Smallest crowds on big stages/biggest crowds on small stages?

churlie100

Smallest on a big stage

i walked past Boy Better Know in 2017 on the other stage. 

500 is stretching it, more like 300 there. I have heard that it got bigger as the set went on. (I wasnt there)

----------

Biggest on a Small stage - Baggy Mondays is a shambles every year.

Royal Blood in the no so small JPT was a bit of a shambles.

Oh god, yeah, I too walked past BBK in 2017 on the way to Metronomy and could not believe how small that crowd was. It must have only been 10-15 mins until show time too. 

Courteneers on Woodsies will probably be quite tiny this year given the Churnups clash. 

i used to follow New Model Army, and their set on the NME / other (had the name changed by then?) stage in 2002 was, whilst absolutely fantastic, rather sparsely populated. 

mind you, it was the first year after the massive fence went up and it felt like there were like 500 people on site for the whole festival... i remember there was a lot of talk about the "vibe" having been lost because of the low numbers but i would take that anyday over todays numbers.

biggest crowd in small venue - not sure really, maybe being stuck in the Portishead / Evan Dando crowd in the acoustic stage in '95... felt like half the festival was there...

or the Levellers in Left Field when they played on the Thursday whatever year that was... the fact it was a Thursday, and it was raining, meant pretty much everyone on site at the time had tried to get in the tent... 

Edited by -TLR-
spelling

46 minutes ago, FakeEmpire said:

Smallest crowds on main stages where I've actually been at the show and not just walking through:

Emeli Sande, Other - 2017
Frightened Rabbit, Other - 2016
Savages, John Peel - 2013

Was the Frightened Rabbit one when the stages stopped for a while due to thunder and lightning? Think they were on after everything restarted, but it was still pouring with rain and schedules were all a bit off. I was at that, ended up on tv. Must have been about 200 people max. Definitely the smallest crowd I've seen at a main stage, shame as they were a brilliant live act

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nikkic said:

CATQ had a small crowd when they headlined in 2019.

Didn’t even make the mixing desk. 

22 minutes ago, Gacheezbo said:

Smallest Pyramid headline crowd I've seen was The Cure, I loved it, they were great and could go for a piss and walk right to the front again no problem. 

I was at the West Holts - Janelle Monae's crowd wasnt that big tbh. 

So then.. where did everyone go?! 

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

7 minutes ago, ilovelanegan said:

LCD on the Other Stage was a small but EXTREMELY enthusiastic and completely awesome crowd. One of my top five ever Glasto gigs.

Ting Tings whatever year their song came out and Streets in 2019 - both in JPT. Both times the crowd sprawled a long way outside the tent.

yeah LCD never stood a chance against Coldplay but the gig and crowd that was there was sensational

honestly to this day think Rolf Harris is the biggest crowd i've seen at the pyramind, though Kylie was f**king gigantic too. 

Sugababes at Avalon last year was by far the worst I've seen/been in.  We turned up early and caught the last few songs of Nick Mulvey from just outside the tent but could see quite well. Within minutes of him finishing, the field was crammed and full of pushy arseholes just trying to walk through a sardine tin crowd to get in the tent.  Saw 2 arguments descend into blows.  Mrs 4am was scared.  Left after 3 songs. As we walked away, there were people pushing by the chain of marshalls who had closed the field and climbing over caravans to get in.  Mental.

Small crowd/big stage is tricky - other than the first act of the day, which can be sparse.  Hard to gauge when you're in it, though especially after dark.  Was told that Skrillex at the Other was pretty small, but we were in front of the sound desk and it felt busy from there.

2 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Within minutes of him finishing, the field was crammed and full of pushy arseholes just trying to walk through a sardine tin crowd to get in the tent.  Saw 2 arguments descend into blows.  Mrs 4am was scared.  Left after 3 songs. As we walked away, there were people pushing by the chain of marshalls who had closed the field and climbing over caravans to get in.  Mental.

No surprise there

A lot of folks with that attitude last year

But of course there's never any violence at Glastonbury

Edited by Skip997

25 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

No surprise there

A lot of folks with that attitude last year

But of course there's never any violence at Glastonbury

Only the second time I've seen any.  The first one was years ago very late (early) in the Dance Village, where some kid had clearly snorted all his stash in one go and was looking to kick off.  Luckily, his less f**ked up mates grabbed him and dragged him off.

1 hour ago, found home in 2009 said:

Was the Frightened Rabbit one when the stages stopped for a while due to thunder and lightning? Think they were on after everything restarted, but it was still pouring with rain and schedules were all a bit off. I was at that, ended up on tv. Must have been about 200 people max. Definitely the smallest crowd I've seen at a main stage, shame as they were a brilliant live act

Yeah, I remember it was rainy and miserable. They had to cut out at least 1 song. Shame, they were one of my favourite bands.

• Like 1