Volunteering 2024

Chazwozza

• 1 month later...
On 9/30/2023 at 5:53 AM, Festival Sounds Podcast said:

If you want to know more about recycling crew work as an alternative to a ticket, try our new episode

https://spotify.link/bCTY9YGtvDb 

I worked Recycling Crew last year for the first time, completed all my shifts etc.  I know it is not guaranteed but presumably you are invited back the next year before anyone new?

Do you know when Fiona normally contacts people who have worked it before?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Aragorn said:

I worked Recycling Crew last year for the first time, completed all my shifts etc.  I know it is not guaranteed but presumably you are invited back the next year before anyone new?

@dondo 

• Upvote 1

Hi friends! 👋 Congratulations to you lucky lot who’ve bagged tickets. Sadly after 7 years on the bounce I’ve hit my unlucky year. I don’t want to wait until the resales so looking at volunteering opportunities. Registered with Oxfam, Water Aid and Festaff. 

Can anyone point me in the right direction for anything else? Thank you 

1 minute ago, BillieBobs said:

Hi friends! 👋 Congratulations to you lucky lot who’ve bagged tickets. Sadly after 7 years on the bounce I’ve hit my unlucky year. I don’t want to wait until the resales so looking at volunteering opportunities. Registered with Oxfam, Water Aid and Festaff. 

Shelter, Greenpeace?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, BillieBobs said:

Dig out the 2023 thread, and there's an excellent spreadsheet on it that covered all the main options.

I've got reason to suspect (though I can't say why and I'm nowhere near 100% on this) that there may be a new option this year which if it happens will be posted on here.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, incident said:

Dig out the 2023 thread, and there's an excellent spreadsheet on it that covered all the main options.

I've got reason to suspect (though I can't say why and I'm nowhere near 100% on this) that there may be a new option this year which if it happens will be posted on here.

Amazing! Thanks so much. Digging out the old thread as we speak 😂

14 minutes ago, incident said:

This sounds interesting! I hope it's a charitable organisation?

1 hour ago, Aragorn said:

Hi

i emailed Fiona the first week in January this year invites went out a week later 👍

33 minutes ago, incident said:

That spreadsheet was comprehensive.

@Leyrulion put it together 

2 hours ago, Aragorn said:

Yes. I believe it is in 3 "batches"- 1st is veterans, then those who have worked before and then if any space then opened up to newbies that have been recommended. 

In last couple of years veterans have been emailed around Christmas 

30 minutes ago, Festival Sounds Podcast said:

That spreadsheet was comprehensive.

@Leyrulion put it together 

It's updated for 2024

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JAcEC1skr5YsqgyIYUwy6_1HSRh0Fw_Ud0RkQaQIPkM/edit?usp=drivesdk

I have tickets this year though so might be paying a little less attention to it in the run up!

I'd sign up to all the mailing lists you can today and read up on options and what's best for you. 

Oxfam is a route for many but it's pretty competitive if you don't have priority. Shelter and water aid are a bit less of a bun fight. 

Edited by Leyrulion
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

It's updated for 2024

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JAcEC1skr5YsqgyIYUwy6_1HSRh0Fw_Ud0RkQaQIPkM/edit?usp=drivesdk

I have tickets this year though so might be paying a little less attention to it in the run up!

I'd sign up to all the mailing lists you can today and read up on options and what's best for you. 

Oxfam is a route for many but it's pretty competitive if you don't have priority. Shelter and water aid are a bit less of a bun fight. 

Thank you so much for this and congratulations on bagging the golden tickets 🙌😍🎫

19 hours ago, dondo said:

Yes. I believe it is in 3 "batches"- 1st is veterans, then those who have worked before and then if any space then opened up to newbies that have been recommended. 

In last couple of years veterans have been emailed around Christmas 

thanks dude - hopefully see you at the Tow and Hitch again on the Monday 🙂

• Like 1

99% sure I am going down this route after another unsuccessful year in the main sale. 

