Volunteering 2024

Chazwozza

For those who have done Avalon - what ID do you need? Would rather not take my passport as I will 100% lose it. Driving licence is quite old and picture now looks mothing like me since I'm a fat barsteward (pun intended) these days and worried they might not accept it

22 hours ago, Lisanextdoor said:

I got loo crew today. I’ve volunteered with oxfam 3 times and was hoping to get a late space there. Quite interested to try a new type of work at the festival and grateful to be in. Has anyone done it before? How was it? Was thinking of hanging on for late oxfam space but reading the chat in here it’s probably best to take the actual offer rather than three more months of refreshing the oxfam page. 

I haven't done it but a friend did Loo Crew for the first time last year whilst I did Oxfam for the first time. What he had to do seemed a lot more cushty than me. For example, he had to sign in to each shift at the Wateraid campsite whilst I had to be at my shift location at the start of my shift - so travel time to his shift location was included in his shift while mine wasn't and it can be a very long way to where your shift is. His team had a set route of loos to clean for his shift and once his team had done them they got to end for the day (he said they always finished early). I had to stay at my post for the whole shift and could only leave once the team replacing us had arrived - which wasn't always at the correct time! If I hadn't got a coach ticket this year I was planning to try for Wateraid, I did a 6 mile sponsored swim and raised a few hundred quid for them in September last year so I was hoping that would help my chances of getting a place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/27/2024 at 5:54 PM, Gowerjack said:

Car Sharing

I'm volunteering for Avalon this year.

If parking spot become available it would be great to drive.

Anyone want to set up a car share 

M4 corridor in South Wales and points along the M5

Get in touch !

Likewise volunteering for Avalon and looking to car share… but I’m coming from Derbyshire so not ideal for either of us!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Armourman said:

For those who have done Avalon - what ID do you need? Would rather not take my passport as I will 100% lose it. Driving licence is quite old and picture now looks mothing like me since I'm a fat barsteward (pun intended) these days and worried they might not accept it

If you are in any doubt, take your passport and put it at the earliest opportunity in a Lockup. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Johnnyseven said:

I haven't done it but a friend did Loo Crew for the first time last year whilst I did Oxfam for the first time. What he had to do seemed a lot more cushty than me. For example, he had to sign in to each shift at the Wateraid campsite whilst I had to be at my shift location at the start of my shift - so travel time to his shift location was included in his shift while mine wasn't and it can be a very long way to where your shift is. His team had a set route of loos to clean for his shift and once his team had done them they got to end for the day (he said they always finished early). I had to stay at my post for the whole shift and could only leave once the team replacing us had arrived - which wasn't always at the correct time! If I hadn't got a coach ticket this year I was planning to try for Wateraid, I did a 6 mile sponsored swim and raised a few hundred quid for them in September last year so I was hoping that would help my chances of getting a place.

I personally would have thought so, as long as you put your application in early enough.

On 3/27/2024 at 7:52 PM, Lisanextdoor said:

I got loo crew today. I’ve volunteered with oxfam 3 times and was hoping to get a late space there. Quite interested to try a new type of work at the festival and grateful to be in. Has anyone done it before? How was it? Was thinking of hanging on for late oxfam space but reading the chat in here it’s probably best to take the actual offer rather than three more months of refreshing the oxfam page. 

Just go for it.  Don't hang around . You will meet new people with a different attitude towards the festival.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Armourman said:

Check with your people what’s acceptable - one time when I couldn’t use my driving licence, I used an expired passport because Oxfam accept them if the photo is still like you. 

7 hours ago, Armourman said:

Previously they have actively discouraged physical passports, instead asking for a copy of a scan/photocopy of it. 

They usually explain all in training, be patient 😌

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Johnnyseven said:

Your friend also had to literally clean up sh*t. Which no cushty perks of starting when you sign in or finishing when you've done your loos the right number of times can make up for being around that smell for more than 10 minutes at a time. 

5 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Your friend also had to literally clean up sh*t. Which no cushty perks of starting when you sign in or finishing when you've done your loos the right number of times can make up for being around that smell for more than 10 minutes at a time. 

Don't knock it until you have tried it. Honestly and I deffo ain't looking to cause any arguments but having done it, it is absolutely not as bad as many seem to fear.

I do think people underestimate the benefits of virtually all Wateraid volunteer shifts being between 06:30 and 22:30. It's fantastic to not have an overnighter and the disruption that causes to the days either side of that shift.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jay Pee said:

Don't knock it until you have tried it. Honestly and I deffo ain't looking to cause any arguments but having done it, it is absolutely not as bad as many seem to fear.

This was my friends view too. It's not like he was picking it up by hand, they had tools for dealing with it. Sounds like i'm not as squemish as you, it wouldn't bother me. Toilets need cleaning, lots of people do it every day, it's not a big deal.

