive group of mates from all over the UK, so it's good to see each other in one place once a year.  Just hanging out at Larmer Tree is a really nice thing to do.  Likewise most attendees seem pretty nice, chilled out people, there remains a very low dickhead quotient, long may that continue. 

The campervan field. Really well organised compared to other festivals. (we don't bother with showers, but I know there were some queues/water supply issues).

The food and beer offerings.  We're spoilt compared to the fare offered up at the more corporate festivals. 

The volunteers and staff. They're all great in my view. Love having a chat with people as we wander around. 

The Bad  The Mary Wallopers. Only stayed for two songs, they just came across as a terrible Oirish tribute act who said f**k a lot. My wife is Irish and is a bit tired of that kind of Sweary Mary stereotype, it just seemed a bit try-hard to sound edgy. They don't.  Bunch of eejits. 

We had great hopes for Caroline but their set was  self-indulgent to say the least, they started with a near full Garden and ended with about 1/3 of the people.  

The Ugly  I've got to join in with a lot of other people - the lack of urinals, see separate toilet thread.  We had a look behind the workings of the composting toilets, each composting container (effectively a glorified wheelie bin) had a drain hose running out of it to collect urine, so it's not as if they are gaining much by NOT having urinals - that liquid still has to be tankered off somewhere, but better it be via a urinal than having blokes piss all over the seat that someone has then got to use after them.  We all mourn how great Andy Loos were and know they are not coming back, but these composters just seemed a cheap, poorly designed ineffective replacement masquerading as a green alternative. Nobody is fooled by that. I really hope that EOTR listen to the critical feedback.   

Agree on caroline, had wanted to see them for a while but was really disappointed.

11 minutes ago, LowerMead said:

The Mary Wallopers I agree absolutely shocking . 

Now Lankum would be incredible 

Hid behind the bins for the few minutes of the Mary Wallopers I saw. Being Irish I can only apologise. Although they're from Dundalk and thankfully I'm from Dublin. 

The Good

The rain stopping just as we parked on Thursday.

Meeting Wilco and seeing Wilco. Meeting King Gizzard and seeing King Gizzard. Not sure if the missus was into Gizzard or just being a supportive wife but about 45 minutes in she said its one of the best gigs shes ever seen. Mesmerised.

Last Dinner Party being pretty enjoyable. Be Your Own Pet, Kokoko, Personal Trainer, Courettes, High Vis, Divorce, Floodlights Lee Fields, Charley Crockett, Murlocs, Whitney K....

The food

The weather. 

Highlight is always the people though. Met some lovely people over the weekend. Nice chatting with @5co77ie a few times, as usual.

The Bad

Not a lot. Maybe some scheduling. Arooj Aftab headlining the Garden on Saturday night WTF. 

The Ugly

Toilets.

I dont mind wasps really. 

I think I advised someone to 'just pick one' pre-fest when they were trying to prioritise headline clashes.  Now that I've been one of the things that I loved was that genuinely you could watch a decent chunk of lots of different things.  Despite Biig Piig ending as KGLW were starting I got from one to the other with barely any time lost - then after 45 minutes of that I had a decent spot for the second half of Ezra Furman.  Similarly, psychologically I never want to just pop back to the tent, but here it was literally just that, so quick and easy to do.  So I loved the site's scale.

I loved the variety of music, I thought having something like Arooj Aftab on as a garden headliner was wonderful, and then popped out and saw some of Future Islands too, which was great as it meant I understood Bridgette Christie's references to them later.  I enjoyed the Mary Wallopers too, I'm rethinking my patriotism now however - I get that they are a bit Kilinaskully-ish, and the contrary Irishman is something to try to move away from - but I found them fun, twice.

Showers, only used them once, were great.  This was Saturday afternoon - they weren't working in the main camping field, we were then refused entry to the posh people's ones, which were essentially the other side of the same hedge and not being much-used (cynical side of me was wondering whether they were being kept functional at the expense of main camping field's?)  Eventually found ones back out by the wristbanding / entry point - and it was a good shower.

wifi was shocking - pro to that is that I look at my phone less, but it'd be nice to be able to coordinate with people a bit better.  Made it all the more lovely when you do bump into people.

