Best / Worst Food

FuzzyDunlop

BunnyChow - a scooped out half loaf filled with red hot or mild chilli, or a mix to make medium, topped with sour cream and a large garlic crouton.  

Didn’t think they were there this year as they had moved from near the The Other stage, but found them along from Leftfield/West Holts 

29604A07-3393-4AED-923B-56EE822C0578.jpeg

• Upvote 3

I didn’t eat as much this year, combination of bloating from lots of beer drank (I have learned my lesson and will go with cider moreso next time) and the searing heat but when I did eat I enjoyed the following:

- heavenly sausage by the astrolabe, excellent hot dog

- Sri Lankan street food from near to other, they only had Paneer masala left but gave me extra and it was lush!

- exotic tagine somewhere between T&C and WH I think, local to my part of London, when I worked in Kingston I used to get their wraps quite often. Had a chicken tagine this time and it was lush as well!

- rhubarb crumble slice from the tea bus near to WH field - this Pete’s me out on Sunday when I didn’t fancy a full meal and needed sugar and caffeine for my comedown after Saturday nights ‘antics’

Edited by mungo57

Best was the platter from Woks Noodles, near the entrance to the Park. A giant plate with thai green chicken curry, sweet and sour pork, shanghai noodles and steamed rice. Was absolutely delicious and fed 2 of us!

Worst was a veg chili from a burrito stand just past Greenpeace as you head down to West Holts. The chili was bland and watery.

The hotdog joint next to the Leftfield entrance to the Other field. Had a lovely big seitan hotdog with plenty of fried onions and other accoutrements and a side of chips with loads of ketchup and mayo. Out of everything we ate, that was the wurst.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, selectedalbionworks said:

Best - no bones Jones,only went due to recommendations on here ( wind caught my empty plate and slapped some poor lady in the face, truly sorry for this.)

Worst - the beef/stilton cornish pastie from that bakery type place near carhendge was the driest things that has ever entered my mouth.

this is weird as the pasties from the bakery are uniformly lovely. they are our mid shift snack of choice. Especially on Monday when they do 2for1 on them.

3 hours ago, sprocketrocket said:

Worst was a vegan burger from the bottom of the green fields - I eat a lot of veggy stuff because my wife is, but that was just gross, my kids didn't like it either. Mrs sprockrock did though... 

The best I have two contenders - one was a falafel wrap from urban falafel just behind west Holt's field, that was packed with delicious salads, and the other was a surprise contender for me I got a spicy chicken wrap from a place opposite BBC introducing which was outstanding, packed with chicken and salad and a good portion of spicy chips too. Voodoo chicken or something. 

I enjoyed Voodoo Chicken but it was painful getting the food. By the time you queued up to pay and then re-queued to collect your order, it was over an hour.

25 minutes ago, BL1ND T1G3R said:

BunnyChow - a scooped out half loaf filled with red hot or mild chilli, or a mix to make medium, topped with sour cream and a large garlic crouton.  

Didn’t think they were there this year as they had moved from near the The Other stage, but found them along from Leftfield/West Holts 

29604A07-3393-4AED-923B-56EE822C0578.jpeg

You’ve just reminded me I had one of these when our gang were having a farewell pint after Reg on Sunday. I’d spent ages trying to find somewhere with no queue that was open. Was alright but nowt special.

Our veggie mates swear by the vegan corn dogs by SH. I tried their VFC and was very impressed as a carnivore

I have to admit, the food was generally not that great. I think had some one or two great things the whole weekend and then a lot overpriced average fare, or stuff that was jazzed up with fancy words but failed to deliver.

Peacock Curry's actual curry was alright, but the mango lassi was as weak as dishwater. Didn't taste like mango at all. 

The Burgers place on the far corner of Other had an okay beef burger but their chicken and cheese was basically a chicken nugget with a cold slice of cheese placed on top, not melted or heated up or anything. Wasn't even busy.

