Primavera Sound 2024

UsernameHere

6 minutes ago, festivalguy97 said:

If the day split is not done and some smaller artists may get added what’s the rush in publishing this so early? All the other festivals haven’t published almost anything, plus there’s a lot of exclusive artists here. We used to have the lineup even in late January some years ago. 

because festivals as a whole are announcing earlier, you say all the others havent announced but some definitely are. I assume the festival want tickets sold earlier after covid to help keep them all afloat, best way to sell tickets is to announce the line up. 

5 hours ago, diogozsz said:

The thing that does make me suspicious is how do we go from having 183 acts in the 3 main festival days (2023) to having 146 (2024).

They might get rid of the stage on the back corner of Mordor? 
it was too loud and was interfering the main stage. 
who knows ! 

4 minutes ago, Whos3000_ said:

I would expect: 

pulp-fka twigs-the national - deftones 

sza - vampire weekend - mitski - disclosure  

lana del rey - justice - pj harvey

with beth gibbons, clipse, charli and jai paul being the main counter-programming to the headliners

In the last 2 years these headliners wouldn’t even be second line names. Funny how different it’s going to be next year. At least not overcrowded, I couldn’t see anything in Kendrick and Rosalia concerts. 

6 minutes ago, Whos3000_ said:

I would expect: 

with beth gibbons, clipse, charli and jai paul being the main counter-programming to the headliners

Beth Gibbons will probably be in the Auditory. these are usually earlier than the headliners

I've already checked all the artists, made the list of names I need to check more thoroughly and my first impression was absolutely correct - the line-up is a classic Primavera with a lot of artists to be excited about now and another chunk of musicians to discover in the following months.

I'm also very happy with releasing the line-up so soon - more time for me to dig into it. I really hope they're never going back to late january releases.

As for the day splits, I'm little afraid it might be like last year - Thursday was so stacked that I missed far too many must-sees while Saturday almost completely missed me. But if they manage to divide the poster more evenly (to my tastes), it's going to be another beautiful Primavera.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, pipan said:

I've already checked all the artists, made the list of names I need to check more thoroughly and my first impression was absolutely correct - the line-up is a classic Primavera with a lot of artists to be excited about now and another chunk of musicians to discover in the following months.

I'm also very happy with releasing the line-up so soon - more time for me to dig into it. I really hope they're never going back to late january releases.

As for the day splits, I'm little afraid it might be like last year - Thursday was so stacked that I missed far too many must-sees while Saturday almost completely missed me. But if they manage to divide the poster more evenly (to my tastes), it's going to be another beautiful Primavera.

Yes I love the optimism! I've found many new names (already really like the sound of Model/Actriz, Scowl and Gel) and so many more still to check out. Yesterday I was feeling a bit "eh, it's OK but missing something" but I think next year is gonna be a good one.

25 minutes ago, pipan said:

Exactly, these first few days after line-up release are special. It's November and drizzly and horrible outside, perfect conditions to stay inside and explore the poster. 

So far I am interested in around 45-50 names including must-sees and some new ones I've only had time to listen to a few songs but really like on first listen. 

1 hour ago, festivalguy97 said:

In the last 2 years these headliners wouldn’t even be second line names. Funny how different it’s going to be next year. At least not overcrowded, I couldn’t see anything in Kendrick and Rosalia concerts. 

Mmm besides subjective taste I agree only for mitski basically. Pulp, pj, national, justice to me sound the same crowd size than Caroline polachek, st vincent, skrillex or new order. Sza and Lana obviously have been put in the same league as DM, Kendrick and Rosalia by the organisers. 
If Fka twigs releases another masterpiece I don’t get why she should not headline. 

Very interesting to read Gabi’s replies on Primavera Foros.

From what I understand, and we already spoke about this here, the artists are asking too much money and it’s harder to book artists for festivals that way because you have a certain budget to follow. Plus he also says that there weren’t many big artists available this year, so I guess Lana and SZA are the best ones they could get. Looking at what is coming to other festivals, like Green Day, Foo Fighters, Dua Lipa, Fred Again, I think he did good. None of these artists would fit Primavera and some of them already came. The real difference will be visible in couple of months when most of the festivals will have their lineups more or less ready.

