No Row Mead this year.

Doug85

Given the amount of people complaining about overcrowding last year I expect that’s a reason. Also I expect they would have had a final site inspection today from Mendip council prior to opening so maybe there were extra H&S requirements they had to make at last minute??  

5 minutes ago, sedra said:

Given the amount of people complaining about overcrowding last year I expect that’s a reason. Also I expect they would have had a final site inspection today from Mendip council prior to opening so maybe there were extra H&S requirements they had to make at last minute??  

The issue is that the west camping is going to be hard enough and if they close row mead they will push some of those tents toward that side of site . Really not joined up thinking for those arriving by public transport which they aim to enourage . 

3 hours ago, Brendan110_00 said:

I remember when I walked along the tent line there during Dolly Parton, took an hour it was that packed, no foot space, pretty dicey if you tripped in mud. Probably for the best IMO.

Was awful for Diana Ross around the edges. I was trying to help someone and make my way to Amyl and it took me ages to get out and was quite unpleasant for me - and I’m quite big and ok in crowds. Agree it is a good decision. 

2 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

Was awful for Diana Ross around the edges. I was trying to help someone and make my way to Amyl and it took me ages to get out and was quite unpleasant for me - and I’m quite big and ok in crowds. Agree it is a good decision. 

I echo your thoughts on this. Leaving the field to go for a piss an hour into the Rolling Stones set felt really unsafe, and that's me as a seasoned festival goer, 6'1, happy in dense crowds, etc. Having more space as a pyramid overflow for the mega acts is a wise move. I didn't even attempt to try and get back into the field and went and met some other friends at Chase and Status instead. Something I would never have even contemplated pre-festival. 

15 hours ago, kalifire said:

Booking Rick Astley was always going to have consequences.

Or the Churnups.

Thats a good and bad thing though. Good theyre addressing some crowding issues but now youre going to have people fighting hand over fist for spots even more. Would probably feel more assured if I had pre erected camping sorted and didnt have to be concerned about there being less space to choose.

Edited by Suprefan

Let’s hope they sort the camping out if it doesn’t revert back … although I’d say it’s only needed in years of exceptionally big headliners , stones and Elton being the only 2 it’s happened for if I recall 

Edited by Crazyfool01

It's weird. Despite the decrease in public camping and the increase in the size of tents people are bringing year on year, I have personally felt less cramped at camp the last two than pre pandemic.

Saying that I do camp on the edge so have no need to "go deep".

9 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Hopefully they keep it as extra crowd space.

Would be good if it became an unofficial (or official) area for families with kids and buggies to watch. Which in turn would free up more space further down.

Agree on this - give it a name, add a repeater, designate it the space for those who want to chill in a chair or hang out with their kids. They will need to add in a bar/food and an extra urinal up there somewhere though.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Drinky said:

Agree on this - give it a name, add a repeater, designate it the space for those who want to chill in a chair or hang out with their kids. They will need to add in a bar/food and an extra urinal up there somewhere though.

There are toilets up at the back (but no urinals though) and getting down to the Cider Bus wasn't too much of a hassle except for Elton.

There's no act Glastonbury could book now that would ever draw a crowd as big as Elton's though.