Volunteering 2024

Chazwozza

1 hour ago, deadponyclub said:

Does it take ApplePay too?

It let me pay by Apple pay for the odd spots that come up after the second "sale" last year. It was the quickest way to pay. I am also very happy to help for others on here. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, philipsteak said:

Although that won't help others help you unless it's someone you know who can pay on their own card and you pay them back

And then reverse the whole process when the refund comes in at the end of the summer.

1 hour ago, philipsteak said:

Someone did make a similar point to one I'd made when I first posted this. I'll be driving down in my van whatever as it's my only vehicle. I could then park it in the car park and set up a tent not much smaller than my van for free. Ultimately taking up more space.

The consideration is going to be that not all space is equally valuable and specifically in this instance, Oxfield space is far more prized than Car Parking space. At Glastonbury, they're allocated a field of X square metres to fit in all Tents and Vans, whereas Cars are just using the regular festival Car Parks (which if full can overflow several fields outwards from the festival site).

While it's true that some of the largest tents are comparable to some of the smallest vans - as you say policing sizes would create way too much complication. I think we can all agree that on average tents take up substantially less space. Both in terms of the structures themselves, but also in terms of the spacing and access routes needed for vans.

4 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Ah yeah good point so the risk is minimal of using own card to pay for someone else 

The risk is minimal if they turn up and complete their shifts. But do you know that they will?

Personally I'd only consider it for someone I already knew and was in contact with outside of this.

Edited by incident

2 minutes ago, incident said:

The consideration is going to be that not all space is equally valuable and specifically in this instance, Oxfield space is far more prized than Car Parking space. At Glastonbury, they're allocated a field of X square metres to fit in all Tents and Vans, whereas Cars are just using the regular festival Car Parks (which if full can overflow several fields outwards from the festival site).

While it's true that some of the largest tents are comparable to some of the smallest vans - as you say policing sizes would create way too much complication. I think we can all agree that on average tents take up substantially less space. Both in terms of the structures themselves, but also in terms of the spacing and access routes needed for vans.

Oh, yeah, it is different. And like I said, I'm absolutely not going to do that. I probably value the convenience over the comfort

1 minute ago, incident said:

The risk is minimal if they turn up and complete their shifts. But do you know that they will?

Personally I'd only consider it for someone I already knew and was in contact with outside of this.

I've probably had mates over the years that I wouldn't trust to do that

I don’t think there’s a practical way to help others with Oxfam deposits as it’ll be returned to whoever pays it, if they do their shifts.

Also, I think it undermines the priority system - if you want a definite way in, do two festivals this year and you’ve got it! 

That said, I wish anyone trying to get a place on Thursday the very best of luck and hope to see you in the fields. 😀

24 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

I would willingly pay to be able to take my own transport to Glastonbury when volunteering. f**k all that having to get my arse to Bristol to get on a coach malarkey. 

I've got the coach from Bristol as a punter before so it holds no fear for me!

3 minutes ago, ilovelanegan said:

I've got the coach from Bristol as a punter before so it holds no fear for me!

It's a nonsense for me. How do I get to Bristol? Well I'm going to drive aren't I 'cause f**k messing around with train, underground, train with camping gear (it was a pita enough when I only had to get to London). I have to pass Glastonbury to get to Bristol so it makes a bit of a mockery of any green reasoning.

7 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

It's a nonsense for me. How do I get to Bristol? Well I'm going to drive aren't I 'cause f**k messing around with train, underground, train with camping gear (it was a pita enough when I only had to get to London). I have to pass Glastonbury to get to Bristol so it makes a bit of a mockery of any green reasoning.

Who’s that volunteering with? I thought it was Shelter that had this weird setup, but they aren’t running anything this year are they?

55 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Fair enough, it's obviously not suitable for everyone. I don't have a car so it works for me 🤷‍♀️

3 hours ago, stuie said:

Who’s that volunteering with? I thought it was Shelter that had this weird setup, but they aren’t running anything this year are they?

I've registered my interest with Avalon Bars. I'm presuming it will be the same set up as Shelter. Never did get to the bottom of whether the stopping coaches from London and Sheffield thing was down to Avalon or Shelter. Tbf I did hear that they let some people drive there last year, but only if they car shared iirc.

9 hours ago, MrZigster said:

I've registered my interest with Avalon Bars. I'm presuming it will be the same set up as Shelter. Never did get to the bottom of whether the stopping coaches from London and Sheffield thing was down to Avalon or Shelter. Tbf I did hear that they let some people drive there last year, but only if they car shared iirc.

Shelter by all accounts had some really shocking organisation behind the scenes, hope Avalon Bars is better for you!

I thought the coach was because everyone needs to arrive together to get wristbanded.

The shelter site doesn’t have parking right next door like the Oxfam field so they can’t have loads of volunteers wandering about unwristbanded trying to find the field.

16 minutes ago, amfy said:

I thought the coach was because everyone needs to arrive together to get wristbanded.

The shelter site doesn’t have parking right next door like the Oxfam field so they can’t have loads of volunteers wandering about unwristbanded trying to find the field.

It must be an absolute nightmare for everyone involved in trying to get staff wristbanded.

11 hours ago, MrZigster said:

They ended up getting more parking passes than anticipated and I think everyone who asked for one got one. Which made a mockery of me squishing four grown adults and all their stuff in my car and having to make four stops on my way home. 

Praying for a spot with Avalon and a more sensible parking policy. 

2 hours ago, amfy said:

It did if you found the right route 😉

You're right about the wristbands though. There was a rumour that a bag of wristbands had been knicked from the Shelter field too. That whole process was open to abuse and getting the wrong people in the wrong places. But not sure how it could be improved. 

If the coach thing persists, they have to be available at least from London too, preferably London, Manchester and Newcastle, otherwise the logistics and cost make it wholly ridiculous. 

1 minute ago, nikkic said:

What kind of jobs do you all do as volunteers? 

Presuming it’s litter crew, wrist bands and bar work? 

Yes plus stewarding, loo cleaning, campaigning/fundraising and lockups 

2 hours ago, dondo said:

Yes plus stewarding, loo cleaning, campaigning/fundraising and lockups 

Plus doctors and full medical teams (only for those qualified) bin painting and lots of other roles 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, tarw said:

Plus doctors and full medical teams (only for those qualified) bin painting and lots of other roles 

Ah yes. Forgot those, especially as I know a bin painter as well!

4 hours ago, nikkic said:

What kind of jobs do you all do as volunteers? 

Presuming it’s litter crew, wrist bands and bar work? 

WaterAid Vet here. Love the vibe and the experience