The cheese toastie with Worcester sauce was average, could've done better myself.

The Vegan Bao place with Bao Burgers next to Leftfield was prob the most overpriced of the weekend. Like two fluffy pancakes with four paltry pieces of poultry of vegan chicken on top and some teriyaki sauce for 12 quid. Had to get something shortly after to fill me up.

The best I had all weekend was the Indonesian coconut curry on the way to BBC Intro, and the fried chicken place with halloumi fries before the bridge to West Holts coming from CarHenge.

Being a bit useless, I put this in the ‘prices of things’ thread when it’s much more appropriate here: so here goes again: 

Didn’t really feel ripped off at any time, and a couple of things felt like really good value: the tikka daal at the Goan fish curry seems to have been £8 for decades amazingly, it’s a lovely dish and a right bargain. Miss it already! 
Pietanic in t+c did an absolutely great pie with lovely chips, with gravy and some pickled kimchi stuff for £11 - that was delicious and filling and everything I could want from a pie. And I know my pies, as my username and pic can attest. The hot dog stall next to em was great quality and £7.50, I paid £12 for a dogshit hot dog at download and this was so laughably superior it was almost funny. 
beef rendang at Malaysian coconut curry was everything I’d anticipated, and I finally had a bash of the Lebanese meze at the park: PRECISELY what I needed. I swear stuffed vine leaves are a cheat code to fix my ills, I bloody love em. £11 for a great big plate of deliciousness, I’d easily pay £15 in a restaurant and that’s not in the midst of a bloody dairy farm: I was broadly very happy with the prices 👍

Edited by balti-pie

Surprised that the two veggie cafes in Croissant Neuf are not mentioned. Both have outstanding breakfasts (even when i am not a veggie), and in one of them served on an actual proper plate with knives and forks, and coffee served in mugs if desired. Patas bravas (or roasties), eggs, herby tomatoes and mushrooms, and bread, for £11 if i recall correctly. And you get to sit down at a table.  Top banana.

3 hours ago, cidermonkey said:

Best for me was the place doing vegetable Pakora with Kimchee and lime pickle for £4 in the Permaculture area, I think the place was called "Pakora". It was cooked in a pot of oil heated over a log fire which you sat around as you waited to order.  Probablly the best Pakora I have tasted.

Didnt have anything terribly bad, just some of the stalls were very overpriced as has already been mentioned.

This place is incredible. Was there in 2019 on the Saturday and cooled down by eating straight out of boiling oil pakoras.

1 hour ago, Bubbalang said:

Favourite - Korean chicken wings from the taco place near the BBC introducing stage

Yes Mexican Seoul? Had it last year, great korean chicken wings.

Remembered my worst: momos from a Tibetan place, I think the one between Other and Pyramid. Had it at night, absolutely awful, must've been sat around for hours. How can you ruin one of the world's greatest foods is beyond me.

Don’t think I had a bad meal, a couple of average meals but I knew what I would get going in but needed the carbs (Pietanic in T&C and a cheese toastie near Pyramid). 
Best meals were the Moo Moo’s from the Tibetan in West Holts for breakfast on Saturday. My first meal on site was from the Dosa place by carhenge with an added Bhajis and was amazing. 
Had a couple of good pizzas, the park Lebanese mezzo was good but the stuffed vine leafs were the star. As always No Bones Jones was incredible both times I ate there, Sunday morning when I was in such a bad way I couldn’t formulate a decision and the bloke just looked at me and said ‘let me tell you what to order’, watermelon salad saved my life that day!

4 minutes ago, The Clearest Blue said:

Don’t think I had a bad meal, a couple of average meals but I knew what I would get going in but needed the carbs (Pietanic in T&C and a cheese toastie near Pyramid). 
Best meals were the Moo Moo’s from the Tibetan in West Holts for breakfast on Saturday. My first meal on site was from the Dosa place by carhenge with an added Bhajis and was amazing. 
Had a couple of good pizzas, the park Lebanese mezzo was good but the stuffed vine leafs were the star. As always No Bones Jones was incredible both times I ate there, Sunday morning when I was in such a bad way I couldn’t formulate a decision and the bloke just looked at me and said ‘let me tell you what to order’, watermelon salad saved my life that day!

