Lana Del Rey Curfew

Tom_12

20 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

They wouldn't cancel it. But the festival would have to fight it and go to bat for her, they chose not to. Much of that choice I imagine is based on attitude, both during and before the festival. By all accounts Lana wasn't willing to work with them so they just left her our to dry. Not sure what else could have been done.

They are. Her performance was scheduled to end at 2245 and they let her play until 2300.

Was an hour later than that I think.

Tbh I was annoyed they put her on an hour after GnR started anyway, didn’t get it. I’m a fan of her records but has very low expectations for her live but I thought she was great tbh. She’s still a f**king idiot tho and a total diva. Doubt she’ll be back 

I wasn't going to engage in this discussion but it really took a turn. I was one of the big fans in the crowd and this performance was going to by my highlight and still was.

Whoever thinks that the hair stylist not being there on time was a trivial reason for delay clearly has not seen her full performance from Brazil. The hairdo bit is a big part of the production of her show and I am sure her hair needs to be done in a very specific way so no, she could not have had it done by any other stylist on site. The part when she's sitting in front of the dresser singing Bartender and her dancers undoing her hair is an intentional and rehearsed part of the show and cutting it out would be in a way compromising the artistic value of the performance. I feel like she wanted to deliver her show exactly as intended and it's very sad and upsetting that she was not able to do that. Would be worth knowing why the screw up with the stylist happened in the first place because if it was something from the festival side not issuing necessary passes then you can really see why Lana's crew got pissed off in the first place. I'm not condoning this behaviour as I do believe it's unprofessional but just pointing out that there are surely two sides to that story.

With that being said I support the festival in enforcing the curfew, as sad as it was. Rules are there for a reason and I wish Lana and her team were flexible enough to adjust the show and cut some lesser known songs to fit the timeframe but that's sadly not something they were capable of doing. The lack of experience in touring clearly played part. 

What I really don't like is the misogynistic undertone of some of the comments on here. It's made out to be as she's a just a diva with her diva demands and silly girl hair problems. Yes, it was all very unfortunate but to suggest that Lana doesn't care for her fans is just ludicrous. She's clearly not an easiest artist to work with but surely she's not the only one and people working in this industry must be prepared to deal with all kinds of situations and behaviour. Glastonbury dealt with it the best way they could and that's that.

Hoping the show will show up on iPlayer at some point cause I still think it was epic! Just not as much for the more casual festival goers who chose that as their headline and were there for the big hits...

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

The use of the b word earlier was unnecessary, misogynistic and unfair. The stuff about doing her hair would be if it wasn’t based on what she seems to have said and done.

The biggest difference between her and McCartney/Springsteen though is surely the size of the crowd - a Macca crowd on the other would be beyond dangerous? Would her live streams on iPlayer compare? 

if Axel had done this on the Pyramid and they had stopped it I would have blamed him, because he has form for it, as does Lana.

going to be late for work tomorrow and see if blaming my boss will fly 

also going to be late for my Drs appt and then blame the Dr

"excuse me Arriva can you hold the train for me im going to be late......what you are not???? you are a disgrace and its all your fault"

16 minutes ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

Yes, I remember famously when NERD were over time and they let them run on....oh wait. They cut the mic, and then cut the screens when the crowd kept singing anyway

Just before them however, Regina Spektor was allowed to run over 

So misogynistic.

NERD was an afternoon slot I believe.

The misogyny is throughout this thread. Ignore it if you want. 

9 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

They've treated her differently than Macca and Springsteen. And not anyone else who has ever headlined the festival.

And to be able to actually go to bat for her, if they wanted to, they'd need her cooperation. They'd need to collectively agree a viable story to peddle to the council as to why it ran late. In the case of Macca and Springsteen, it required both of them to take full responsibilty for it and that it was all their fault for not keeping time. Is that true? Probably not. 

But can you truly imagine Lana actually telling Somerset Council it was her fault? Or you reckon she would have blamed someone else?

I'm getting tired of your cricket metaphor. Did Macca and Bruce turn up at the council?

3 minutes ago, pryce said:

going to be late for work tomorrow and see if blaming my boss will fly 

also going to be late for my Drs appt and then blame the Dr

"excuse me Arriva can you hold the train for me im going to be late......what you are not???? you are a disgrace and its all your fault"

Hilarious. Do you have an agent?

17 minutes ago, DJL said:

The use of the b word earlier was unnecessary, misogynistic and unfair. The stuff about doing her hair would be if it wasn’t based on what she seems to have said and done.

The biggest difference between her and McCartney/Springsteen though is surely the size of the crowd - a Macca crowd on the other would be beyond dangerous? Would her live streams on iPlayer compare? 

if Axel had done this on the Pyramid and they had stopped it I would have blamed him, because he has form for it, as does Lana.

