Volunteering 2024

Chazwozza

1 hour ago, Chazwozza said:

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread - I’m going to work on getting a place with oxfam, starting now before the post-ticket-sale-failure rush!

Oxfam's basically the one that won't work for. 

I was thinking like water aid, doing some talks for them. CND getting involved with local groups. Also finding smaller groups about the SW who can get a way in.

23 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Oxfam's basically the one that won't work for. 

I was thinking like water aid, doing some talks for them. CND getting involved with local groups. Also finding smaller groups about the SW who can get a way in.

Slight exception… if you have 3 months experience volunteering in an Oxfam shop you can apply to work in the festival shops. There’s probably just about enough time left if you start now 😀

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Now they've announced the ticket sale dates its a good time to smile smugly at not having to pay £355, let alone join the ticket scrum along with everyone else 😁 

£355 + £5 booking fee + £200 for my campervan. 

£560 saving plus hot dinners and showers and two more days on the farm. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, stuie said:

£355 + £5 booking fee + £200 for my campervan. 

£560 saving plus hot dinners and showers and two more days on the farm. 

and all for three 8hr shifts over six days! i think thats a right result, i'm chuffed with me for getting into this little ecosystem

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

and all for three 8hr shifts over six days! i think thats a right result, i'm chuffed with me for getting into this little ecosystem

I think I'm right saying you have priority too... so a guaranteed ticket!  You've earnt that... it can't be bought. 

Well done, nicely played 🙂 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Honestly, the thought of spending nearly £400 on tickets has me considering doing Oxfam straight off.

It’s going to be more popular than ever this year for sure. 

13 minutes ago, stuie said:

I think I'm right saying you have priority too... so a guaranteed ticket!  You've earnt that... it can't be bought. 

Well done, nicely played 🙂 

Yep, im priority, have done two a year for the last three (available!) seasons so in feb i'll sort out a Bearded Theory and then a Glasto spot. i think what really helps and is easy to overlook is the parking as well - it'll likely be £60 and miles away, whereas we're free and in the field next door. It makes for bringing comfy things just so much easier - duvets, proper pillows, all that jazz. £200 for a campervan is a lot of money too - and you can just come into the oxfield and youre sorted! 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Yep, im priority, have done two a year for the last three (available!) seasons so in feb i'll sort out a Bearded Theory and then a Glasto spot. i think what really helps and is easy to overlook is the parking as well - it'll likely be £60 and miles away, whereas we're free and in the field next door. It makes for bringing comfy things just so much easier - duvets, proper pillows, all that jazz. £200 for a campervan is a lot of money too - and you can just come into the oxfield and youre sorted! 

Omg yes! The coach from Bristol as well meant that I walked at most about 400 metres with my stuff. Dreamy. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Think I'll go for Bearded Theory too next year. I missed not going this year. And while I don't need to do two for priority, one a year isn't enough

46 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Think I'll go for Bearded Theory too next year. I missed not going this year. And while I don't need to do two for priority, one a year isn't enough

Is Bearded really hard to get? I’ve heard good things about it and it’s an early start to the season so I’m interested! 

23 minutes ago, stuie said:

Is Bearded really hard to get? I’ve heard good things about it and it’s an early start to the season so I’m interested! 

You need to go for it first. If you sort Glastonbury then try and add Bearded it'll be full.

Like all of them though places do come up as people drop out

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, philipsteak said:

You need to go for it first. If you sort Glastonbury then try and add Bearded it'll be full.

Like all of them though places do come up as people drop out

Top advice, thanks 😀

9 hours ago, deadponyclub said:

Is there an application process to get involved to volunteer at the Lockups?

I think each lockup is assigned to a local charity, so you'd need to get involved in one of those. No idea how you'd find out what those charities are and they might take dim view of you getting involved them straight away asking for a place at the festival so some tact might be needed.

2 hours ago, Johnnyseven said:

I think each lockup is assigned to a local charity

For the lockups, it seems to be various regional charity groups with a historic (meaning: long term trusted) relationship with the festival. There's usually a sign outside each lockup saying who operates it.

The Darble / Gate A lockup is Birmingham Friends of the Earth, can't remember many details elsewhere but I know I've seen multiple CND branches including definitely Greater Manchester and Yorkshire.

But yeah, those spots (just like most of the on-site stewarding operated by various local PTAs, sports clubs, etc) are going to legitimate group members or known friends, and I don't think they've ever advertised them publicly.

23 hours ago, Johnnyseven said:

I think each lockup is assigned to a local charity, so you'd need to get involved in one of those. No idea how you'd find out what those charities are and they might take dim view of you getting involved them straight away asking for a place at the festival so some tact might be needed.

The property lockups do have a website which list the services we provide, and which charities are involved. We are all peace or environmental groups.

http://www.festivallockups.org.uk/

As @incident noted, the charity name is usually on the outside of the tent somewhere!

Edited by deepkittycaz
  • Like 1

On 9/30/2023 at 5:53 AM, Festival Sounds Podcast said:

If you want to know more about recycling crew work as an alternative to a ticket, try our new episode

https://spotify.link/bCTY9YGtvDb 

Loved working for recycling crew. 

Slightly concerned their website and fb page has been down since glasto

13 hours ago, Aragorn said:

I'd put it down to redesign (total guesswork).  This is the time festivals can make their updates without the pressure of the festival run in

13 hours ago, Aragorn said:

Green Field stewards have a dedicated website, it's never available between July (ish) and 1st of Feb at least to log in to. It's still visible.

On 10/2/2023 at 8:49 PM, Aragorn said:

On 10/3/2023 at 10:31 AM, Festival Sounds Podcast said:

I'd put it down to redesign (total guesswork).  This is the time festivals can make their updates without the pressure of the festival run in

According to another FB page the recycling crew FB page is being redesigned. Would imagine same is happening with the website too

• Upvote 1