That Tibetan place is next level. I literally fan girl over their momos at every festival. 😂

I forget the name of the stall, between The Other and The Pyramid, a Chinese with a yellow sign and a panda on the logo, they were doing a big portion of chicken noodles and a soft drink for £8, definitely the best value for money I had over the weekend

2 hours ago, chuckles07 said:

Surprised that the two veggie cafes in Croissant Neuf are not mentioned. Both have outstanding breakfasts (even when i am not a veggie), and in one of them served on an actual proper plate with knives and forks, and coffee served in mugs if desired. Patas bravas (or roasties), eggs, herby tomatoes and mushrooms, and bread, for £11 if i recall correctly. And you get to sit down at a table.  Top banana.

Oh yeah totally forgot that we had an absolutely slammin red pepper and walnut lasagna in Buddafield in-between Carly and Chvrches 🤌 really pleased with how nice it was an my partner was suitably impressed, making up for the embarrassment of last year when I took her there after months of enthusing how good it normally is and then what we got just wasn't good. Buddafield back on top in 2023, we love to see it.

Plus a very very nice vegan peanut butter ice cream next to Croissant Neuf.

I've had that breakfast at the place next door once in like 2015/16 and always intended to go again but Thursdays the queue's always too massive and band days we're always in too much of a rush to go somewhere else. One year I'm back in there.

42 minutes ago, The Clearest Blue said:

Oh no, I had momos from the same place and they weren't great. I love momos but found them to be a bit dry and tasteless and the texture was a bit off. I wonder if it was just a time thing as it was about 1am when I got them, maybe they're made fresh in the morning and had been sitting round all day or something? They were probably my biggest disappointment food wise, and my mrs said exactly the same thing. I'm even more disappointed now hearing it wasn't always like that!

Bayou on West Holts was a highlight for me, as has been said several times. The brisket from the place with the big smoker was great (but their pork wasn't). The noodle place with the giant fake tower (somewhere near carhenge??) was possibly the worst all weekend, couldn't even finish it. Also had one really average cheese toastie in Silver Hays (and one great one from near bandstand).

5 minutes ago, essjay2009 said:

Oh no, I had momos from the same place and they weren't great. I love momos but found them to be a bit dry and tasteless and the texture was a bit off. I wonder if it was just a time thing as it was about 1am when I got them, maybe they're made fresh in the morning and had been sitting round all day or something? They were probably my biggest disappointment food wise, and my mrs said exactly the same thing. I'm even more disappointed now hearing it wasn't always like that!

Bayou on West Holts was a highlight for me, as has been said several times. The brisket from the place with the big smoker was great (but their pork wasn't). The noodle place with the giant fake tower (somewhere near carhenge??) was possibly the worst all weekend, couldn't even finish it. Also had one really average cheese toastie in Silver Hays (and one great one from near bandstand).

Yeah maybe it was a timing thing, I had them at about 11:30 am, the lady asked if I wanted the coriander salsa sauce thing and I recoiled as I said no, hate coriander! But then when she offered me soy sauce I think the enthusiasm in my yes made her add extra. The doughy goodness of the momo in the lake of salty soy was exactly what I needed for breakie!

Best:

• The one bite i had of my friend's coconut indonesian curry – wowza.
  • Surprisinfly, the cheese toastie I had from Archie's in Shangri-la – may have just been the situation but boy did that hit well.
  • Nashville's beef brisket hash, my word what a dish.

Worst:

• Chicken tenders from some pretty vacant chicken place I think on the stretch between the pyramid and theatre/circus fields.
  • Thai green curry from a similar area.