Have signed up to the obvious ones already - Oxfam, Water Aid, Greenpeace - but will do some more digging this week. I am glad to hear most of the processes start in 2024 so hopefully a lot of the less keen people after ticket FOMO yesterday lose interest.

My main question is, if you go the volunteering route and aren't too picky with who you go with, what's the likelihood of being successful? Appreciate the competition is probably going up every year, but would be interesting to know how hard it was for 2023.

33 minutes ago, mjfromthelane said:

My main question is, if you go the volunteering route and aren't too picky with who you go with, what's the likelihood of being successful? Appreciate the competition is probably going up every year, but would be interesting to know how hard it was for 2023.

If you are organised and committed, I'd say you have a > 80% chance of getting a place with Oxfam. 

Most of the other routes require you to have some experience with them (like Wateraid, Greenpeace) or to do two other events with them the year before (like Festaff) or to be recommended to them by an existing team member (like Recycling, Lockups) 

38 minutes ago, mjfromthelane said:

99% sure I am going down this route after another unsuccessful year in the main sale. 

Have signed up to the obvious ones already - Oxfam, Water Aid, Greenpeace - but will do some more digging this week. I am glad to hear most of the processes start in 2024 so hopefully a lot of the less keen people after ticket FOMO yesterday lose interest.

It changes every year, but i missed out on tickets for 2019 and have since remained in the volunteering ecosystem via Oxfam. I was absolutely adamant i was going to be there and applied for a raft of things, and saw an obvious three different areas to volunteer/work with, which was oxfam/wateraid/security (the last one was 12hr shifts, but paid) and i thought oxfam seemed the easiest and cushiest number, to be honest - which it pretty much is!

Its a bit of fastest finger first when the places come up, but if you're persistent and flexible, you absolutely will get a place. Check availability several times a day and at some point you'll probably get one. 

And maintaining that year upon year is easy enough, assuming you have the annual leave and desire to do one other festival at least to maintain your priority. 

Its not for everyone, it is knackering, but i really dont fancy a normal ticket any more - i'd miss the camping, the staff bars, the getting in early. Its a great way to see the festival from a different perspective. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks Stuie and BP, very helpful. Having 'some experience' with WaterAid - like campaigning or fundraising for them?

3 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Its not for everyone, it is knackering, but i really dont fancy a normal ticket any more - i'd miss the camping, the staff bars, the getting in early. Its a great way to see the festival from a different perspective. 

I think this is what appeals. I've always operated on pretty minimal sleep at festivals and the Glasto programme is so packed that missing out on a good set or two would always be outweighed by actually being there and the rest of the experience.

1 minute ago, mjfromthelane said:

Thanks Stuie and BP, very helpful. Having 'some experience' with WaterAid - like campaigning or fundraising for them?

I think this is what appeals. I've always operated on pretty minimal sleep at festivals and the Glasto programme is so packed that missing out on a good set or two would always be outweighed by actually being there and the rest of the experience.

It's a great place to be on Monday and Tuesday too.  I bang on about it a lot but it's nice to explore in the day and find some parties in the night before the masses arrive on Weds.  That makes up for the festival time lost to doing shifts, as far as I'm concerned and you're very likely to have a shift(s) on Weds/Thurs when there's not loads going on too. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, mjfromthelane said:

It does take a bit of a mindset shift when the festival and the stages are all in full swing, and you really fancy a cold pint and to amble along to this particular set, but you've got a shift starting at 10pm and you know you'll be on your feet for all of it so have to rest up a bit and be sober. It does take a little bit of discipline, but as Stuie says, you're getting Mon and Tues there without anybody else, and lets not forget you're there for free as well, and helping out a charity - when you reconcile missing out on things, but getting other things by way of compensation, it becomes much easier. 

I mightve hugely disagreed if i've have had to have missed Gojira, The Cure, or Skindred, or one of the other sets i was really hyped about 😆