Let's talk Mental Health...and Glastonbury.

PassingCloud

22 minutes ago, Quark said:

Don't know the circumstances of your company obvs, but I find the reminder that companies will (in general) cut headcount as soon as they need to with barely a backward glance can help to alleviate the guilt a bit.

This.

A lot of company play on that guilt. That "do it for your colleagues" thing. The company has its share of the responsibility.

Slightly related, I am sure a lot of the below members of the audiences will bring home some part of this festival. (If you don't want tot see the whole thing, forward to 2.30. Grab a tissue too.

5 hours ago, moogster said:

I'm guessing you read the art of not giving a F*** book? 

Anyway, not a flaw in my view. You have to give a f*** about what matters. Annoying customers? Doesn't matter. Going above and beyond at work even for annoying customers? F*** that S*** . Will you remember going above and beyond for them in 10 years. No. Will you remember all the nice walks? Yeah you will, even if it's just the feeling they gave you.

To get back to the festival, it is a concentration of everything that we should give a f*** about. Art, being together with people without too much BS ("oooh that one's outfit is soooo 2019..."), being in a nice valley, having a good meal, enjoy the sun and the rain. The intensity of the experience is something to take home to focus on the non festival equivalents. Enjoying a song, smiling to a stranger, wait until a blackbird has finished digging in your garden to go in (yes, real life example obviously ). This is what we should give a f*** about. 

I was off work for a few months a couple of years ago for being "overworked"  because I gave too much of a f***. Believe me this has stopped. The festival reminds me of what matters yearly, should I go down the wrong path again.

End of rant.

I haven't. I like to think I'm self taught.

Also, excellent rant.

Another one in the 'really need to quit' club. Less so since I stopped giving a f**k, but still. I'd feel absolutely zero guilt, my main reason for staying is i love living where I do and I also love the very cheap rent in staff accommodation. All sortable of course, and mostly just an excuse, but I haven't paid market rent in this country for about 15 years (mix of staff accommodation, mates rates, travelling and living abroad). 

So not giving a f**k it is for a while longer then.

3 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

youve got it spot on for me .... I really hate my job and the way people are treated / treat others .... I need to get out fast .... or its going to cause me issues... ive no idea where to go , 28 years in the same place ( a variety of jobs ) but now under newish contracts they try and railroad things through .... recently they tried telling me as part of a consultation that my hours would be moving to 5am from 6am  starts in 4 weeks (as thats the notice required ) ... i appealed on health grounds and was told it would be referred to occupational health .... that was 8 weeks ago !!! ive not been told if its been dropped or not everyone else thats been asked has moved . Crux of it is a job change but I have this plan after every festival and in my head I know this 

Are you able to / have you downloaded your employers Policies & Procedures Documents?  I also worked for the same company (purported charity) for a 28 year period. They insisted that they wanted me to do X, Y and Z, and insisted that they could. I was able to show them, numerous times via their own P & P Documents that they could not. And they didn't - because they then knew that they could not do as such. Believe me, they tried. Those documents are 'potentially' a weapon against themselves. Just sayin'.

8 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Are you able to / have you downloaded your employers Policies & Procedures Documents?  I also worked for the same company (purported charity) for a 28 year period. They insisted that they wanted me to do X, Y and Z, and insisted that they could. I was able to show them, numerous times via their own P & P Documents that they could not. And they didn't - because they then knew that they could not do as such. Believe me, they tried. Those documents are 'potentially' a weapon against themselves. Just sayin'.

think they have me over a barrel in terms of contract ... but im likely to be able to prove that they will impact my health condition diabetes with a change of shift that means getting up at 4am .... one advantage of my health condition , I do however think its been quietly dropped as there have been no contact from occupational health thus far 

5 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

think they have me over a barrel in terms of contract ... but im likely to be able to prove that they will impact my health condition diabetes with a change of shift that means getting up at 4am .... one advantage of my health condition , I do however think its been quietly dropped as there have been no contact from occupational health thus far 

They (my employers) thought they had me over a barrel, on several occasions. They didn't. That's what I am saying. Those documents are goldust. 

4 hours ago, philipsteak said:

I haven't. I like to think I'm self taught.

I certainly do plenty of cgaf, I did tons in the run up to last weekend.  Mine is balanced by other times where I work eye watering numbers of hours in a job which I don't particularly enjoy and haven't really advanced in many years. 