Edited by Johnnyseven

2 hours ago, Jay Pee said:

I do think people underestimate the benefits of virtually all Wateraid volunteer shifts being between 06:30 and 22:30. It's fantastic to not have an overnighter and the disruption that causes to the days either side of that shift.

Fair point. I do find the overnights do mess you up the following day!

9 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

1 hour ago, Johnnyseven said:

This was my friends view too. It's not like he was picking it up by hand, they had tools for dealing with it. Sounds like I'm not as squeamish as you, it wouldn't bother me. Toilets need cleaning, lots of people do it every day, it's not a big deal.

I asked several Loo Crew people about the experience last year, and the most common descriptor was "gross", but the work was not grueling.

I applied to WaterAid last year, and would have happily done Loo Crew to earn my ticket.  However, I would absolutely not adapt my personality and lifestyle to ingratiate myself with the charity, to better my chances of being invited to 'clean up sh*t'.

It's the classic investment/return equation, innit ?

And as for 10 minutes of the smell ?  Most of the site has that distinctive aroma from wednesday afternoon anyway !

18 minutes ago, This_Fields_Good said:

I asked several Loo Crew people about the experience last year, and the most common descriptor was "gross", but the work was not grueling.

I applied to WaterAid last year, and would have happily done Loo Crew to earn my ticket.  However, I would absolutely not adapt my personality and lifestyle to ingratiate myself with the charity, to better my chances of being invited to 'clean up sh*t'.

It's the classic investment/return equation, innit ?

And as for 10 minutes of the smell ?  Most of the site has that distinctive aroma from wednesday afternoon anyway !

Do you adapt your lifestyle to reduce your carbon footprint, reduce waste or other initiatives?  I am not being contrary here either and I am one of those people who has adapted their lifestyle because of WaterAid but not for them and the entry ticket.

The point I was trying to make in one of my earlier posts was that prior to my first festival with them, I also just saw it as a way in but, dare i say it, I had a bit of an epiphany at the festival and started having some quite deep thoughts along the lines of "folk are complaining about a smell and the toilets are actually really clean.  Lots of people would kill for just a toilet near to their house and running water to wash in."  It was probably the sun and the cider and not enough water. that zapped my noggin.  It had a quite profound effect on me but I do often think deeply and have some issues with PTSD from combat operations and find volunteering very rewarding.  A long drop at Glastonbury is luxury compared to some of the places I have had to drop my back over the years.

I got the seed sewn at Glastonbury and have committed more time to the charity because of that and because of the reward one gets from giving ones time for a good cause is hard to quantify.  

I get your thought process and understand and there will be many similar but can see that in a couple of years, to make the cut with many of the charity organisations at Glastonbury will become harder and harder.    Also, surely a sponsored walk or some fund raising at work is hardly a lifestyle change is it?

All that said, if i was still 25 my thoughts and reflections may be very different.  Age and life experience does tend to make one look at things very differently as one gets older.

• Upvote 5

32 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

Do you adapt your lifestyle to reduce your carbon footprint, reduce waste or other initiatives?  I am not being contrary here either and I am one of those people who has adapted their lifestyle because of WaterAid but not for them and the entry ticket.

Different people have different outlooks and capabilities.
And investing their time to help a charity in the ways you describe may have worked for you, but does not suit everybody.

Yes I adapt my lifestyle wrt waste, energy, etc. but could not do some other things that you advocate.
I could not now, nor could I ever have been a soldier, prison warder, psychiatric nurse, teacher or charity speaker.
And then I have met other people who do those jobs and love it and find it rewarding.

And given the recent discussion on RA's, the charity walk capability is a presumption. 😉

I am expecting to work Glastonbury this year, but in a recycling crew role where I do not have to be in the spotlight, nor try to influence people.  And I would still do Loo Crew if that was an option.

Edited by This_Fields_Good
Layout.

Dammit I've just now seen now that I missed an email from Avalon saying a space became available and I had until the 14th to fill in the rest of my details. It did still let me fill it in when I clicked the link and I got an email back saying they would process my application within 2 days? Am I an idiot for being a bit hopeful?

8 hours ago, Nuthugger said:

dont wanna sound like a complete bum but what is the cushiest vol position?

I did off site stewarding. Basically involved sitting on someone's driveway making sure no one parked there.... 3 x 8 hour shifts got rather boring. The only excitement was occasional scousers offering us a grand for our wristbands and a bloke with a twix asking for directions

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Nuthugger said:

dont wanna sound like a complete bum but what is the cushiest vol position?

Be careful what you wish for, a cushy volunteer position could be very boring and the time will drag massively. A busy position is much preferable, being busy helps the time fly by.

• Upvote 2