Another point that he mentioned is that the scenarios and stages will remain the same, more artists are going to be added Ciutat and some smaller stages, no mentions on mid and big artists addition (personally believe that we might still get a couple of names more). Plus all the boiler room artists are going to be announced.

The day split is taking some time because they had to agree some small details and should come soon, I guess early next week probably.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, festivalguy97 said:

Very interesting to read Gabi’s replies on Primavera Foros.

From what I understand, and we already spoke about this here, the artists are asking too much money and it’s harder to book artists for festivals that way because you have a certain budget to follow. Plus he also says that there weren’t many big artists available this year, so I guess Lana and SZA are the best ones they could get. Looking at what is coming to other festivals, like Green Day, Foo Fighters, Dua Lipa, Fred Again, I think he did good. None of these artists would fit Primavera and some of them already came. The real difference will be visible in couple of months when most of the festivals will have their lineups more or less ready.

Another point that he mentioned is that the scenarios and stages will remain the same, more artists are going to be added Ciutat and some smaller stages, no mentions on mid and big artists addition (personally believe that we might still get a couple of names more). Plus all the boiler room artists are going to be announced.

The day split is taking some time because they had to agree some small details and should come soon, I guess early next week probably.

They also tried really hard to get boygenius but they are on hiatus

5 hours ago, Whos3000_ said:

I would expect: 

I’d be pretty happy with this as I need to miss the Saturday and my must see big artists would be deftones, VW and Pulp so fingers crossed you’re right

5 hours ago, Whos3000_ said:

I would expect: 

Out of interest how are you able to predict groupings?

10 hours ago, festivalguy97 said:

It would be very dangerous if she cancelled being the biggest name on the lineup. All of my friends would only go mainly for her, plus tons of people that I know that would love to see her, so hopefully she doesn't cancel. 

We can live in hope, but... yeah, odd one.

Overall i do think they have done a good job with the lineup given the hand they’ve been played.

there is, as ever, something for everyone from Lana and SZA for the kids and the likes of justice, phoenix, disclosure, vampire weekend for those of us that are no longer kids. Pulp and PJ Harvey classic names finally back. Exclusives of more contemporary names like fka twigs, jai paul. Something no one expected in deftones and clipse.

Then, as ever, just a wealth of range of styles across almost the entire musical spectrum on the undercard just waiting to be discovered.

model actriz and mandy indiana are must sees, that i have seen in UK small venues. They have done the rounds but you’ll never have a bad show from amyl & the sniffers. I didnt realise who beth gibbons was till i started exploring the lineup! I dont care for them but i have big national fans as friends and they are the perfect headliner for the prima audience.

At the end of the day you’re buying a ticket to a musical melting pot. Not just to see a handful of big names! 

And if its not for you, maybe next time? I could see this becoming a sneaky classic edition. Feels like theyre taking it back into a mid 2010s type lineup and trying to keep the hardcore year in year out attendees happy. The festival had grown far too large in 2022 and 2023 was therefore a bit of a reset, with 2024 completing that reset into still large but manageable total capacity / size.

Plus the less calvin harris and maneskin the better 🙂

Edited by Memory Man
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

Now I think about it, I suspect the Beth Gibbons booking wouldn't have been possible without the existence of the Auditori. Just another way the festival stands apart from its peers...

I wonder what her set will look like. I didn't find anywhere news that she's working on new album, so we're left with one album with Rustin Man and one orchestral collaboration that she did. No setlists on setlists.fm from her solo shows, only the ones with Rustin Man that didn't contain any Portishead

I'd love to get 2-3 Portishead songs in the show, but wouldn't want it to become a Portishead solo show. let's leave their songs to next year..

11 minutes ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

I wonder what her set will look like. I didn't find anywhere news that she's working on new album, so we're left with one album with Rustin Man and one orchestral collaboration that she did. No setlists on setlists.fm from her solo shows, only the ones with Rustin Man that didn't contain any Portishead

I'd love to get 2-3 Portishead songs in the show, but wouldn't want it to become a Portishead solo show. let's leave their songs to next year..

I’d be very surprised if she did any Portishead songs and she cant just do (very) old material.

It all points to her releasing a solo album or another Rustin Man style collaboration.

I saw her do a solo show in 2003 and she was superb. Incidentally support that day was Sparklehorse (RIP).