Given I work with some people who are sound and I can pay my bills, I'm thinking my problems don't really make the grade... So I'm out... 

I went to my first glasto in 2008 with my best mate who lives miles away and a group of his friends I barely knew back then. Last minute decision as it had not sold out, I got my ticket 2 days before the festival.

I'd recently come out and was struggling with it, he'd known for a while, but I hadn't the nerve to tell the big group of "lads" we were camping with on my first night at a festival. 

I went off for a wander and when I got back to camp, ended up going to bed knackered. I woke up in my tent in the middle of the night when everyone came back and they were all up chatting outside. The news had got out and I overheard lots of comments like "I wouldn't like if if my best mate came out to me" etc. I then listened to my friend stand up for me in the most brilliant fashion, completely unaware I could hear. 

I spent the next day on my own wandering around the site, I just didn't know how to react to what I'd heard from others in the group, and my first full day at Glasto was spent speaking to strangers, finding new places, and chilling in hammocks. It helped me gather my thoughts and is one of my favourite days in all 11 Glastos I've been to. Just me, my thoughts, a big festival, and no plan. In the evening I met back up with everyone, and decided to just have the discussion before the music started on the Friday. It cleared the air, we all ended up having a great festival, I've been back with that same group every year now and for the last 5 with my boyfriend in tow.

I was best man to that best friend when he got married 8 years later and am the godfather to his two boys. He's long since stopped going, but I have promised to take the boys one day. 

There is magic and healing in that place. 

• Like 8
  • Upvote 8

1 hour ago, Db79 said:

I went to my first glasto in 2008 with my best mate who lives miles away and a group of his friends I barely knew back then. Last minute decision as it had not sold out, I got my ticket 2 days before the festival.

I'd recently come out and was struggling with it, he'd known for a while, but I hadn't the nerve to tell the big group of "lads" we were camping with on my first night at a festival. 

I went off for a wander and when I got back to camp, ended up going to bed knackered. I woke up in my tent in the middle of the night when everyone came back and they were all up chatting outside. The news had got out and I overheard lots of comments like "I wouldn't like if if my best mate came out to me" etc. I then listened to my friend stand up for me in the most brilliant fashion, completely unaware I could hear. 

I spent the next day on my own wandering around the site, I just didn't know how to react to what I'd heard from others in the group, and my first full day at Glasto was spent speaking to strangers, finding new places, and chilling in hammocks. It helped me gather my thoughts and is one of my favourite days in all 11 Glastos I've been to. Just me, my thoughts, a big festival, and no plan. In the evening I met back up with everyone, and decided to just have the discussion before the music started on the Friday. It cleared the air, we all ended up having a great festival, I've been back with that same group every year now and for the last 5 with my boyfriend in tow.

I was best man to that best friend when he got married 8 years later and am the godfather to his two boys. He's long since stopped going, but I have promised to take the boys one day. 

There is magic and healing in that place. 

A lovely story beautifully told. 

That's only your fifth post here - more please 😊

17 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

youve got it spot on for me .... I really hate my job and the way people are treated / treat others .... I need to get out fast .... or its going to cause me issues... ive no idea where to go , 28 years in the same place ( a variety of jobs ) but now under newish contracts they try and railroad things through .... recently they tried telling me as part of a consultation that my hours would be moving to 5am from 6am  starts in 4 weeks (as thats the notice required ) ... i appealed on health grounds and was told it would be referred to occupational health .... that was 8 weeks ago !!! ive not been told if its been dropped or not everyone else thats been asked has moved . Crux of it is a job change but I have this plan after every festival and in my head I know this 

Similar here. Though I’m self-employed. I do have an exit strategy for in a few years time (hopefully it will come to fruition), but in the meantime I hate it. Would like to find other work, work with other people perhaps (working alone gets tough), but I don’t seem to have many options at present. 

I just look forward to the next round of gigs/festivals etc and try and see current  work as a means to an end — which isn’t the best attitude, I admit, when you’ve got to try and find the motivation day after day.

Now if only we could pool all of our resources and make a living doing something (assume it would be festival, music, community related) that we all love!

On 7/4/2023 at 7:59 AM, PassingCloud said:

which isn’t the best attitude, I admit, when you’ve got to try and find the motivation day after day.

That's the same situation that I felt when I was last working. In the end I was taking drugs at work, just to try to get through. I eventually 'managed' the situation by getting myself made redundant. That was liberty. 

