Volunteering 2024

Chazwozza

Just now, Aragorn said:

you wouldn't, well perhaps you would believe some of the stuff people just leave for you to pick up.  From used sanitary products, used condoms, needles, bottles and things full of piss and sh*t.

I enjoyed after shifts but wont go for them as standard.  For some reason they are also 5 days this years instead of 4 on recycling crew. 

That’s one of the reasons. I have seen the piles of used travel johns left and full Lenor bottles. I’ve even checked out abandoned tents to reuse and seen a bedroom full of turds. 
I get enough of that in my day job. 
It’s probably the back breaking nature of the work that puts me off though 

29 minutes ago, tarw said:

That’s one of the reasons. I have seen the piles of used travel johns left and full Lenor bottles.

Ah yes, the Lenor/Comfort bottles - For when you need to 'freshen some laundry' in a crowded festival field after 5 pints of cider...

If the grapevine was accurate we harvested 20 wheelbarrows of 'refilled' drinks containers from the Pyramid field the morning after Elton.  Perhaps that's why he's called Elton John !
🎵 "...Well I guess that's why the call them the loos..." 🎵

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/25/2024 at 7:28 PM, Paul ™ said:

All going well, will be on the gates management team 

Hiya We were all just wondering that have Never met that team description before on here. Can we be so bold as to ask what team may that be. How can we get on there. 

Have enjoyed the interesting debate regarding Reasonable Adjustments versus just being an older and/or unfit lazy git.

It is with deep regret that with the deposit deadline looming I have just emailed Hannah to withdraw my Avalon spot because I have become the latter. I'm just not fit enough to carry the bare minimum necessary camping gear to and fro without a sack trolley these days, and you're not really meant to take them on the coach. Space is limited.

That and the whole new (for me) getting to Bristol malarkey nightmare that I have whinged enough about already in this thread. Plus the additional moved goalpost this year of having to traipse across the whole site on the Monday to get to the return coaches.

Decided I just can't risk the risk of not being able to manage it all and getting seriously stranded somehow. I'm fine standing for long periods so completing shifts is not an issue. It's just the getting there and back.

Rather pissed off that this could all be solved if I could only drive myself to site rather than the ridiculousness having to drive past the site to catch a coach that then doubles back on my route. Green it is not. Would willingly pay going price or more for a parking pass.

I totally get the reasoning. I'm sure most people would prefer to make their own way there and a couple of hundred(?) or so more cars would be a logistical nightmare. It is what it is.

Will still be trying in the resale.

@StoneCircleI honestly don't know how you still do it. Respect.

On 3/25/2024 at 9:45 AM, dondo said:

Yes plan is to have a Monday night Tow and Hitch meet again for whoever from efests is on site on the Monday. I'll post more details closer to the festival and have also set up a WhatsApp group in the past. 

Definitely a class system when it comes to volunteers. Avalon/ex Shelter aren't on site 'till the Tuesday. Personal transport allowed close to quiet campsite bourgeoisie you lot are. /s lol.

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Knowing your health record you should definitely qualify for reasonable adjustments 👍🏻

I no longer need to volunteer thankfully, I have a legitimate way in without having to jump through hoops if I don't get a ticket. This is the first time I am using it, and I realise I am truly fortunate! I hope you are lucky in the resale x

Edited by StoneCircle
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, StoneCircle said:

Knowing your health record you should definitely qualify for reasonable adjustments 👍🏻

I no longer need to volunteer thankfully, I have a legitimate way in without having to jump through hoops if I don't get a ticket. This is the first time I am using it, and I realise I am truly fortunate! I hope you are lucky in the resale x

My Glastonbury Fairy Godmother. I got my first volunteering spot thanks to you and this site and these threads.

Would've been my fifth time volunteering and two decades without missing a festival.

My own bad that I missed T day this year.

5 hours ago, marathonsteve said:

Hiya We were all just wondering that have Never met that team description before on here. Can we be so bold as to ask what team may that be. How can we get on there. 

4 hours ago, marathonsteve said:

We have asked around amongst  us . We have never heard of this ever.

It will hopefully be working as a Gate Manager directly for the festival.

Years of experience in the industry and contacts within the festival circuit, have gave us someone who works directly for Festival Republic who we know from other events.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Paul ™ said:

It will hopefully be working as a Gate Manager directly for the festival.

Years of experience in the industry and contacts within the festival circuit, have gave us someone who works directly for Festival Republic who we know from other events.

Nice.

That'd be an excellent role to get. The gate managers seem to stick around for years. 

17 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Nice.

That'd be an excellent role to get. The gate managers seem to stick around for years. 

