Should flags be banned ?

Crazyfool01

Should they ban flags or not ?  

257 members have voted

1. 1. Should they ban flags ?

• Total ban on Flags during Acts
    • Some restrictions to help those further back on disabled platforms and without physical/mental ability to go down the front see some of the stage (eg. no flags in the pit, and one flag per pole)
    • Flags everywhere - I like vibes and don't care if others can't see

Went for option 2 as some flags can be fun and it is rather atmospheric but I'd be up for a full ban tbh, there's a full ban on flares but we still get a few after all so probably works out about right.

Sadly having had this conversation in a number of places the attitude of flag w*nkers is utterly awful - proper "you come and try saying something to me mate" type threatening aggression which matches exactly what I've experienced in person when trying to ask folk to think of those behind them as their flag repeatedly hits us and gets in the way.

The Eavis's desperately need to revisit this. They need to look at how it's destroying the view for not just the folk on the Accessibility Platforms but throughout the fields - what's the point in the glorious natural Pyramid Field ampitheatre that made it such a phenomenal live music venue when you can't see squat unless you're right at the front? Elton's stage may as well have been completely empty and just videos playing on the screens. Not a scooby whether there was a stage show, never saw the stage.

Then they need to look at the attitude of flag w*nkers and ask themselves if this is what they want. Vile attitudes, completely contrary to the festivals Respect pledge and more.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, amfy said:

I remember being at V festival in about 2004 and in the build up to one band people just pelted the flags with paper cups until people put them down! By the time the band came on stage none were left! 
The crowd would chant a description of each flag in turn and target it until it went down! 
People either enjoyed the challenge of trying to keep their flag standing, or put theirs down before the crowd got to them!
I have to say it was quite fun too! 

I did wonder if people may be tempted to do something like that if the festival don't act? 

It's obviously gotten worse at the stages in my time (I have one at camp, clearly different.) I'd got used to them (through gritted teeth) until last year when you couldn't even see the screens for Macca (always stood in the same place for Pyramid.) Not quite as bad for Elton this year but still.

I honestly do not see the need. Ok, let your friends find you but once a gig starts, don't be so selfish. And that the crux, it's all about them, and have no thought to anyone behind them.  Blood boils at them! Grrrr! 

13 hours ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

I don't think anything needs done at all. The point of the flags (as far as I can understand anyway) is to see yourself/have others see you on tv. When there are so effin' many that you fade into obscurity, it defeats the (assumed) purpose and is then just a ballache. I think it'll naturally die out.

No, they will still take one to find themselves, as they are individual. But I take your point. And you're right, that's many's motivation. Why? What do they get out of it. FFS!

13 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Think the advert for X said "Coachella is rubbish or something".  As I mentioned, deleted it so can't check 

I double checked my pic didn't have any of that nonsense 🙂

Side note, not a fan of flags with a top bar thingy to keep them nicely opened (not sure what that's called, like the flags at west holts for example). Yes, make sure the WHOLE SURFACE of your flag is at all times visible to all, great!

I have this idea for a "flag" for next year

Retractable pole, topped with a dildo with a flag beneath saying:-

"This is a dick with a flag. 

Unlike other flag dicks this will go limp when the band is on" 

What do you think? 

Edited by airwaves
Change of phrase
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, airwaves said:

I have this idea for a "flag" for next year

Retractable pole, topped with a dildo with a flag beneath saying:-

"This is a dick with a flag. 

Unlike other flag dicks this will go limp when the band is on" 

What do you think? 

Only downside is, from a couple of earlier comments, some of the more colourful ones were asked to take them down, presumably for telly. 

Now if you could make it sfw - maybe a plastic aubergine and change dick to willy or something? 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Found this one during foos. Yep. Ban them. 

flag.jpeg

Wow I saw one of theirs and heard there were several but it's awful when you see them together. 

That means you know their marketing team will be sitting around patting themselves on the back smugly this week...therefore in future there will be other organisations trying to implement the same strategy - almost entirely free guerrilla advertising for a live audience of up to 7.5m?

1 hour ago, clarkete said:

Wow I saw one of theirs and heard there were several but it's awful when you see them together. 

That means you know their marketing team will be sitting around patting themselves on the back smugly this week...therefore in future there will be other organisations trying to implement the same strategy - almost entirely free guerrilla advertising for a live audience of up to 7.5m?

I would hope that their marketing department are shitting themselves right now about the potential consequences.

Radio X are owned by a big player (Global) with a lot of other Radio Stations in their portfolio that will value their access to the Festival. I don't think it's impossible that the Festival could turn around and say "Right, if you're going to pull an ambush marketing stunt like that on us, we're going to remove access to media credentials and hospitality tickets for the next 3 years across all Global properties".

It'd be hilarious, and set an important precedent. And given they're all sh*t stations, nothing of value was lost.

28 minutes ago, incident said:

I would hope that their marketing department are shitting themselves right now about the potential consequences.

Radio X are owned by a big player (Global) with a lot of other Radio Stations in their portfolio that will value their access to the Festival. I don't think it's impossible that the Festival could turn around and say "Right, if you're going to pull an ambush marketing stunt like that on us, we're going to remove access to media credentials and hospitality tickets for the next 3 years across all Global properties".

It'd be hilarious, and set an important precedent. And given they're all sh*t stations, nothing of value was lost.

I tend to trust your knowledge about many G related things, so please try not to get this  old unfit geezer so excited 😅

6 hours ago, clarkete said:

Maybe what we need is one bad year next year when the field is full of corporate flags after loads of copycats, and that's what prompts the festival to do something about it