• 8 months later...

Never stumbled across this thread before, but wish I had.

I've had depression my whole life and spent many years drowning the negative thoughts with alcohol and playing at being a "normal" citizen.  My first Glasto changed my life as it opened my eyes to so many things, but also showed me that humanity and society could be inclusive, supportive and differences were to be celebrated.  In 2013 I split with my wife of 10 years, with whom I have 2 kids and the event triggered me.  I hated being on my own away from the kids and after 6 weeks attempted suicide.  Luckily, I failed.  I got some therapy and support and have been largely OK every since.

At G last year, I had an altercation with a coked up selfish w*nker and went to throw a punch.  Luckily, my group stopped me and his stopped him.  That night I went very dark.  By the end of July I was still in a bad place and blaming myself, feeling guilt, shame, self loathing and work pressure was ramping up.  My mind broke.  My wife had to stop me slashing my wrist.  I went back into therapy, on to antidepressants and had 10 weeks off work.  I'm lucky.  My family, friends and employer were nothing but understanding and helpful.  I now feel like myself again.

I'm a little concerned about this year's festival and for a while considered not going, given what happened last year.  There was so much inconsiderate behaviour, open cocaine use and (to me) tension in crowds that I'd never really felt before.  The flashpoint when I lost it was by no means the only incident of pushy (coked up) selfishness I'd experienced that weekend, which felt a million miles from previous festivals.  Maybe I was already in a downward spiral, but I still have a degree of nervousness about this year.  Luckily, I've had a refresher in coping techniques.

Per the YouTube clip above, I think most of the attendees will have some demons.  I'm 49 so struggle a little bit with being open about this IRL as my upbringing was very 70's/80's.  All I will say is get help if you need it.

I've decided this year that if the "vibe" of the festival is more 2023 and less 2019/previous and there are selfish, pushy w*nkers and blatant coke-heads everywhere then this will be my last.  For my own good.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 10

20 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Out of upvotes for today *virtual upvote* !

I see what you mean with the coked up vibe, but I think you can still find quite a lot of spaces where this somehow isn't the case? I'm not saying spend your fest at Acoustic but..

It seems you have a nice supporting group of people going with you though so hopefully this will help you?

1 hour ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

I've had depression my whole life and spent many years drowning the negative thoughts with alcohol and playing at being a "normal" citizen.  My first Glasto changed my life as it opened my eyes to so many things, but also showed me that humanity and society could be inclusive, supportive and differences were to be celebrated.  In 2013 I split with my wife of 10 years, with whom I have 2 kids and the event triggered me.  I hated being on my own away from the kids and after 6 weeks attempted suicide.  Luckily, I failed.  I got some therapy and support and have been largely OK every since.

At G last year, I had an altercation with a coked up selfish w*nker and went to throw a punch.  Luckily, my group stopped me and his stopped him.  That night I went very dark.  By the end of July I was still in a bad place and blaming myself, feeling guilt, shame, self loathing and work pressure was ramping up.  My mind broke.  My wife had to stop me slashing my wrist.  I went back into therapy, on to antidepressants and had 10 weeks off work.  I'm lucky.  My family, friends and employer were nothing but understanding and helpful.  I now feel like myself again.

I'm a little concerned about this year's festival and for a while considered not going, given what happened last year.  There was so much inconsiderate behaviour, open cocaine use and (to me) tension in crowds that I'd never really felt before.  The flashpoint when I lost it was by no means the only incident of pushy (coked up) selfishness I'd experienced that weekend, which felt a million miles from previous festivals.  Maybe I was already in a downward spiral, but I still have a degree of nervousness about this year.  Luckily, I've had a refresher in coping techniques.

Per the YouTube clip above, I think most of the attendees will have some demons.  I'm 49 so struggle a little bit with being open about this IRL as my upbringing was very 70's/80's.  All I will say is get help if you need it.

I've decided this year that if the "vibe" of the festival is more 2023 and less 2019/previous and there are selfish, pushy w*nkers and blatant coke-heads everywhere then this will be my last.  For my own good.

Thank you for sharing. Hoping you a wonderful 2024. 

1 hour ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Fair play for sharing that . If you fancy a chilled pint at any point chuck me a dm on here . I check most mornings before the day starts . Here’s to a better one this year 

A fantastic thread that I've never come across before but wish I had.

