Victorious Festival 2024 10th Anniversary

Jack01825

14 hours ago, luckysalt said:

Honestly they're big enough to headline main stage, depending on who they can get next year and who is actually available. The bookers are big old school fest fans and they might see them big enough to headline main and whack a pop act on castle. 

I saw Pixies headline Reading in 2005. They were bloody amazing just look at that line up though...

They don't make them like that anymore

Reading-2005 (1).jpg

IIRC The Killers were offered the headline slot that year but said The Pixies should get it because a) The Killers only had one album at the time and b) They were huge Pixies fans. 

3 hours ago, OKMess said:

IIRC The Killers were offered the headline slot that year but said The Pixies should get it because a) The Killers only had one album at the time and b) They were huge Pixies fans. 

I do love The Killers, in part because - for all the Vegas razzle-dazzle - it's still very clearly a bunch of men who second-guess their place in the musical hierarchy of the world every time they stop and think about it. (Also, they love their influences unabashedly; absolutely no shame there, which I love.)

Biffy Clyro topping would be a big get, given they are still a R+L/Download/TRNSMT headliner (basically every major festival but Glastonbury) - but as much as I like them too, I'd definitely argue those slots are on the strength of them having topped it previously, as opposed to new records cementing their size.

2 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Biffy Clyro topping would be a big get, given they are still a R+L/Download/TRNSMT headliner (basically every major festival but Glastonbury) - but as much as I like them too, I'd definitely argue those slots are on the strength of them having topped it previously, as opposed to new records cementing their size.

That's the case on the majority of victorious headliners, that's what they do well. 

Jamiroquai, Mumfords, Kasabian, Stereophonic, madness, streets, Ian brown, new order, 2 door cinema club. 

The only acts you could really argue that bands coming due to popular new albums, were fender and perhaps nutini.

7 minutes ago, thetime said:

That's the case on the majority of victorious headliners, that's what they do well. 

Jamiroquai, Mumfords, Kasabian, Stereophonic, madness, streets, Ian brown, new order, 2 door cinema club. 

The only acts you could really argue that bands coming due to popular new albums, were fender and perhaps nutini.

I'd argue a few of them played once their days of topping the biggest festivals were over though, certainly in a few cases.

But that probably more illustrates Biffy Clyro would be a big one.

16 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

I do love The Killers, in part because - for all the Vegas razzle-dazzle - it's still very clearly a bunch of men who second-guess their place in the musical hierarchy of the world every time they stop and think about it. (Also, they love their influences unabashedly; absolutely no shame there, which I love.)

That first point was almost 20 years ago when they had 1 album lol - they've headlined every major fest in the UK multiple times now

---

Biffy would be a pretty weak Download / R&L headliner nowadays (they did MSW last time).

They are a perfect size for Victorious to snap up i think

22 minutes ago, gfa said:

That first point was almost 20 years ago when they had 1 album lol - they've headlined every major fest in the UK multiple times now

---

Biffy would be a pretty weak Download / R&L headliner nowadays (they did MSW last time).

They are a perfect size for Victorious to snap up i think

Not Download, to be that pedantic sod, but of course. Still doesn't mean they seem to second-guess themselves. They definitely seemed surprised by the reception to their JP set in 2017 - probably instrumental in them getting the nod to come back in 2019.

Perhaps so, but then again, who shifts more tickets? Biffy Clyro or Queens of the Stone Age? Sales haven't been terrific for the latter's arena run, from what I've been led to believe here down under.

On 11/15/2023 at 12:50 PM, thetime said:

and Royal Blood. In fact, last year was an outlier in recent history where they had not had at least one ‘newish’ headliner. Still think it we meant to be 1975 on Sunday, but they pulled and Mumfords were then booked. 

On 11/10/2023 at 1:19 PM, Quiksylver said:

Totally agree. Me and the other half were tempted to bin the weekend off at one point but I'm glad we didn't. Was definetly the best year so far even without a better line up. It was so much better organised than previous years. Easier to move around, faster and shorter queues than normal.

Ended on the Sunday with Johnny Marr right at the back on the hill - barely anyone there - it was perfect.

As for next year I'd say Pulp are a definite. My dream would be Muse headlining on Sunday - but maybe we still a few more years away from that. Foals and Wolf Alice headlining Castle/Main would be something else too.

Yup that Johnny Marr evening at the Castle stage was a pretty cathartic experience.... although the intensity was mellowed a bit when Mr Marr asked for any requests and some Wag shouts out `PARKLIFE'.... the genius done very well carrying on after that !!!  Just a magnificent evening....

On 11/17/2023 at 5:00 AM, charlierc said:

I think Simon Neil is still focusing on Empire State Bastard stuff for the time being, though I imagine there'll be a new Biffy album soon enough.

End of next year or start of 2025, a small club/academy run in the spring, few festivals in the summer, wrap it up with a trio of arena shows in the autumn/winter.

Biffy Clyro probably moving to the stage where playing just three or four arena shows with fuller crowds on a tour might be more financially viable that trekking to eight or nine venues and only filling them halfway. (Not that their production is likely to be insanely expensive, but still.)

22 hours ago, HarryHammer said:

Yup that Johnny Marr evening at the Castle stage was a pretty cathartic experience.... although the intensity was mellowed a bit when Mr Marr asked for any requests and some Wag shouts out `PARKLIFE'.... the genius done very well carrying on after that !!!  Just a magnificent evening....

marr was superb aand i was right on barrier at 57

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, reetrokev said:

me personally would like pulp .liam or noel  and an american artist . blink would be good but prob reading/leeds so the strokes or kol.

Far to big a trip sadly unless they really up their game.

Pulp and Noel are realistic.  I’ve always wondered if someone like Fatboy could do it 

4 hours ago, Adam_B said:

I've heard that Catfish and Fatboy are doing this. 

Fatboy Slim, Catfish and Pulp would be a believable trio at about the right size. It also grabs my interest and opens up Fatboy with his current dates to be one of the Superstruct shared headliners for Kendall etc as he has dates free. Also dates free mind when he usually appear in Ibiza peak season.

4 hours ago, luckysalt said:

Fatboy is busy on the Saturday night and Catfish is rumoured for Reading. 

I'm gobsmacked Fatboy hasn't already done this, but maybe the bookers have seen him much like myself and thought the same, he's utter w*nk. 😂

Yup. Given it is on the Saturday in Halifax and Creamfields is on the same weekend, Halifax is not that far really from there for either Friday or Sunday to travel and I wouldn't wager money on him doing Victorious over Cream. This actually being said, he is doing Manchester, to Scarborough then down to Bedford the following day over 3 days making it 2.5 hrs then nearly 4 hours the next day. He is also doing Dublin to Cornwall for Eden the next day. Portsmouth, Halifax then Sunday for Cream is just doable. He also did Cream Sunday this year and last year.

Edited by northernangel

35 minutes ago, Cowley4 said:

I'd happily take the fatboy to close the weekend.  No interest in Catfish there not at headline level for me.. Pulp, Noel G/The Strokes & Fatboy/Chem Bros any of those would be class 

7 hours ago, Adam_B said:

I've heard that Catfish and Fatboy are doing this. 

am i missing something.have catfish reformed? massive fan but with 2 of band gone and no new news. not headliners or not main anyway