Gazebo ban in hot temperatures

hottie123

16 hours ago, hottie123 said:

I know there is a gazebo ban and the reason is to make more space for tents...

But given glastonbury has experienced 30c+ temperatures a few times in recent years and may also this year does this rule not seem a bit stupid?  If you look at other festivals, particularly those in hotter countires (Australia, U.S.A etc) people are able to create shade in their campsites.  Without this at glastonbury you can either take refuge in your baking hot tent or battle for shade next to or in a loud, busy and probably hotter tented stage.

I've been to other festivals where they have waived this rule in extreme temperatures but glastonbury are incredibly strict with it. Is there any chance there could be some lenience?

Just take an umbrella. Easy.

16 hours ago, hottie123 said:

Out of interest had a google and coachella was around 30C weekend 1 apparently.  I went to a festival in australia and many of the stages had an 'open air' sort of covering. I'll aggree it was much hotter but for some reason felt more manageable than 2019 glasto. 

Some sort of covering that can be tied inbetween tents so I can nap in the day if needed seems the best option so i'll look into that.

It was 37- 38 all of weekend 2 and over 40 at Stagecoach which was the after lol. Weekend 1 was "cold" by our standards. This is why only 2 stages are total open air and 2 of the tents have air conditioning in them. 

uv index is the concern at glasto for sure. Along with some of the humidity.

IMG_3861.jpeg

Edited by Suprefan

2 hours ago, concerned said:

I've never seen an orangutan, it doesn't mean they don't exist.

The wind getting under gazebos is inherent to the design/function of them where as tents with solid walls do not have the same issues.

So? A problem with one badly setup cheap gazebo some where else. (Ban them all then ! /s ) . https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/scorching-glastonbury-weather-sees-dozens-17273301

ITs not just the space thing or the environment - although both are important.  The entitled behaviour of some camps with gazebo's was horrific, actively calling out people who walked through "their space".  This has happened to me on more than one occasion and quite frankly is not in the spirit of the festival.

1 hour ago, Fil said:

So? A problem with one badly setup cheap gazebo some where else. (Ban them all then ! /s ) . https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/scorching-glastonbury-weather-sees-dozens-17273301

One of these things does not solve the other - as is bloody obvious 170,000 people don't stay at their tent. 

1 hour ago, clarkete said:

One of these things does not solve the other - as is bloody obvious 170,000 people don't stay at their tent. 

Really helps though. People putting up tarps over a number of tents would be worse. Which is what is now starting to happen. People take them for shade. Banning them doesn't solve it. 170k people can't find shade on the site. It isn't there. When people start to feel unwell, where do they go? Most will head back to the tents to see if that would help.

If people are taking them home and putting them up correctly, what's the problem if it isn't space.

2 hours ago, Fil said:

When people start to feel unwell, where do they go? 

If people are taking them home and putting them up correctly, what's the problem if it isn't space.

1. FMS - as they have for decades. 

2. They don't take them home and they do take up space - they didn't merely change this on a whim. 

3.  They didn't help heat stroke in any way. 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/hundreds-treated-heat-exhaustion-glastonbury-128559

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1289558/Glastonbury-finale-Englands-World-Cup-clash-Germany--weekend-hots-up.html

2 hours ago, clarkete said:

1. FMS - as they have for decades. 

2. They don't take them home and they do take up space - they didn't merely change this on a whim. 

3.  They didn't help heat stroke in any way. 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/hundreds-treated-heat-exhaustion-glastonbury-128559

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1289558/Glastonbury-finale-Englands-World-Cup-clash-Germany--weekend-hots-up.html

1 - They'll head there when they've gone beyond feeling a little unwell.

2 - I have always taken mine home, and so have most people. Don't judge the many based on the few.

3 - Yes they did. It also helped people have a better time. I don't think that these links reflect the true situation. They just make this stuff up. However, I don't seem to be able to find offical figures to compare heat vs treatments. I'll just point out that if your feeling over hot, would you rather get some shade under  quality gazebo or stay in the full sunlight.

Hey, listen - you have a great festival. Take care of yourself and your friends. Drink water at least for some of the day.

9 hours ago, Suprefan said:

It was 37- 38 all of weekend 2 and over 40 at Stagecoach which was the after lol. Weekend 1 was "cold" by our standards. This is why only 2 stages are total open air and 2 of the tents have air conditioning in them. 

uv index is the concern at glasto for sure. Along with some of the humidity.

IMG_3861.jpeg

Sod those temperatures, I’d combust!