Your Missing Three

The Red Telephone

4 minutes ago, henry bear said:

They were on late Saturday afternoon, Elvis Costello was the headliner that day. Loads of punters clambered up the Pyramid onto the stage, it was chaotic 

BB69BA75-A3CF-4BEB-82E7-2936ABDF2962.jpeg

I've got the bootleg recording of that set. It honestly didn't sound that great. I mean, it's fine, but it sounded pretty bog standard really.

"Your missing three" implies acts I could have seen since I've been going which is 2010. 

Fleetwood Mac - my favourite band but I can't forgive the greed. (Very very very unlikely)

Prince - Would have been amazing, if only the stars had aligned. (Impossible)

Madonna - Greatest hits setlist on the pyramid is a girl in her mid 40s pop dream. (Unlikely as time goes by).

27 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Queen

ABBA

Led Zeppelin 

….all only in their prime.

Page and Plant played the Pyramid in 1995 and included some Led Zep stuff in their set. I only watched it on TV at the time, but it's still one of my favourite Glastonbury sets of all time. I sometime stand in the Pyramid field and think about the fact that set happened there. It's all on Youtube pretty much, and a lot of the footage captures the 'old Glastonbury' too. For example, the guy in the audience playing along on his digeridoo at 0:42 in this video is something you don't see any more.

4 minutes ago, G1T said:

Page and Plant played the Pyramid in 1995 and included some Led Zep stuff in their set. I only watched it on TV at the time, but it's still one of my favourite Glastonbury sets of all time. I sometime stand in the Pyramid field and think about the fact that set happened there. It's all on Youtube pretty much, and a lot of the footage captures the 'old Glastonbury' too. For example, the guy in the audience playing along on his digeridoo at 0:42 in this video is something you don't see any more.

Thank you, I will take a proper look. I did see Page & Plant in concert but sadly not at Glastonbury.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, G1T said:

I've got the bootleg recording of that set. It honestly didn't sound that great. I mean, it's fine, but it sounded pretty bog standard really.

True, I came away from the festival with a bootleg cassette of their set and played it once. At the time of course they sounded good enough; fan recorded boots can sound rather poor. They weren't helped by the fact that the first band due to play that day, Amazulu, were a no-show, but later turned up. The Smiths came on earlier than billed and played a shortened set to accommodate Amazulu, who came on after them. I think they only played about 30 minutes, and were probably the most anticipated act over the weekend, and drew an enormous crowd who weren't happy about them going off early.

9 minutes ago, G1T said:

I was there and it was proper good. Although, still weird to me that they weren't considered big enough to headline. Personally for me though Robert solo in '93 was the best. 50% of the set was Zep classics performed pretty much like they are on the record (rather than the world music reinterpretations  we get now) and his band were hot.

• Upvote 1

I thought you were going to ask which three you felt were missing from this year. In which case my answer would have been Scary, Baby and Ginger 😁

As it is, I'll have to be predictable and say Pink Floyd, Prince and Madonna. I still reckon Madonna is a possibility, especially for next year. Perfect timing as she'll have not long finished her first proper "Best Of" tour.

And I guarantee it will be the year I don't get a ticket...

48 minutes ago, Drinky said:

Prince hurts more than any of the others because we know how much Michael Eavis wanted to make it happen, how hard they pushed for him year after year, and how they basically let him dictate whatever terms he wanted in 2015 (no agreement until a month out from the fest etc) and it still didn’t happen… then he died.

And it probably would have been the greatest set we ever saw up on that stage.

2014 I think - Metallica were the replacement?

Not to make this too repetitive but I echo the above and Bowie as I missed that year

not Pyramid but also add OSees - destined to never play despite being in the country every year twice during the summer but never being on the bill… and would tear up Woodsies or Park as headliners…. we can but hope  

Edited by mario man