Primavera Sound 2024

UsernameHere

Just now, Quadrophobia said:

As much as I'm wondering why PS would bring them again already after heaving them headline twice in the last four editions, this seems pretty much nailed on. Gonna be my 10th National Gig then 😄

I have National overdose at this point. Went to see their most recent solo show. Decent although I've seen it all before.

2 minutes ago, Rico_Pliskin said:

I have National overdose at this point. Went to see their most recent solo show. Decent although I've seen it all before.

Especially since their festival gigs are usually more hit-oriented. I'd love a deep cuts set from them, but the usual progression of Fake Empire - Bloodbuzz - Terrible Love - I Need My Girl and Mr. November I could do without.

7 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

Just wanted to say that whilst I think Primavera might have got them, Mad Cool also starts 11-13th July, which is right next to their Edinburgh Castle gig 11th July, so they could be at either.

image.png.db820bfa4fa8650e7172ce6fc2f2edd7.png

BCN - Italy - France - Porto is a much more sensible route than Scotland - Madrid though. That first portion of dates just looks so much like PS sidedates.

8 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

BCN - Italy - France - Porto is a much more sensible route than Scotland - Madrid though. That first portion of dates just looks so much like PS sidedates.

I would tend to agree, but I wouldnt put it as nailed just yet with the presence of mad cool (which they have played in the past).

17 minutes ago, festivalguy97 said:

If they are booking The National, I don't see a problem of booking Dua Lipa either with her new album and show. 

Gabi said many times that the requirement for booking an act again for primavera is a new release from said artist. The National have released two new albums and Dua Lipa will release a new one. Same situation with The Smile. They will gladly book everyone of that list if possible.

Edited by Createur

2 minutes ago, Createur said:

Gabi said many times that the requirement for booking an act again for primavera is a new release form said artist. The National have released two new albums and Dua Lipa will release a new one. Same situation with The Smile. They will gladly book everyone of that list if possible.

It's just that there not many pop artists touring (or at least announced that they will tour), and yes SZA seems very probable but if she doesn't come what is left? Plus Dua Lipa new album is produced by Kevin Parker, so it's going to have a more alternative style, perfect for the festival, but I definitely agree that she is expensive and and that it's a bit early, so if Primavera cannot get SZA or Lana she's the best choice. And then again, why not having 2 of those?

Dua is looking to be headlining Coachella potentially and is a lock for Glastonbury, I can't see primavera sharing a headliner with them personally. Not in the same year anyway. She can likely do a Spanish show which will sell far better, I think people underestimate how big she is now, even compared to 2022.

Edited by scatteredscreens

21 minutes ago, festivalguy97 said:

It's just that there not many pop artists touring (or at least announced that they will tour), and yes SZA seems very probable but if she doesn't come what is left? Plus Dua Lipa new album is produced by Kevin Parker, so it's going to have a more alternative style, perfect for the festival, but I definitely agree that she is expensive and and that it's a bit early, so if Primavera cannot get SZA or Lana she's the best choice. And then again, why not having 2 of those?

I think he's just been announced as only one producer of many on the new album - and she's not doing a psychedelic rock album. Plus the headliners would have been booked long ago...

12 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

I really do think it is the size that makes Dua unlikely, not anything to do with material (as the fest booked her off the back of it in 2022). You can't really compare it to a band like The National or The Smile in terms of fee and size lol.

Then I guess SZA will be the main pop star. Maybe there will be something Spanish, like Karol G, and then the rest will be filled with rock, indie, rap and trap artists.

Pop headliner - I think SZA is the most likely for this slot and selfishly I hope it's her.

Electronic headliner - Massive Attack feels like a bit of a pipe dream at the moment, same as Portishead. Jungle seem most likely. I'll hope they've also looked at Chems/AFX/Moderat but let's see.

Hip-hop headliner - I'm sure it's Travis.

Latin headliner - Bad Bunny will be tricky/expensive to pull off but I have no doubt Primavera will have tried so it comes down to whether he's willing to do festivals because it's less effort logistically as it's a smaller show. 1 of C Tangana/J Balvin/Rauw Alejandro/Karol G will be booked if Bad Bunny isn't available. 

Others - The Cure (I hoped so but no evidence. Likely not). Pulp, PJ, The Smile - locked imo. Pixies maybe back in. Fontaines again, or Grian solo? Sufjan's new album is beautiful. He's another pipe-dream sadly.

Smaller hip-hop - I reckon Clipse do an EU tour and Pusha has a great relationship with the festival so I guess they make it happen. Benny the Butcher likely. Billy Woods maybe. Danny Brown should return with the upcoming album.

I'm also guessing we'll get another unexpected rock/metal act as a sub headliner and I have a feeling it might be a grunge/grunge-adjacent act. Don't ask me why.

I love the fact that we don't know too much this year. I'm mostly guessing. It's exciting!

18 minutes ago, UsernameHere said:

Pop headliner - I think SZA is the most likely for this slot and selfishly I hope it's her.

Electronic headliner - Massive Attack feels like a bit of a pipe dream at the moment, same as Portishead. Jungle seem most likely. I'll hope they've also looked at Chems/AFX/Moderat but let's see.

Latin headliner - Bad Bunny will be tricky/expensive to pull off but I have no doubt Primavera will have tried so it comes down to whether he's willing to do festivals because it's less effort logistically as it's a smaller show. 1 of C Tangana/J Balvin/Rauw Alejandro/Karol G will be booked if Bad Bunny isn't available. 

Others - The Cure (I hoped so but no evidence. Likely not). Pulp, PJ, The Smile - locked imo. Pixies maybe back in. Fontaines again, or Grian solo? Sufjan's new album is beautiful. He's another pipe-dream sadly.

Smaller hip-hop - I reckon Clipse do an EU tour and Pusha has a great relationship with the festival so I guess they make it happen. Benny the Butcher likely. Billy Woods maybe. Danny Brown should return with the upcoming album.

I'm also guessing we'll get another unexpected rock/metal act as a sub headliner and I have a feeling it might be a grunge/grunge-adjacent act. Don't ask me why.

I love the fact that we don't know too much this year. I'm mostly guessing. It's exciting!

I would add Troye Sivan, Sampha and (maybe) PinkPantheress from bigger artists. Kali Uchis also seems like a very probable name. And yes, then we have The National

21 minutes ago, UsernameHere said:

I don't really disagree, but I find it weird that everyone assumes Travis Scott to be likely and The Cure to be unlikely when there is the same evidence for both: none.

I think to have a proper discussion, we gotta come back to actual indicators not just "would be a good fit" if we have no idea if they are touring Europe.

Right now, PJ Harvey, Pulp, The National and Kali Uchis are the only headline level names there is any proper indication for. Travis Scott, Sza, The Cure, Massive Attack, Tool, The Smile, Bad Bunny, Karol G and so on are all acts that make sense, but none of those could be called a rumour yet

Edited by Quadrophobia
  • Upvote 1