The Weather Thread 2024

airwaves

9 hours ago, Neil said:

that land doesn't really drain, it needs growing stuff to suck the water from its depths.

I mean it drains pretty quickly with a little sun . Have seen it go from swamp like to solid over the space of a few days . And that’s before they added loads of extra drainage 

15 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I mean it drains pretty quickly with a little sun . Have seen it go from swamp like to solid over the space of a few days . And that’s before they added loads of extra drainage 

That's just surface. Problem is it's saturated right down-  that doesn't drain.

5 minutes ago, Blisterpack said:

Will 11 weeks (spring/summer weeks at that) make any sort of difference do you think? 

Yes . Definitely if we get a few weeks dry weather the water table will drop … still no need for worry at this point 

12 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

warm rather than sunny I think 🙂 well 19 degrees warm 

11 hours ago, Neil said:

An outlandish rumour then!

Glorious where I am 🥳

3 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

Fed up with the weather:  just been raining, is raining or will be raining shortly.

Yeah. It's not been much better here in SE England. The quantity of rain we've had to endure since Christmas has been ridiculous.

Ground water levels are high but ground water levels do drop, despite some suggesting they do not.

If they did not drop then the UK is forever flooded. Ground water will drain into vast underground natural reservoirs and then slowly release in springs and drain out into rivers and the sea.

Overcast weather is also great for drying, sun is a bonus but dry and warming weather will dry. Wind is also superb at drying the surface.

39 minutes ago, Not Dead Yet said:

Ground water levels are high but ground water levels do drop, despite some suggesting they do not.

If they did not drop then the UK is forever flooded. Ground water will drain into vast underground natural reservoirs and then slowly release in springs and drain out into rivers and the sea.

Overcast weather is also great for drying, sun is a bonus but dry and warming weather will dry. Wind is also superb at drying the surface.

It is also influenced by height AMSL plus the soil / ground composition. The south downs / Hampshire area with the chalky aquifers will have the ground water causing challenges in some areas for the next several months even if it does not rain for the next several months. The areas is like a soaking sponge.

Pilton is higher / more hilly and will start to lose the high ground water levels more quickly. As long as we get some breaks rainfall wise in the 6 to 4 weeks pre festival.

I've realised that for at least the last two Glastos I haven't spent weeks in the lead up looking out of the window, and commenting on whether it's raining or not and what that means for the condition of the ground at the festival (much I'm sure to the delight of all my colleagues).  That's because the last few years it hasn't been as wet in the long term run up and I've been saying "it doesn't matter so much about immediately before the festival, it's how much the ground is saturated" (again much to the interest of my colleagues).  I'm sure 2016 was so bad because it had been raining forever beforehand and new rain had nowhere to go.

Ah well, acoustic lineup is ok - I can shelter in there if need be!

8 of the major meteorological agencies around the world have released their temperature forecasts for June. All 8 have gone for a warmer than average June in the Glastonbury area, some considerably so. Given the effect global warming has had on the climate and the temperature records that have been broken over the last year, that’s no real surprise, but nice to see such consistency nonetheless.

IMG_4313.thumb.jpeg.7d1e26b3a5ec372be4456ab6eb92e052.jpeg

• Like 3

Was thinking about this recently and how it hasn't stopped raining since last July! The ground must be mega saturated. 

There must be many new glasto goers from the last few years who have never experienced the joys of a wet and muddy one!

Screenshot_20240413_081105_Photos.jpg