Just to briefly say that both times I've been, 2016 and 2019, I was generally speaking on pretty good terms with myself yet came out feeling even better.

This past year has been tricky for me. I had 3 months off work, which I normally love, due to a mix of stress, severe anxiety, depression and autism burnout. By the time I returned to work (at a school) I knew I wasn't 100% fit but it wasn't long before the summer holidays so thought I'd manage the wind down to that and then just hoped that as I had quite a few nice things to look forward to (Lowlands festival, Amsterdam and lots of cricket to watch) I would be back to normal by September. I wasn't and that half term was a real struggle and the struggles continued a bit after that. It's only been the last couple of months that I've felt more myself, although I still don't feel comfortable going to certain things on my own which I usually would be fine with. 

I'm confident I'll continue to improve up to the festival but I am worried how I'll cope if I have a backwards step or if the crowds at the festival feel too overwhelming. I know there's chilled areas but getting to them may be difficult and so I'm working on strategies for my group so they can pick up on signs that I might be struggling and therefore get me to a place of calm. 

I won't miss going for the world, especially as being fortunate to go during term time means I don't know when the next Glastonbury will be. I think it's just best to have plans in place just in case.

2 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

There were some safe spaces introduced by Emily recently which hopefully will return and were part of a worthy rest initiative . Might be worth looking these up when the map drops for those that might need them 

@4AssedMonkey Here is a link to the Sensory Calm Space information -  https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/access-information/sensory-calm-space/ - You will probably need to contact the Accessible Team to use them, drop them an email to - accessibility@glastonburyfestivals.co.uk they are a great team!

3 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

What a great post and I am pleased that you got the help you needed. Well done in seeking that help as I know how hard that part is as I have been there. 

We felt very much like this after 2023, especially Elton John. I am 62 and my knees can't do it any more so I rented a mobility scooter, coked up idiots were everywhere and even tried climbing over me in my scooter instead of walking round me. It was a miserable experience that was then totally turned around by my 4 self appointed bouncers who protected me and physically pushed people away who tried to get anywhere near me. They were great and transformed the last night into a positive experience. In 2024 we have vowed to avoid the Pyramid on Sunday night, which will hopefully avoid a reoccurrence of this. It helps that we have no idea who SZA is, other than what I have read on here. I have hearing loss so getting into new music is quite hard for me. The Arctic Monkeys were the last new band I got into as like them I come from North Sheffield and understand their accents as my cousins live in High Green. (I recall you being from Sheffield too?)

I hope you have a better time this year too. Our aim is to spend more time in The Greenfields, enjoy The Woods, the Theatre and Circus and visit Glastonbury on Sea. The Accessible team had exclusive use of this area on Sunday morning in 2023, (see screenshot) hopefully this will happen again in 2024. People with Mental Health issues can use the Accessible Campsite and facilities so it might be worth looking into.

I wish you well for 2024 and hope you return next year. 🤗

Screenshot 2024-04-04 190006.png

Edited by StoneCircle
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the positivity gang. It’s one of the reasons I love it here. 

@StoneCircle Hillsborough originally, but had grandparents in High Green, so know it well. #WAWAW 😜

• Like 1

5 hours ago, StoneCircle said:

even tried climbing over me in my scooter instead of walking round me.

i've experienced that too (macca crowd 2022), was very horrid is part of what made me decide it was time to give it up.

15 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

There were some safe spaces introduced by Emily recently which hopefully will return and were part of a worthy rest initiative . Might be worth looking these up when the map drops for those that might need them 

I'm out of upvotes but thanks, I'll look out for them.

there was a worthy rest space in the park and at silver hayes last year they were staffed with mental health professions sadly not 24 hours but they were there a lot.  I run a team of 12 up at the park and on my little team we have 3 mental health first aiders and my daughter who is a qualified NHS psychiatric nurse. and I can't speak for the other 300 volunteers in the park but I seriously doubt we are the only ones nor will we be the only ones for the whole site. there is help for people who are struggling or need a space or a person to talk to. it was drummed into the volunteers last year about where to send people who were having a crisis so most stewards should be able to at the very least point you in the right direction  - enjoy the festival, make sure you have at least one person in your group that is aware of your concerns 

• Like 1

On 4/4/2024 at 3:59 PM, 4AssedMonkey said:

Ban the coke. People are much nicer on other drugs lol

• Upvote 1