Should flags be banned ?

Crazyfool01

Should they ban flags or not ?  

257 members have voted

1. 1. Should they ban flags ?

• Total ban on Flags during Acts
    • Some restrictions to help those further back on disabled platforms and without physical/mental ability to go down the front see some of the stage (eg. no flags in the pit, and one flag per pole)
    • Flags everywhere - I like vibes and don't care if others can't see

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

There was a cochella is sh*t flag that really made me chuckle …. Wonder if it was someone on here or elsewhere on the wind up of Supre sadly can’t find the photo I thought I took 

The one I saw which said that was a Radio  X flag.  So I deleted the picture - their ad team can get stuffed. 

1 hour ago, cidermonkey said:

If flags are affecting access to to the festival for people with disabilities then the local council should be made aware. They may then make it a condition of the festival licence for the flags to be dealt with. Its obvious Emily and her gang dont care and are unlikely to do anything unless forced.

I think the council thing isn't the worst, especially if friendly.

To be fair, I wonder if it is less about caring and about not really knowing/understanding. The flag density has increased a LOT in front of the stages, and a lot of those involved probably watch from up close/stage side.

It isn't just the visible disabilities either. It is really rubbish that people that mentally can't or don't want to push through can't see anything. 

9 hours ago, kerplunk said:

You're basically saying a direct view of the stage, the back of stage screen, being able to see the performers on the stage etc is only worth having if you're in the pit. In your world the pyramid stage field slope is surplus too (so long as you can see a screen)

Yeah although I couldn't see everything, being able to see Springsteen strut towards McCartney was magical for me. But had I been injured and maybe 20m further back, I probably wouldn't have seen it.

I don't think anything needs done at all. The point of the flags (as far as I can understand anyway) is to see yourself/have others see you on tv. When there are so effin' many that you fade into obscurity, it defeats the (assumed) purpose and is then just a ballache. I think it'll naturally die out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, strummer77 said:

It was from the previous poll (and the words of a pro-flag user)...

But also, a fair summary isn't it? If you are happy for flags everywhere, you don't care that people can't see.

I'd be somewhere between option 2 and option 3, personally I love the flags and they've never bothered me. However I can accept that they're much more of an inconvenience to many.

I don't know if it's already mentioned but can we also ban giant beach balls too? More people interested in throwing them up for a giant tennis racquet to hit back during The Editors with people just shouting 'wheyyyyyy' every time it was hit back. Listen to their 'Strawberry Lemonade' song on iPlayer and it's particular evident which is just damn right disrespectful to the band. Kudos to the frontman for not making an issue of it, but I think I would've done if people were doing it during my set.

I've changed my mind on flags this year. Always liked them and have fun reading/looking at the funny ones. Loved the one with the hat this hear when the whole crowd cheered every time it landed on someone's head. Brilliant 🤣

But there is just more and more, it's got out of control. Cant even see the screens now. Would hate to see them go entirely but I think option 2 is some very reasonable restrictions. None in the pit, only one per pole would be easy to understand and easy for stewards to implement. Also, there's pictures of a time before flags and it looks just as  stunning. 

So I'm all for flag restrictions. Personally, I would never bring one anyway so doesn't really affect me. Far too much of a Ballache to carry around. And if a friend brought one and asked me to hold it for a second I'd definitely tell them no, that's their problem! 🤣

Edited by Bike_Like_A_Mum

3 hours ago, Tiesto13 said:

Only flag that I did get see asked to be taken down was one saying “flags are for twats” before young fathers so reckon big flag has got a stranglehold on the festival. 

The “f**k the Tories” one in the middle of the front of the Pyramid mysteriously disappeared before the Elton set…

It was noticeably worse than I remembered, especially at the Other/Pyramid.

I'd say they could ban flags after 7pm (or from pre-subs on) on any of the main stages and ban them in any tents full stop. Again though, how they would enforce that, aside from the culture slowly changing over time, won't be easy. It could take several festivals before there's a reduction in flags, inflatables, dolls blocking sightlines.

I don't buy the 'need to find your mates' stuff either. You don't need to be tied to the hip 100% of the time and if you lose your mates during a toilet trip, well, get over it and enjoy the gig and see them afterwards - we're all adults, aren't we? Or leave in twos so you have someone to be with if you get lost/stuck. It was like the berks forming an elephant line holding hands cutting through/pushing past people all the time. It's not the end of the world if you're alone for half an hour at Glastonbury!

