Primavera Sound 2024

UsernameHere

4 minutes ago, Drums Please Fab said:

Don’t understand the Lankum hype at all. And I say that as an Irishman born and bred.

They seem to be held in higher esteem outside the country than in. 

But the foreigners do love the paddy whackery more than we do ourselves.

I decided to give them a fair go as they have their own mini fest in Dublin. 

It's not great imo. I don't get the hype either. I'd be so bored watching them.

Give me Mary Wallapors or the scratch for fun or to make a fair comparison alot of other Irish folk music is way better.

7 minutes ago, Drums Please Fab said:

Don’t understand the Lankum hype at all. And I say that as an Irishman born and bred.

I'll chime in as another Irishman.

I think the difference is Lankum are sort of mixing post rock tendencies with trad music so they're definitely standing out as something a bit different. To me they're like a trad band mixed with Swans, if that makes sense.

Personally I really like the album and they look good live.

A heads up to anyone flying from London. Just booked flights with British Airways from Heathrow for £204 return. 6am out on the Weds and 9pm on way back on the Sunday. Return leg was only £39 (plus £17 for selecting seat in advance)! Cheapest with easyJet was about £350 from Gatwick.

Edited by Ildavo

2 hours ago, Drums Please Fab said:

Paddy whackery is a nonsense descriptor when talking about Lankum. Perhaps youre looking for a different term, but to suggest they're inauthentic, or stage Irish, is frankly ridiculous. 

I spend about two thirds of my year in Ireland, and they're held in very high regard there too. Sold out shows all over the country, Choice Music Prize winners in 2017 (and I'd wager in 2024 too) and glowing reviews from every publication of note. 

Not sure any of what you say stacks up, other than you don't like them. Which is fine... But don't pretend Lankum is some foreign curiosity. 

All that being said - for me, they're an act I'd rather see indoors than outdoors. So placement is crucial, I think. 

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, xxialac said:

So…Sault finally played last night.

3 hours and epic production. Seems to have been got universally great reviews.

Don’t let all that rehearsing be for nothing and please add them (for the Friday natch!)

This setlist (just the link to avoid spoiling for people) is incredible. 

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/sault/2023/the-drumsheds-london-england-3ae6117.html

Gutted to miss it. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ConfidenceMan said:

All that being said - for me, they're an act I'd rather see indoors than outdoors. So placement is crucial, I think. 

They have adapted their sound to bigger spaces and outdoor. They actually sound a bit out of place in small venues these days. With that said, they play a good 20-30 db more quiet than a typical rock band, so crowd noise may be an issue.

3 hours ago, xxialac said:

So…Sault finally played last night.

3 hours and epic production. Seems to have been got universally great reviews.

Don’t let all that rehearsing be for nothing and please add them (for the Friday natch!)

Seeing videos of the show I totally get why they wouldn't play any festival ever honestly. Would be amazing to have them in Barcelona but clearly they've built something incredible and probably will only play in spaces that allow that level of production for the foreseeable. 

45 minutes ago, Gnarler said:

Seeing videos of the show I totally get why they wouldn't play any festival ever honestly. Would be amazing to have them in Barcelona but clearly they've built something incredible and probably will only play in spaces that allow that level of production for the foreseeable. 

Yup, I can see that being the case.

Holding out hope for a late night rayban stage set cause I, obviously, love being disappointed.

1 hour ago, Gnarler said:

Or they could earn a hell of a lot of money by going on tour!

I’m sure they have bills to pay…

• Upvote 1

Do any Primavera festival attendees go to more commercial festivals? I'm going to Isle of Wight festival for first time next year. I do Primavera to mainly discover new music, but then like to do other festivals with acts I'd go and see on their own tours. With Prodigy, Pet Shop Boys and Green Day headlining IOW, I'm more than happy. 3 of the best live acts (for me) headlining is brilliant. It can get pretty snobby on here regarding who is "worthy" of being at Primavera, but I feel any act should be welcome at Primavera. It's the most diverse festival out there and no act should be off limits.  

Sugababes at Victorious Festival in 2022 was my highlight of that particular festival btw. Gorrillaz the best at Primavera the same year.  Car Seat Headrest for me in 2019. I hope Primavera continues to book a diverse range of acts and even reaches for artists that would not be considered previously. I'm bored of seeing The National on every other year of the line up. Luckily there will always be something else I can see.

8 minutes ago, Ildavo said:

Do any Primavera festival attendees go to more commercial festivals? I'm going to Isle of Wight festival for first time next year. I do Primavera to mainly discover new music, but then like to do other festivals with acts I'd go and see on their own tours. With Prodigy, Pet Shop Boys and Green Day headlining IOW, I'm more than happy. 3 of the best live acts (for me) headlining is brilliant. It can get pretty snobby on here regarding who is "worthy" of being at Primavera, but I feel any act should be welcome at Primavera. It's the most diverse festival out there and no act should be off limits.  

Sugababes at Victorious Festival in 2022 was my highlight of that particular festival btw. Gorrillaz the best at Primavera the same year.  Car Seat Headrest for me in 2019. I hope Primavera continues to book a diverse range of acts and even reaches for artists that would not be considered previously. I'm bored of seeing The National on every other year of the line up. Luckily there will always be something else I can see.

Really don't agree that every act should be bookable. We are all snobs. We all have movies we like and movies we don't rate, music we like and music we can't stand etc. Whilst we have different tastes, you can to a degree cluster people with good curation.

If they put, say, Liam Gallagher or Coldplay, it would no longer feel well curated.

And yeah, for my tastes, commercial stuff like the Black Eyed Peas should definitely be off limits.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

Really don't agree that every act should be bookable. We are all snobs. We all have movies we like and movies we don't rate, music we like and music we can't stand etc. Whilst we have different tastes, you can to a degree cluster people with good curation.

If they put, say, Liam Gallagher or Coldplay, it would no longer feel well curated.

And yeah, for my tastes, commercial stuff like the Black Eyed Peas should definitely be off limits.

But booking Maneskin and Calvin Harris is good curation?... not that I have an issue with them being booked as there is plenty of other acts to see. Primavera should have no limits and surprise us. Booking The National every other year is worse (in my opinion) than booking Liam Gallagher or Coldplay once ever.

Edited by Ildavo

I'd rather see The National for the the tenth time than Liam Gallagher for the first time, same as I'd prefer watching any of my favourite movies again to watching some crappy movie I've never seen before.

They are a great live band with an exceptional back catalogue. Given their relationship with the festival and TWO new albums out this year, I would have been offended if they hadn't been booked for 2024.

As for the more commercial names, I'm quite open-minded aboutl what is a good Primavera bookkng.

I gave a solid listen to Maneskin (but haven't found anything good) and can't say I suffered during Calvin Harris set. However, both of these bookings felt very out of place for Primavera. 

On the other hand, bring me The Killers and Kylie Minoque for 2025!