Gazebo ban in hot temperatures

hottie123

I know there is a gazebo ban and the reason is to make more space for tents...

But given glastonbury has experienced 30c+ temperatures a few times in recent years and may also this year does this rule not seem a bit stupid?  If you look at other festivals, particularly those in hotter countires (Australia, U.S.A etc) people are able to create shade in their campsites.  Without this at glastonbury you can either take refuge in your baking hot tent or battle for shade next to or in a loud, busy and probably hotter tented stage.

I've been to other festivals where they have waived this rule in extreme temperatures but glastonbury are incredibly strict with it. Is there any chance there could be some lenience?

Edited by hottie123

It's not just about room for camping though. People usually bring absolutely sh*t gazebos that either collapse and break at the first sign of wind then end up in the bin or take off and fly at high speed potentially injuring people/ripping other peoples tents with the legs. 

38 minutes ago, hottie123 said:

But given glastonbury has experienced 30c+ temperatures a few times in recent years and may also this year does this rule not seem a bit stupid?  If you look at other festivals, particularly those in hotter countires (Australia, U.S.A etc) people are able to create shade in their campsites.  Without this at glastonbury you can either take refuge in your baking hot tent or battle for shade next to or in a loud, busy and probably hotter tented stage.

I've been to other festivals where they have waived this rule in extreme temperatures but glastonbury are incredibly strict with it. Is there any chance there could be some lenience?

The temperatures reached in Australia and much of the USA are not even comparable to  a 30 degrees day on the farm!

49 minutes ago, hottie123 said:

1. You should count yourself lucky that team F&B haven't yet piled on you yet. 

2. There may be contention for it, but there are quite a lot of shaded places and plenty of them not as you describe - as with anything at the fest if you think about your needs and that turns into the primary one then go to an appropriate stage. 

3.  Having a campsite littered with gazebos would reintroduce an old problem - a fair proportion get abandoned after the festival. 

• Upvote 1

After the heat of 2019 our group room one of those storm shelter things last year . Stick it over our small space we had between our tents , straddling a load of our tents. Didn’t stop anyone else camping, didn’t take any more space and was a godsend during the hot spells. Nobody mentioned anything to us so I think common sense was in order. It’s back with us this year

Those pop up gazebos are a waste of space though, can’t be secured and just fly away. The storm shelter one coped no problem 

39 minutes ago, gfa said:

The temperatures reached in Australia and much of the USA are not even comparable to  a 30 degrees day on the farm!

Out of interest had a google and coachella was around 30C weekend 1 apparently.  I went to a festival in australia and many of the stages had an 'open air' sort of covering. I'll aggree it was much hotter but for some reason felt more manageable than 2019 glasto. 

Some sort of covering that can be tied inbetween tents so I can nap in the day if needed seems the best option so i'll look into that.

• Upvote 1

Usually the issue with heat in England is the humidity. If the amount of evaporated water in the air is high enough, your sweat can't evaporate (or at least not as quickly) which means that you become both warmer and sweaty. In the deserts of America or Australia, there is likely to be very low humidity. On a West country dairy farm situated next to a river, be prepared to feel incredibly sweaty.

There's not really anything you can do about the humidity, so I think the key is to cool down yourself. Find shade, drink cool drinks, and obviously invest in a Fresh & Black tent.

6 hours ago, concerned said:

It's not just about room for camping though. People usually bring absolutely sh*t gazebos that either collapse and break at the first sign of wind then end up in the bin or take off and fly at high speed potentially injuring people/ripping other peoples tents with the legs. 

and yet, i've never seen it. Seems total fiction to me. The ban is only about the room that they take up. There isn't much shade onsite. The situation is helped by people having better tents. I'm in a minority, but I miss the gazebo. It was in the middle of four tents, where they opened out. We never left it. People used to leave tents, will they ban them next? 

21 minutes ago, Fil said:

and yet, i've never seen it. Seems total fiction to me.

Did you attend Glastonbury prior to approx 2010, or ever go to the likes of Reading/Leeds/Boardmasters?

I can remember very clearly back in the 00s it was very common to see countless abandoned, broken gazebos in various states of disassembly on the Monday. They were about 15 quid from Argos at the time and utter shite.

If the environmental impact wasn't part of the decision making process, it damn well should have been.

2 hours ago, sedra said:

There were loads of those event shelter dome tent things last year 

Was just coming to say this, there was loads. But because they have sunwalls that zip up, I guess there's not a lot that can be done, people could genuinely be using them to sleep in. 

6 hours ago, incident said:

Did you attend Glastonbury prior to approx 2010, or ever go to the likes of Reading/Leeds/Boardmasters?

I can remember very clearly back in the 00s it was very common to see countless abandoned, broken gazebos in various states of disassembly on the Monday. They were about 15 quid from Argos at the time and utter shite.

If the environmental impact wasn't part of the decision making process, it damn well should have been.

yep, since 97. Last festival was 2017, so some small change is possible. There was a time when people started leaving far more stuff, including everything. Tents, cases of beer, clothes. It was shameful. You can't single out Gazebos. For people who took them home, they made a nice shady spot or even dry spot. I hope that, if we have a hot one, we don't see the medical people over run. Heat stroke is no fun. Why should people who did it right suffer? Clearly they shouldn't, but the enviromental side makes a great argument for not buying in more camping space.

9 hours ago, Fil said:

and yet, i've never seen it. Seems total fiction to me. The ban is only about the room that they take up. There isn't much shade onsite. The situation is helped by people having better tents. I'm in a minority, but I miss the gazebo. It was in the middle of four tents, where they opened out. We never left it. People used to leave tents, will they ban them next? 

I've never seen an orangutan, it doesn't mean they don't exist.

The wind getting under gazebos is inherent to the design/function of them where as tents with solid walls do not have the same issues.