Choose a meeting point beforehand where you head to after the gig. If you're meeting friends coming from other areas and you intend to meet up for the same show, then meet up before the start time and walk into the pit/to the soundstage or wherever together.

1 hour ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

I don't think anything needs done at all. The point of the flags (as far as I can understand anyway) is to see yourself/have others see you on tv. When there are so effin' many that you fade into obscurity, it defeats the (assumed) purpose and is then just a ballache. I think it'll naturally die out.

For the folks taking flags to see themselves, far cheaper buying a mirror. Save yourself £££££££££££££

Not sure what year they became a thing, but I recall my first visit to Glastonbury 2004 they were already in front of the stages but not in huge numbers.

I can recall not being able to see the screen for Kasabian in 2009 because of the flags.

Tbh once you get a certain distance in the Pyramid field you struggle to see the stage so you do rely on the screens to see anything. 

Perhaps people could be asked to put them down when acts are on stage as a middle ground? 

I've always liked them, and they do come in handy at times when meeting friends. However, it's clearly gone past the point of being a fun addition to the festival, and is now at times a serious problem effecting the enjoyment of a sizeable minority.

Maybe a solution would be to charge people a very small fee (which would go to charity of course), give them a special wristband or something, and then confiscate the flags from people who don't have one. It's quite 'heavy handed' but I don't see how else the numbers could be restricted.

28 minutes ago, Gingerfish79 said:

I've always liked them, and they do come in handy at times when meeting friends. However, it's clearly gone past the point of being a fun addition to the festival, and is now at times a serious problem effecting the enjoyment of a sizeable minority.

Maybe a solution would be to charge people a very small fee (which would go to charity of course), give them a special wristband or something, and then confiscate the flags from people who don't have one. It's quite 'heavy handed' but I don't see how else the numbers could be restricted.

People would just pay the small fee and the same people would face the same problems.

You just tell people either to not have them/or to meet the restrictions. If a big deal is made out of the issue then most will probably comply when asked (many probably don't realise what's happening to those behind) and a lot will get peer pressured out of it. A few may remain for a while, but a few won't really cause the issues.

2 hours ago, Joey01 said:

I don't know if it's already mentioned but can we also ban giant beach balls too? More people interested in throwing them up for a giant tennis racquet to hit back during The Editors with people just shouting 'wheyyyyyy' every time it was hit back. Listen to their 'Strawberry Lemonade' song on iPlayer and it's particular evident which is just damn right disrespectful to the band. Kudos to the frontman for not making an issue of it, but I think I would've done if people were doing it during my set.

Jesus, let your hair down a little.

sounds like a party atmosphere.

3 hours ago, clarkete said:

The one I saw which said that was a Radio  X flag.  So I deleted the picture - their ad team can get stuffed. 

Agreed, I'm all for flags but corporate logos should be categorically band. Someone from our group a couple years ago had to wake up early Wednesday Thursday Friday to speak to moyles on the phone for his breakfast show. Could you be arsed?

4 minutes ago, jow95 said:

Agreed, I'm all for flags but corporate logos should be categorically band. Someone from our group a couple years ago had to wake up early Wednesday Thursday Friday to speak to moyles on the phone for his breakfast show. Could you be arsed?

Not for him 🤣

55 minutes ago, Gingerfish79 said:

Who even says it's still only a minority?

I was quite surprised on Sunday at the poor visibility. 

Used to be that in certain places you'd not see the stage - no problem I can see the screen.  But now even with what 4/5 screens (?) I could at times not see any of them fully. 

Very much not one for removing people's rights, but maybe as poll suggests either in certain areas or during performances. 

20230625_210351.jpg

15 minutes ago, jow95 said:

i actually went and  met sky news .... they were more than happy to do it at my convenience though .... so maybe a little different 

I remember being at V festival in about 2004 and in the build up to one band people just pelted the flags with paper cups until people put them down! By the time the band came on stage none were left! 
The crowd would chant a description of each flag in turn and target it until it went down! 
People either enjoyed the challenge of trying to keep their flag standing, or put theirs down before the crowd got to them!
I have to say it was quite fun too!