Not much non-music stuff, though I get that it's primarily a music festival (which I thought it was brilliantly curated and I've discovered lots of great stuff).  I did a yoga class one morning, and I caught most of the comedy lineup (which also was almost all fantastic), but these types of things didn't exist after 2/3pm until after the headliners finished when there was a small bit more comedy.  Flip side of that was that I thought the were incredibly efficient with how they spread the resources of the festival - sure they could have comedians or a circus or, or, or, all on all the time - but 90% of the crowd are at the music later in the day so that'd mean lots of half-empty stuff.  A bit of an under-developed point from me, I was happy, but I know others wished there was other things than music going on.  Realise I've discounted cinema, but what the f**k was on in there most of the time anyway?

Food was great.  I try to not visit the same place twice - unless it's a bar or ice-cream - and by the end there weren't too many extra places that I was itching to try.  Probably about as good a variety as I could have hoped for though.  To have more food places they'd have to have more people eating, meaning a busier festival and less easy to pop back to my tent - so they can't win but did an excellent job anyway.  I found having the one main area selling food not great - I like finding different food options as I'm in different parts of a site - but I got over that.

Arriving and getting set up was a breeze.  Tons of space by us all weekend.  Leaving, 11am Monday, was nearly a breeze but took about 30 minutes to get out of the car park.  Disgraceful, right?

My main festival reference for the last ten years is Glastonbury - I'd expect that to be an unfair comparison, but now I'm trying to think which festival it would be unfair on.

The Good:  Pretty much everything apart from:

The Bad:  Every year the decent beer tent underestimates the amount of stout and porter they need, with this year being the worst I can remember with only one stout very infrequently available.

The Ugly: Wasps that don't seem to understand plain english and don't f*ck off when told to do so.

And while I'm here, I didn't specifically mention under 'good' the sound quality on every stage I went to. I've done 5 fests this year (Black Deer, 2k Trees, Truck, GM, EOTR) and EOTR is the only one that had great sound for every act I saw (mainly from the barrier) and no irritating sound bleed from other stages.  Admittedly I didn't see anything on the Piano Stage this year, which does suffer sound bleed, nor did I go to Talking Heads, but it's all been great down there in previous years.  Sound quality is one thing that makes EOTR stand out, and something which should never be part of cost saving, which I understand it has been for at least 2 of the aforementioned fests.

5 minutes ago, Born in the fifties said:

The Good:  Pretty much everything apart from:

The Bad:  Every year the decent beer tent underestimates the amount of stout and porter they need, with this year being the worst I can remember with only one stout very infrequently available.

The Ugly: Wasps that don't seem to understand plain english and don't f*ck off when told to do so.

And while I'm here, I didn't specifically mention under 'good' the sound quality on every stage I went to. I've done 5 fests this year (Black Deer, 2k Trees, Truck, GM, EOTR) and EOTR is the only one that had great sound for every act I saw (mainly from the barrier) and no irritating sound bleed from other stages.  Admittedly I didn't see anything on the Piano Stage this year, which does suffer sound bleed, nor did I go to Talking Heads, but it's all been great down there in previous years.  Sound quality is one thing that makes EOTR stand out, and something which should never be part of cost saving, which I understand it has been for at least 2 of the aforementioned fests.

So right on the sound, I'd missed that off! There were a few bands I've seen before who I thought sounded amazing/better than when I'd seen them at venues! I think everything I saw had really good sound, deserves a lot of credit.

Angel on the Piano stage did have the sound bleed (was it Horse Lords or something who were quite loud on Garden at that time!) but it didn't detract from the experience too much.

6 hours ago, Caspar201 said:

I worked the campervan field on the Saturday and this photo is slightly misleading. There were loads of vehicles parked to the left of this picture, as well as in the overflow park. No one is allowed to park within 4m of the overhead power lines, which is why this part of the field was kept empty. I've been told the percentage of no-shows was within the expected range for a festival like this.

Not meaning to mislead, the vans are visible on the left. And I understand the thing about the power lines, but even accounting for that there was a huge amount of available space.

• Like 1