Volunteering 2024

Chazwozza

18 minutes ago, thewomble said:

Not sure I'll get down on the Monday as travelling from Newcastle and don't have that much annual leave to spare after a couple other holidays this year so trying to save where I can. Thinking of setting off early doors 4am-ish Tuesday morning to arrive around lunch time.

If you're driving from Newcastle, I'd suggest considering splitting the journey.

See if you can set off Monday straight from work, and get as much of the journey done as possible. Then find a cheap hotel near the motorway leaving you a relatively short drive to arrive mid-morning. Doing that Monday night shouldn't be too expensive as most people won't be travelling yet - should be able to get something around the 40-50 quid mark.

3 minutes ago, Festival Sounds Podcast said:

Appreciate every job is different. I’ve previously booked a £35 Premier Inn in Bristol on the Sunday night and worked from the room with an early start and finish. Had a flexible employer tbf. Meant I was on site mid-afternoon in time to get briefings out of the way asap 

Thanks this could be an option as my manager is pretty flexible and my job is 100% computer based. Will see what I can do as don't want to miss anything! Will look into volunteering days with work or see if I can work the bank holiday at the end of the month and use that day for Glasto 

4 minutes ago, incident said:

If you're driving from Newcastle, I'd suggest considering splitting the journey.

See if you can set off Monday straight from work, and get as much of the journey done as possible. Then find a cheap hotel near the motorway leaving you a relatively short drive to arrive mid-morning. Doing that Monday night shouldn't be too expensive as most people won't be travelling yet - should be able to get something around the 40-50 quid mark.

Thank you this is another good option!! Gonna look into everything and see what I can do 😁

1 hour ago, Johnnyseven said:

I went onto the site during daytime on the Tuesday last year and none of the crew bars I visited were open. I think they're open from 6pm.

Silver Hayes definitely wasn't open, either at all or until later on the Tuesday (don't quite remember but it looked like they were still setting up some stuff). I think Tow and Hitch might have been though? We did a big clockwise lap of the site and I seem to remember grabbing a pint somewhere before we went back to the Oxfield. Think Acoustic has usually been open pretty early in the day on Tuesday in the past as well.

6 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

100%! Can't wait to see it all come to life. Can you go down to the site and walk around on those evenings? 

Yes yes and yes , see you in the crew bars, its party nights and the morning the gates open is super special - quiet with an air of anticipation and excitement. 

I suggest getting up and either up to the sign to watch the site fill up or trek it out to the inside of a gate and watch the gate open from the inside and the first punters flow through - its so emotional and special - gate A even more special as its where Emily / tv etc usually are 

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Yes yes and yes , see you in the crew bars, its party nights and the morning the gates open is super special - quiet with an air of anticipation and excitement. 

I suggest getting up and either up to the sign to watch the site fill up or trek it out to the inside of a gate and watch the gate open from the inside and the first punters flow through - its so emotional and special - gate A even more special as its where Emily / tv etc usually are 

That sounds amazing. Hadn't even thought of all that!

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

That sounds amazing. Hadn't even thought of all that!

If you have any mates in the campervan fields you can still go and see them on the Tuesday and chill out on the hill or join then for their BBQ and then stroll down the hill and go back into the festival at gate C through a little green door... I think they lock the door at 10pm but check first. That's what I did and more bars are open on the Tuesday night. I spent a few hours in the Cornish arms

1 hour ago, Funkyfairy! said:

I meant to do that last year but got leathered on the Tuesday night and got to bed at 4 and loving  the quiet lush green festival site.

Went for a wander Wed lunch to a very different place 😉 

2 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

That sounds great. The only previous year I have volunteered I was on the gates for when they opened. My job was basically saying 'Welcome to Glastonbury' to everyone as they arrived. Emotional and special, I completely agree.

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, DJL said:

That sounds great. The only previous year I have volunteered I was on the gates for when they opened. My job was basically saying 'Welcome to Glastonbury' to everyone as they arrived. Emotional and special, I completely agree.

I worked for oxfam in 2019 and basically had that job too, best start to the festival to be on gate A stood right behind Emily and family as they opened the gates.. then greeting loads of happy festival goers with a big smile 😃 

Congrats to everyone who got places today!

• Upvote 1

Feel like I'm going to have so many questions over the next couple weeks so apologies in advance!! We usually take a little stove to boil water on a morning, is it worth it for just me or will I be able to easily get hot water in the Oxfield? Gonna do everything possible to arrive Monday, but if I can't get there until Tuesday mid morning what would the space situation be? Enough for my little F&B tent?? Also wouldn't mind some recommendations for decent snacks to take on shift (as someone who is literally always hungry) 😄

12 minutes ago, thewomble said:

Feel like I'm going to have so many questions over the next couple weeks so apologies in advance!! We usually take a little stove to boil water on a morning, is it worth it for just me or will I be able to easily get hot water in the Oxfield? Gonna do everything possible to arrive Monday, but if I can't get there until Tuesday mid morning what would the space situation be? Enough for my little F&B tent?? Also wouldn't mind some recommendations for decent snacks to take on shift (as someone who is literally always hungry) 😄

Little questions are fab, crack on! it gives us a chance to think about and glastobate a bit more, and thats always a good thing! There's a couple of urns in the oxfield, hot water is always available - you really dont need to bring a little stove. There's room for everyone to camp, you might be a bit nearer the gate or a pylon or the loos than youd ideally like to be, but everyone will get in. 