Fingers crossed, find out in next couple of weeks hopefully.

1 hour ago, CharlotteB said:

Has anyone in the Recycling Crew heard anything about their shifts? I can't remember when we usually get told, my memory's like a sieve.

Not yet. Was start of April last year. 

7 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Have enjoyed the interesting debate regarding Reasonable Adjustments versus just being an older and/or unfit lazy git.

It is with deep regret that with the deposit deadline looming I have just emailed Hannah to withdraw my Avalon spot because I have become the latter. I'm just not fit enough to carry the bare minimum necessary camping gear to and fro without a sack trolley these days, and you're not really meant to take them on the coach. Space is limited.

That and the whole new (for me) getting to Bristol malarkey nightmare that I have whinged enough about already in this thread. Plus the additional moved goalpost this year of having to traipse across the whole site on the Monday to get to the return coaches.

Decided I just can't risk the risk of not being able to manage it all and getting seriously stranded somehow. I'm fine standing for long periods so completing shifts is not an issue. It's just the getting there and back.

Rather pissed off that this could all be solved if I could only drive myself to site rather than the ridiculousness having to drive past the site to catch a coach that then doubles back on my route. Green it is not. Would willingly pay going price or more for a parking pass.

I totally get the reasoning. I'm sure most people would prefer to make their own way there and a couple of hundred(?) or so more cars would be a logistical nightmare. It is what it is.

Will still be trying in the resale.

Definitely a class system when it comes to volunteers. Avalon/ex Shelter aren't on site 'till the Tuesday. Personal transport allowed close to quiet campsite bourgeoisie you lot are. /s lol.

Sorry to hear you won't be there this year. Shame as you say that it couldn't be sorted. 

8 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Sorry to hear that, but I can understand/empathise.

Have you thought about still trying to get Oxfam Stewarding ?  You say you're good with the shift requirements, but you'd be able to dodge all the aggro of transport and logistics.
They might be a little tricky to catch, but I'm confident there WILL be loads of Glastonbury spots between resale and the festival itself.  And the resale itself before that !
Nil desperandum.

4 hours ago, CharlotteB said:

Has anyone in the Recycling Crew heard anything about their shifts? I can't remember when we usually get told, my memory's like a sieve.

was told by Fiona end of April via Email

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, MrZigster said:

My Glastonbury Fairy Godmother. I got my first volunteering spot thanks to you and this site and these threads.

Would've been my fifth time volunteering and two decades without missing a festival.

My own bad that I missed T day this year.

Part of what motivates me is to keep my unbroken record - similar to yours - Do you really have to concede now?? It's a shame.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Festival Sounds Podcast said:

All pedestrian gates I’ve stewarded have gate managers, dealt with plenty of them over the years. Pretty friendly bunch overall and a useful escalation point when you are supervising.

As do Red and Blue Gates.

Don't *think* each of the individual vehicle gates have their own (the ones I've worked on certainly didn't anyway), and instead are covered by the relevant Red/Blue Gate Manager.

1 minute ago, Festival Sounds Podcast said:

All pedestrian gates I’ve stewarded have gate managers, dealt with plenty of them over the years. Pretty friendly bunch overall and a useful escalation point when you are supervising.

Yes it's not a new role, been around for years. 

They coordinate the wristbanders, stewards, security etc and report in to Event Control regarding flow rates, ingress figures, infrastructure issues etc 

1 minute ago, incident said:

As do Red and Blue Gates.

Don't *think* each of the individual vehicle gates have their own (the ones I've worked on certainly didn't anyway), and instead are covered by the relevant Red/Blue Gate Manager.

Yes they will fall into a zone. 

Not sure what I would get, but arrival day is the Saturday, commence on the Sunday till the following Monday. 

Just been offered an Avalon spot from the waitlist, desperate for a way in but its a really tough decision with the resale looming (post deposit deadline) and the travel restrictions compared to Oxfam (loved having the car next to the Oxfield when I stewarded with them).  Glad I've got a few days to think about it.  Even considering being prepared to lose the deposit if successful in the resale, probably need to have a word with myself!

2 minutes ago, rebus said:

Just been offered an Avalon spot from the waitlist, desperate for a way in but its a really tough decision with the resale looming (post deposit deadline) and the travel restrictions compared to Oxfam (loved having the car next to the Oxfield when I stewarded with them).  Glad I've got a few days to think about it.  Even considering being prepared to lose the deposit if successful in the resale, probably need to have a word with myself!

How would you feel if you missed out in the resale and you had turned down this guaranteed place?

I’d take the sure thing