The Weather Thread 2024

airwaves

52 minutes ago, The Nal said:

f**k!

During the longer range outlook period, there is a greater chance of unsettled weather returning, especially across the south. This means that spells of wet weather are likely for most, notably across southern or central areas, 

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/long-range-forecast

The 'longer range outlook' the article is referring to is for 'Friday 17 May - Friday 31 May'.

It's not commenting beyond 31 May so nothing to imply bad weather late June yet.

46 minutes ago, turkey twizzler said:

The 'longer range outlook' the article is referring to is for 'Friday 17 May - Friday 31 May'.

It's not commenting beyond 31 May so nothing to imply bad weather late June yet.

Its been raining since July 2023

Site wont recover in 3 weeks with all the work being carried out on it

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

15 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Its been raining since July 2023

Site wont recover in 3 weeks with all the work being carried out on it

No expert myself but choosing to believe what the more optimistic posters on this thread have to say for now.

Some of them giving a lot more detail as to why they think the ground will still be fine despite the weather we're having.

I've still got hope, we're a while off.

haven't needed to wear wellies on site since 2017 and even then it was mild. 

law of averages would say we're due.  

climate change would suggest the really muddy days are behind us. 

suppose anything could happen really.  So long as it's not a repeat of 2005 I'm happy 

12 minutes ago, turkey twizzler said:

No expert myself but choosing to believe what the more optimistic posters on this thread have to say for now.

Some of them giving a lot more detail as to why they think the ground will still be fine despite the weather we're having.

I've still got hope, we're a while off.

Before people take the nal too seriously and get too heated on the subject it’s probably worth saying they have a traditionally negative take on the weather .  And is part of the tradition of this thread 

46 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Before people take the nal too seriously and get too heated on the subject it’s probably worth saying they have a traditionally negative take on the weather .  And is part of the tradition of this thread 

I'm convinced that their negative take is what makes the weather so great the past few years.  It's a good luck charm.  keep 'em coming @The Nal!

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Olshansky said:

I'm convinced that their negative take is what makes the weather so great the past few years.  It's a good luck charm.  keep 'em coming @The Nal!

yeah indeed was just a heads up to the new people joining , also sad no Tennis ball this year ....

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Ahhhhhhhh I've been enjoying that!

On 4/30/2024 at 10:20 AM, Jacko45 said:

Were absolutely due a good summer, I can't remember a winter as miserable as this last one.

I swear its been winter for 18 months. 

I recently had a health check.  The only thing wrong they found was that I was low in Vitamin D.  No surprise there when the sun hasn't been out for what feels like 2 years (apart from Glasto weekend last year).

4 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

Auld fuzzydunlop couldn't cope of the sun peeked out from behind a cloud or the temperature got above 15 degrees. God rest his soul. 

just for clarity I think hes still with us just didnt get tickets 

1 hour ago, Olshansky said:

suppose anything could happen really.  So long as it's not a repeat of 2005 I'm happy 

In the interests of complete clarity, I think the 2020 Glastonbury (I think it was), had it happened, would of been a complete wash out. 

Edited by kemosabe

1 hour ago, Olshansky said:

I don’t remember any rain of note in 2017? Bit of drizzle on the Wednesday night after a scorcher of a day, then overcast and mild the rest of the time. Think I was in trainers all weekend, not even boots. Remember thinking it was pretty much perfect, or am I mixing up my years? 2005 is certainly the last year I wore wellies though! (Not even in 2007!). 

2017 had the occasional light shower in the mornings, cloud burned away by lunch time, bit of persistent but light rain on the Sunday morning.  I never changed out of my cons all weekend.

2 hours ago, Spindles said:

2017 had the occasional light shower in the mornings, cloud burned away by lunch time, bit of persistent but light rain on the Sunday morning.  I never changed out of my cons all weekend.

Blimey, I'm impressed!  I can't even remember who headlined that year!  Though I do know who I camped with.

Oh hang on - that was Radiohead year wasn't it?  Can't remember who else though!  Or who I enjoyed seeing.  Let alone details of the weather though I know it wasn't as muddy as 16 or as hot as 19, 22 or 23.

I was in a tent last night, and I can vouch that the weather was poor 🤣 looks like the next few days will be decent though. Gearing up for June!

14 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

I don’t remember any rain of note in 2017? Bit of drizzle on the Wednesday night after a scorcher of a day, then overcast and mild the rest of the time. Think I was in trainers all weekend, not even boots. Remember thinking it was pretty much perfect, or am I mixing up my years? 2005 is certainly the last year I wore wellies though! (Not even in 2007!). 

The weather was way worse in 2007 than 2005, it never stopped raining in 2007 where as Sunday in 2005 was all dried up and I got sun burnt. 

Dunno how you can have avoided wellies in 2007. 

2010 All over again. Woohoo

14 hours ago, kemosabe said:

In the interests of complete clarity, I think the 2020 Glastonbury (I think it was), had it happened, would of been a complete wash out. 

Was lovely in the SW apart from the Sunday.  Spent most of it in the garden until the wee hours

1 minute ago, fred quimby said:

Was lovely in the SW apart from the Sunday.  Spent most of it in the garden until the wee hours

Must of been 2021 then. It was one of the cancelled ones definitely. 

1 minute ago, kemosabe said:

Must of been 2021 then. It was one of the cancelled ones definitely. 

I was trying to rack my brain about 21. So yea must have been. 

Also reminds me to do more memory training

33 minutes ago, Franky said:

The weather was way worse in 2007 than 2005, it never stopped raining in 2007 where as Sunday in 2005 was all dried up and I got sun burnt. 

Dunno how you can have avoided wellies in 2007. 

2010 All over again. Woohoo

It was more that there was a ton of mud but less standing water in ‘07 compared to ‘05 (where I remember standing in water up to my knees!😁). Hiking boots were grand in ‘07 (I mean they were wrecked, but still more comfy than wellies). It still broke me and I took a year off in ‘08 mind you. 2010 would suit me again alright!

5 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

It was more that there was a ton of mud but less standing water in ‘07 compared to ‘05 (where I remember standing in water up to my knees!😁). Hiking boots were grand in ‘07 (I mean they were wrecked, but still more comfy than wellies). It still broke me and I took a year off in ‘08 mind you. 2010 would suit me again alright!

2010 is the dream. Not a single drop of rain the entire time. 

Unlike like years washout 😒

Beautiful blue sky day and light breeze in Bournemouth today. Also tried out my walking boots and discovered the soles had completely disintegrated so had to chuck them away. Obviously a sign I won’t need them!