In terms of snacks: well. I tend to get loads of nuts, cos i like em. Stroopwaffels are great with a tea (and as above, you can always have a tea, there's hot water) and cereal bars are quite hardy. I also quite like a pot noodle, but i get a tin of mackerel fillets in tomato sauce and smush them in and around - makes it almost approaching edible. I take loads of fruit as well, and the caterers in the Oxfield arent bad, you'll get three food tokens but they also sell food, and last year had late night pizzas and coffee etc for sale. 

one bit of advice - bring a plastic/melamine plate and a knife and fork, it saves time/money/facilities 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Little questions are fab, crack on! it gives us a chance to think about and glastobate a bit more, and thats always a good thing! There's a couple of urns in the oxfield, hot water is always available - you really dont need to bring a little stove. There's room for everyone to camp, you might be a bit nearer the gate or a pylon or the loos than youd ideally like to be, but everyone will get in. 

In terms of snacks: well. I tend to get loads of nuts, cos i like em. Stroopwaffels are great with a tea (and as above, you can always have a tea, there's hot water) and cereal bars are quite hardy. I also quite like a pot noodle, but i get a tin of mackerel fillets in tomato sauce and smush them in and around - makes it almost approaching edible. I take loads of fruit as well, and the caterers in the Oxfield arent bad, you'll get three food tokens but they also sell food, and last year had late night pizzas and coffee etc for sale. 

one bit of advice - bring a plastic/melamine plate and a knife and fork, it saves time/money/facilities 

Loving the hot water urns - can anyone advise if it's a similar setup in Avalon crew camping? Will influence what we bring...

22 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Amazing thank you! Hot water urns will definitely make life easier. Trying to pack light so if I'm leaving the stove at home, there's definitely space for a cool box instead! I've already got reusable cutlery/thermos flask on my list of things to bring 🙂 Love stroopwafels too and bet they go down a treat with a hot drink on a night shift. Don't mind an awkward spot for my tent but would rather avoid being near the loos, another reason to get down on the Monday I guess haha. 

What's the crack with crew bars/toilets around site, how do I know where these are and can you access them all or is it dependent on who you're volunteering/working with? 

57 minutes ago, thewomble said:

We usually take a little stove to boil water on a morning, is it worth it for just me or will I be able to easily get hot water in the Oxfield?

I'd say it does depend to an extent how hot you need the water.

The catering urns in the marquee which dispense water that varies between lukewarm and reasonably hot, depending on how long it was since they were last refilled, but anything higher than that you'll need to arrange for yourself.

10 minutes ago, thewomble said:

Amazing thank you! Hot water urns will definitely make life easier. Trying to pack light so if I'm leaving the stove at home, there's definitely space for a cool box instead! I've already got reusable cutlery/thermos flask on my list of things to bring 🙂 Love stroopwafels too and bet they go down a treat with a hot drink on a night shift. Don't mind an awkward spot for my tent but would rather avoid being near the loos, another reason to get down on the Monday I guess haha. 

What's the crack with crew bars/toilets around site, how do I know where these are and can you access them all or is it dependent on who you're volunteering/working with? 

Some of em can be a bit of a pain to find, but you can always ask any nearby member of staff where the staff bar is - and while typically they'll tend to let in any worker it can be a bit limited at times to 'this area's workers only' if its particularly busy (and the theatre bar are very snotty, they wont let in anyone without a t+c pass) but generally its just a matter of strolling right in.

I like the Arcadia bar (tow and hitch) cos they have sofas and pizza, and the broken britain in unfairground is decent too - i think maceos is the most popular but its all a bit DJ's/dance music for me

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

And make sure you take a mug on shift. Tea/coffee runs aren't 100% guaranteed but there's nothing worse than them turning up and that one poor sod who didn't bring a mug having to watch everyone else have a lovely cuppa. Especially at 3 in the morning.

Don't be that one poor sod.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Some of em can be a bit of a pain to find, but you can always ask any nearby member of staff where the staff bar is - and while typically they'll tend to let in any worker it can be a bit limited at times to 'this area's workers only' if its particularly busy (and the theatre bar are very snotty, they wont let in anyone without a t+c pass) but generally its just a matter of strolling right in.

I like the Arcadia bar (tow and hitch) cos they have sofas and pizza, and the broken britain in unfairground is decent too - i think maceos is the most popular but its all a bit DJ's/dance music for me

West Holts crew bar is also very handy. And they let everyone in

9 minutes ago, incident said:

I'd say it does depend to an extent how hot you need the water.

The catering urns in the marquee which dispense water that varies between lukewarm and reasonably hot, depending on how long it was since they were last refilled, but anything higher than that you'll need to arrange for yourself.

I've also seen some VERY long queues for hot water too. 

I'm in a van so I don't tend to bother. What I might do sometimes though if I'm organised is fill a flask when I get back and then it doesn't take as long to boil in the morning

I’ve got a few questions if some of you fine Glasto goers could help me out with please.

My daughter and her friend have Avalon volunteer places and I have a general admission ticket.

I’m travelling down on the Tuesday to drop them off.

1. Where is the Avalon staff camp site and where would be best to drop them off?

2. What time does the car parking open (pink/orange) by gate D?

Cheers