The crowd at the Other Stage was huge - especially by the end as people migrated from GnR (underwhelming), and Fatboy Slim (couldn't get close enough to hear properly).  

There's also a fair argument that she should have been headlining the Pyramid - she sold out 80k tickets for her BST show in a flash, whilst GnR are still trying to shift theirs.   I'm guessing they were already committed to GnR by the time that became apparent, and couldn't really switch them around.   

But when she made noises about being too far down the poster, in hindsight she had a point - who had a bigger crowd all weekend?  Elton, Arctic Monkeys and Foo Fighters?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, goonerben said:

But when she made noises about being too far down the poster, in hindsight she had a point - who had a bigger crowd all weekend?  Elton, Arctic Monkeys and Foo Fighters?

Lizzo, lewis capadi, blondie, Yusuf, gun n roses arguably, Rick Astley had bigger. So, I think she was perfectly placed.

8 minutes ago, goonerben said:

The crowd at the Other Stage was huge - especially by the end as people migrated from GnR (underwhelming), and Fatboy Slim (couldn't get close enough to hear properly).  

There's also a fair argument that she should have been headlining the Pyramid - she sold out 80k tickets for her BST show in a flash, whilst GnR are still trying to shift theirs.   I'm guessing they were already committed to GnR by the time that became apparent, and couldn't really switch them around.   

All fair points. Weren’t our guesstimates for the capacities of the different stages a pretty big gap between the two?

1. Pyramid - Open Air - 120,000
  2. Other - Open Air - 70,000 (guess)

I have no idea to be honest, have never seen an act with a really big crowd on the other from the back.

I feel for the fans definitely, my frustration when it happens is generally with the artist though. Festivals in the UK have serious curfews, it is a part of the history of the site, I really don’t think that would ever be them being petty. 

6 minutes ago, Dreamingofsunnydays said:

Lizzo, lewis capadi, blondie, Yusuf, gun n roses arguably, Rick Astley had bigger. So, I think she was perfectly placed.

A pretty sad list of legacy acts which increasingly is tarnishing the credibility of the festival as a festival of contemporary music.

She should have headlined the pyramid instead of GnR or AM.

5 minutes ago, Colorblindjames said:

A pretty sad list of legacy acts which increasingly is tarnishing the credibility of the festival as a festival of contemporary music.

Ah yes. The famously aged acts Lizzo and Lewis Capaldi.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Colorblindjames said:

Can I ask why? Just because you clearly are such a fan of her?

I don’t think AM and GnR were necessarily the correct choice of headliner, but AM are the biggest UK band of the past 20 years, are touring a new album and haven’t played the festival in 10 years. GnR are undeniably one of the biggest rock bands of all, making their debut at the festival, with the original band back together.

I am a really big Lana fan, but I think she’d get lost as a pyramid headliner. She just isn’t a household name in the UK (probably wrongly due to how good she is). 

49 minutes ago, sneakysabi said:

What I really don't like is the misogynistic undertone of some of the comments on here. It's made out to be as she's a just a diva with her diva demands and silly girl hair problems.

You make some good points, but I think you touch on the issue there - it's not about misogyny so much as it's about production version music. Yes, the hair is an important part of the "show" but generally this place is full of older punters who don't really care so much about the stage show as they do the music. It'd be more akin to Elton refusing to go on if the fireworks weren't ready and working for the first song. 

We'd all be saying the same stuff: just go on and play the bloody song. Yeah, it's a shame the pyros aren't working but you make do.

It's certainly a bias many here hold (and it's encapsulated by how much this forum generally hates Muse, who are one of the very few male-fronted rock bands who openly put more into the stage than the music...) but I don't think it's misogyny. 

43 minutes ago, Colorblindjames said:

I'm getting tired of your cricket metaphor. Did Macca and Bruce turn up at the council?

They both took responsibility for the overrun and offered to pay the fine. Would Lana have done that? If she'd engaged with the festival production team at any point, they could maybe have come to some sort of agreement too. But she didn't. That's the difference. Breaking the curfew is doable if the artist and the festival are on the same page - it isn't if they are at odds.

1 minute ago, Colorblindjames said:

You conveniently forgot about the other 4. 

Shouldnt have included them in your "list of legacy acts" then.

One common trend Ive noticed with deranged LDR fans on Instagram especially is how quick they are to tear down Lizzo despite her having absolutely nothing to do with any of this.

10 minutes ago, Colorblindjames said:

And honestly, what would have happened if she had? Would being on the Pyramid have magically made her start the show on time? She'd have been one of the most disappointing Pyramid headliners ever, it would be all over the papers as a total car crash "turns up late, doesn't finish show". And the amount of eyes on her in that situation, it would have been a potentially career-ending disaster.