Volunteering 2024

Chazwozza

19 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Pleasantly surprised it's been broadly well received.

Yep, it seems that the van types are totally defying my preconceptions. Fair play.

6 minutes ago, Radiopaste said:

Anyone know if theres any Glasto places left for non-priority? Did it last year and really enjoyed it so hoping to grab a spot next week!

No idea on current specifics, but the usual rule of thumb is that Glastonbury fills about half of the ~2,500 places in priority so there should be plenty available.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Radiopaste said:

Anyone know if theres any Glasto places left for non-priority? Did it last year and really enjoyed it so hoping to grab a spot next week!

I can't check because I've booked Glasto and my other account doesn't have priority so it says 'no festivals available'.

I expect there are still places though - there usually is. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, barcelonista1899 said:

Good news about the Oxfam bus, although every year I am reluctant to take it as for me it has broken down on at least one of the journeys to or from site!

Dropped off the priority this year as last year didn't manage any festivals due to work... will see what happens next week.

It was an executive coach this year on the way back! Air conditioned and lovely. An hour late of course but I think that's fairly standard 

Campervans subsidising the Oxfam public transport options is a great idea, and i should think in the next couple of years they'll start a similar charge for a parking sticker for cars as well. If it further subsidises buses, maybe from other destinations than just Bristol, then thats a great idea. I love driving down and having my car as a kind of extra storage - and i certainly wouldnt begrudge £20 or £30 or whatever it'll turn out to be to justify that. 

Sorted for Glastonbury and Bearded.  My travel companion missed out on the latter, so still watching the page like hawks to see if we can get him a spot.

Priority is an absolute god send isn't it.  First time in years I'd been almost relaxed about sorting being in the fields!

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

If it further subsidises buses, maybe from other destinations than just Bristol, then thats a great idea.

The really cheeky one would be a one way trip from Southampton, to match up with the free IOW ferry and catch stewards who wanted to do both.

6 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

When is the oxfam thing ? Happy to help out if anyone wants to dm me 

Next Thursday 1st Feb 🙂 

1 minute ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Day off so I’ll be about . Cheers 

Quite a few on here had priority this year but there’s a couple of new people who may like help 😀

1 hour ago, stuie said:

Quite a few on here had priority this year but there’s a couple of new people who may like help 😀

Again perhaps a dumb Q but how are others able to help - is it an F5 situation like ticket day or just being on the ball / ready when they open applications?

1 minute ago, ilovelanegan said:

Again perhaps a dumb Q but how are others able to help - is it an F5 situation like ticket day or just being on the ball / ready when they open applications?

Bit of both really.

The system is a bit less predictable than the Glastonbury one (in terms of how it handles the volume of traffic) but broadly speaking, refresh until the list of festivals comes up, select Glastonbury, and then pay. First ones to pay get the spots (so it's worth having the card number saved in the clipboard).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, incident said:

Bit of both really.

The system is a bit less predictable than the Glastonbury one (in terms of how it handles the volume of traffic) but broadly speaking, refresh until the list of festivals comes up, select Glastonbury, and then pay. First ones to pay get the spots (so it's worth having the card number saved in the clipboard).

It also accepts Google Pay if that helps you speed things up

Although that won't help others help you unless it's someone you know who can pay on their own card and you pay them back

Edited by philipsteak

32 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Disappointingly not much kicking off going on 

Everyone seems agreeable enough, it’s worth £35 really. There’s a bit of a not all vans are equal vibe but I think that’s small van owners suggesting the Winnebago owners should pay more 😂

9 minutes ago, stuie said:

Everyone seems agreeable enough, it’s worth £35 really. There’s a bit of a not all vans are equal vibe but I think that’s small van owners suggesting the Winnebago owners should pay more 😂

As a small van owner I sort of agree but not enough to actually care. And I appreciate it just adds an extra layer of bureaucracy which frankly they don't need.

I do now wonder if they'll look at introducing a car park charge in the future. 

Someone did make a similar point to one I'd made when I first posted this. I'll be driving down in my van whatever as it's my only vehicle. I could then park it in the car park and set up a tent not much smaller than my van for free. Ultimately taking up more space. I mean I'm not going to do that. I love the fact I don't have to pack away a tent and all my stuff on Monday morning. I can just drive off and deal with it all some time after getting home. That alone is worth £35 as far as I'm concerned. I stopped using an awning before they were banned for that very reason.

3 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

As a small van owner I sort of agree but not enough to actually care. And I appreciate it just adds an extra layer of bureaucracy which frankly they don't need.

I do now wonder if they'll look at introducing a car park charge in the future. 

Someone did make a similar point to one I'd made when I first posted this. I'll be driving down in my van whatever as it's my only vehicle. I could then park it in the car park and set up a tent not much smaller than my van for free. Ultimately taking up more space. I mean I'm not going to do that. I love the fact I don't have to pack away a tent and all my stuff on Monday morning. I can just drive off and deal with it all some time after getting home. That alone is worth £35 as far as I'm concerned. I stopped using an awning before they were banned for that very reason.

Totally agree. I’ve only got a T4 so space is at a premium inside so I’d even pay more for an awning space.

I do have some Camo netting, old tent poles, ropes and cable ties to be inventive with whatever space I get though!